Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August Order Estimate Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vin has appeared on my account and app after an error for the last 20 or so days.
20 days after vin assignment in system,
6.5 to 7 days after production completion.
2 days before shipment arrival at dealership.

SAs believed the vin error on the app would resolve itself after completion of construction.

Maybe, as some have stated, account refresh happens once a week.

All my major changes have been Monday or Tuesday as best I can remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: samori01
Does this sound at all plausible. I called my local Tesla storefront to inquire about the likelihood of me getting car this year given a 12/2–12/31 EDD (8/5 OD) and no VIN yet assigned. They looked up my information and said my car (red MYLR/blk interior/5seat/induction wheels/noFSD or tow) was being built and scheduled completion was 12/23. They said once build was completed they would assign VIN and payment could be made delivery could be scheduled before year end. I was under impression cars were assigned to individuals only AFTER being built. The Tesla rep made it sound like a specific car had already been allocated to me. Were they making this up to placate me or does it sound like something is actually happening? I’m in Bay Area about 20 miles from Fremont factory.

Reactions: Oddmanout
Does this sound at all plausible. I called my local Tesla storefront to inquire about the likelihood of me getting car this year given a 12/2–12/31 EDD (8/5 OD) and no VIN yet assigned. They looked up my information and said my car (red MYLR/blk interior/5seat/induction wheels/noFSD or tow) was being built and scheduled completion was 12/23. They said once build was completed they would assign VIN and payment could be made delivery could be scheduled before year end. I was under impression cars were assigned to individuals only AFTER being built. The Tesla rep made it sound like a specific car had already been allocated to me. Were they making this up to placate me or does it sound like something is actually happening? I’m in Bay Area about 20 miles from Fremont factory.
Sounds like what they call a Soft Match. Which can change for any number of reasons. Seems Hard Match happens after car is built.

@kc1953 believe it when you see it :)

in all seriousness, it could be possible/probable yes. in other threads folks have reported receiving precise/specific information from SAs/Reps, including "VIN Assigned" dates. I don't know the validity/outcome of that information, but it's possible that this local Tesla store was able to give you such information.

Reactions: kc1953
@kc1953 believe it when you see it :)

in all seriousness, it could be possible/probable yes. in other threads folks have reported receiving precise/specific information from SAs/Reps, including "VIN Assigned" dates. I don't know the validity/outcome of that information, but it's possible that this local Tesla store was able to give you such information.
Yep, I was told I would get a VIN December 5...it is now December 20 and I have no VIN and my EDD was pushed back to January. I would have rather not been told anything and saved the disappointment. I don't believe anything until it is good and done!

This is likely true.

If you read my msgs you can see it aligns.
Soft match prior to manufacturing is what is supposed to happen, hard matched once manufactured. Lots of SAs explained my error (soft vin step was skipped and vin input in hard match before manufacturing) would resolve itself after manufacturing which it did.

It took them hours after manufacturing to load car for shipping and is to arrive across the country to me in 7 or 8 days.

Congrats as long as nothing unexpected happens during assembly or Transport

Been taking a break from the TMC forums and Tesla subreddits for the past few days, and it's been a great feeling. As long as I can take delivery in early 2022, I'll be a happy camper :)

However, having to go to the gas station, in the interim, is a load of crap!!!
Ha! Every time I go to the gas station I say that it will be the last time I have to fill up, then my EDD gets pushed back... :(

This is likely true.

If you read my msgs you can see it aligns.
Soft match prior to manufacturing is what is supposed to happen, hard matched once manufactured. Lots of SAs explained my error (soft vin step was skipped and vin input in hard match before manufacturing) would resolve itself after manufacturing which it did.

It took them hours after manufacturing to load car for shipping and is to arrive across the country to me in 7 or 8 days.

Congrats as long as nothing unexpected happens during assembly or Transport
Nothing can happen in transport since I’m local to the Fremont plant. unless the person driving it to my home crashes and wrecks car!

Just my theory but I bet it has to do with their logistics system re-routing certain cars due to location (cost more to ship across country to person ahead in line vs delivering locally to someone who's back in the line) and configuration.
That’s not it. Classically Tesla would ship to other parts of the country and “hold” CA to push a bunch of cars EOQ. They’ve said they are stopping that.

I live 30 mins from Fremont. I’m on day 135.
Been taking a break from the TMC forums and Tesla subreddits for the past few days, and it's been a great feeling. As long as I can take delivery in early 2022, I'll be a happy camper :)

However, having to go to the gas station, in the interim, is a load of crap!!!
I got outsized mad at stopping for gas today. 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: kjudd11
Called my rep today as well. He also gave me the 12/23 date as when I would get my VIN. I was shocked he gave such a specific date considering my EDD jumped from Dec to mid January 2 days ago. But he assured me that I would see a Vin on the 23rd. Let’s see what happens.

Reactions: pgcoco
Called my rep today as well. He also gave me the 12/23 date as when I would get my VIN. I was shocked he gave such a specific date considering my EDD jumped from Dec to mid January 2 days ago. But he assured me that I would see a Vin on the 23rd. Let’s see what happens.
I wish my SA was so informative. Every time I message him he says "No Update at this time"

Reactions: xSCMx