Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Augusta GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interactive Tesla Supercharger Map - TESLARATI.com Looks like it is under construction. 1069 Stevens Creek Rd

Scoopup, that (awesome) site is getting its information from this site, in this case THIS THREAD. Don't use that site as evidence that it's under construction, use it to find these TMC discussion threads :)

As of Monday night, the conduit was in the ground and the hardware for eight pedestals had been staged. Sorry no picture, but I'm sure someone will provide soon enough.

Here's a visual of the status at 9:28 this morning
2016-05-25 09.28.08.jpg

I'd say June 10 may be too soon. But there are two Chargepoint CHAdeMOs on Plugshare (at GA Power and the Medical College) and 2 Tesla HPWC destination chargers at the Partridge Inn which deliver 53 miles of rated range per hour of charge. Stopping for lunch at the Partridge Inn is quite nice. (Pull into the parking garage from downhill --- Hickman Rd side. HPWCs are on your right, right by the walkway to the entrance.) Hotel manager is a Tesla fan from the Roadster days. There is free J1772 charging in some downtown parking garages in Columbia. These are not good solutions if you are in a hurry and need tor return to Atlanta during the same day. GA Power is fastest and most reliable bet, but overpriced and a bit out of the way.

In the past there has been an unpredictable delay between the time a SC site is physically complete and the time it is tested and turned on. I've been waiting on Augusta so long, I'll believe it when I see it.

scoots

I just got back home (to Mt Pleasant, by the way) from Augusta at 8 PM, Tuesday, the 31st. I am trying to upload a jpeg that shows some of the cable pulling work in progress at 4:30 PM today. Apparently the new interface exceeds my html skill set. Clearly the work has shifted to installing the wiring at this point. Still a ways to go.

I charged and ate lunch at the Partridge Inn. I got 69 miles of range in about an hour and a half, and grilled salmon to die for, for $12. The GA Power CHAdeMO works with some trying, but it is a pricey alternative. S&S Cafeteria directly across Walton Way has a sign that is end on to the chargers. You might not notice it.

The CHAdeMO at the Medical College has been in the middle of a very large construction project. I did not check it today. It is cheaper than GA Power, but you may have to pay for parking when the construction is over.

scoots

I just got back home (to Mt Pleasant, by the way) from Augusta at 8 PM, Tuesday, the 31st. I am trying to upload a jpeg that shows some of the cable pulling work in progress at 4:30 PM today. Apparently the new interface exceeds my html skill set. Clearly the work has shifted to installing the wiring at this point. Still a ways to go.

I charged and ate lunch at the Partridge Inn. I got 69 miles of range in about an hour and a half, and grilled salmon to die for, for $12. The GA Power CHAdeMO works with some trying, but it is a pricey alternative. S&S Cafeteria directly across Walton Way has a sign that is end on to the chargers. You might not notice it.

The CHAdeMO at the Medical College has been in the middle of a very large construction project. I did not check it today. It is cheaper than GA Power, but you may have to pay for parking when the construction is over.

scoots

Agree the GA Power Chademo is $$$, but in lieu of a Supercharger, has always been good. We did look into the Cafeteria once, but opted to get a Firehouse sub down the street instead...

I'm in Mount Pleasant top, and this SC is going to be a biggie for us.

Reactions: driver_EV
shonline,

This SC is going to be a biggie for us as well. We have a 2013 white/tan 85. We can barely make it from Santee to Augusta and back without charging if we go cross-country through Neeses or Norway. We first tried charging at the Heritage RV Park. The staff is helpful, but there is nothing in the area except an artesian well that my grandfather took me to 65 years ago to collect water for his chemistry class to analyze. The numerous Augusta J1772s are so variable and unreliable that you need to line up 2 or 3 just to make sure one works. It's hard to plan what you are going to do if you don't even know where you are going to be. And then there is the matter of the unknown speed of charging.

So the CHAdeMOs represent a big step forward. At least you can count on GA Power to have a working charger. (Although I was using the supercharger in Moab, Utah, in April when the entire town lost power for 2.5 hours. The saving grace was that the service stations couldn't pump gas either. And there is an ice cream shop just across the street from the supercharger.) The Medical College (or whatever they have chosen to call it this week) may be a good alternative once the construction stops. I have used it with Chargepoint, but the Student Center was closed so there was no food and no restroom.

But I simply cannot get over the fact that the tired old Partridge Inn has been renovated into a modern luxury resort hotel, just like it was 100 years ago when my grandparents moved to Augusta. Before the railroads discovered Florida, snowbirds would winter in Augusta and Aiken at a series of huge resort hotels like the Bon Air (across Walton Way from the Partridge Inn), doing golf in Augusta and horsey things in Aiken. The Augusta National and all the horse farms around Aiken are the legacy of this period. There were the Lenwood and Forest Hills Hotels in Augusta as well. The latter two became VA hospitals when the tourists moved on to Florida. The Lenwood building still exists, but the Forest Hills was torn down. It's golf course still exists, however. I can't name the hotels in Aiken, but I think one is still open. The summer end of this snowbird cycle was Bar Harbor ME. At first people traveled between the two along the coast by packet boats, but then the railroads came and eventually opened up even warmer places further south.

Having grown up till the age of ten in the neighborhood, I have sentimental attachments to Summerville, or "The Hill" as locals actually call it. One of my earliest memories is my great aunt walking me up to the soda fountain at the Partridge Inn, which was already in decline when I first knew it in the late 40's/early 50's. So to see it come alive today in a way that I have never known it is exciting, especially with 2 Destination HPWCs and a Clipper Creek J1772.

It is about 5 miles from the Partridge Inn to the supercharger site, with the Augusta National halfway between them, for those planning for Masters Week. There will be 8 supercharger stalls, which will only be full during Masters Week, assuming enough Teslas can get through the traffic jam at the I-20/Washington Road exit. On the site, it appears that the supercharger is located closest to the Hilton Gardens Inn, which is officially 1065 Stevens Creek Road. I assume the Hilton Gardens has a dinning room like others where I have stayed. There is the Veracruz Mexican Restaurant adjacent to this group of hotels. There is a 24 hour Denny's across Washington Road, which has many more lanes and a smidge more traffic than it did when George Washington went by.

I do not think the supercharger could be opened before mid-June at the _very_ earliest. July is more likely. As one who waited months on the apparently complete Indio supercharger to be opened, perhaps we should be using SpaceX "No Earlier Than" dates.

scoots

shonline,

This SC is going to be a biggie for us as well. We have a 2013 white/tan 85. We can barely make it from Santee to Augusta and back without charging if we go cross-country through Neeses or Norway. We first tried charging at the Heritage RV Park. The staff is helpful, but there is nothing in the area except an artesian well that my grandfather took me to 65 years ago to collect water for his chemistry class to analyze. The numerous Augusta J1772s are so variable and unreliable that you need to line up 2 or 3 just to make sure one works. It's hard to plan what you are going to do if you don't even know where you are going to be. And then there is the matter of the unknown speed of charging.

So the CHAdeMOs represent a big step forward. At least you can count on GA Power to have a working charger. (Although I was using the supercharger in Moab, Utah, in April when the entire town lost power for 2.5 hours. The saving grace was that the service stations couldn't pump gas either. And there is an ice cream shop just across the street from the supercharger.) The Medical College (or whatever they have chosen to call it this week) may be a good alternative once the construction stops. I have used it with Chargepoint, but the Student Center was closed so there was no food and no restroom.

But I simply cannot get over the fact that the tired old Partridge Inn has been renovated into a modern luxury resort hotel, just like it was 100 years ago when my grandparents moved to Augusta. Before the railroads discovered Florida, snowbirds would winter in Augusta and Aiken at a series of huge resort hotels like the Bon Air (across Walton Way from the Partridge Inn), doing golf in Augusta and horsey things in Aiken. The Augusta National and all the horse farms around Aiken are the legacy of this period. There were the Lenwood and Forest Hills Hotels in Augusta as well. The latter two became VA hospitals when the tourists moved on to Florida. The Lenwood building still exists, but the Forest Hills was torn down. It's golf course still exists, however. I can't name the hotels in Aiken, but I think one is still open. The summer end of this snowbird cycle was Bar Harbor ME. At first people traveled between the two along the coast by packet boats, but then the railroads came and eventually opened up even warmer places further south.

Having grown up till the age of ten in the neighborhood, I have sentimental attachments to Summerville, or "The Hill" as locals actually call it. One of my earliest memories is my great aunt walking me up to the soda fountain at the Partridge Inn, which was already in decline when I first knew it in the late 40's/early 50's. So to see it come alive today in a way that I have never known it is exciting, especially with 2 Destination HPWCs and a Clipper Creek J1772.

It is about 5 miles from the Partridge Inn to the supercharger site, with the Augusta National halfway between them, for those planning for Masters Week. There will be 8 supercharger stalls, which will only be full during Masters Week, assuming enough Teslas can get through the traffic jam at the I-20/Washington Road exit. On the site, it appears that the supercharger is located closest to the Hilton Gardens Inn, which is officially 1065 Stevens Creek Road. I assume the Hilton Gardens has a dinning room like others where I have stayed. There is the Veracruz Mexican Restaurant adjacent to this group of hotels. There is a 24 hour Denny's across Washington Road, which has many more lanes and a smidge more traffic than it did when George Washington went by.

I do not think the supercharger could be opened before mid-June at the _very_ earliest. July is more likely. As one who waited months on the apparently complete Indio supercharger to be opened, perhaps we should be using SpaceX "No Earlier Than" dates.

scoots

Scoots,

Thanks so much for this. I really appreciate yo taking the time to share this history. The history alone is amazing, but now I want to patronize the hotel next time through Augusta. I hope one of the benefits of the destination charger program is opportunities lie this to take us back to our Route 66 days! Like Santee, so many great old restaurants and hotels to explore again.

shonline,

Thanks. By the way, my all-time favorite destination charger location is on the original Route 66 (just off I-40) in Winslow AZ at La Posada, a former Santa Fe Railway Hotel originally operated by Fred Harvey. It is the masterwork of the greatest Southwestern architect, Mary Jane Elizabeth Colter. It is being lovingly rehabilitated by Allan Affeldt and his wife Tina Mion, the distinguished portrait artist whose work and zany sense of humor adorn the hotel. Kimbal Musk brought the Musk family roadtrip there to dine at the Turquoise Room, run by John Sharpe, one of Kimbal's favorite chefs. The entire place is magical. It appeals to every interest, every sense, every age. It is simply living done right. Go there as soon as possible. Think of life as a game, in which he who spends the most time at La Posada wins.

scoots

Drove by this morning at about 10:30. A crew-member asked that I not take pictures, so here are my observations. All Tesla electrics and converters are installed/wired and a crew of six is working on the physical area (yes, Saturday). Dirt is still piled high near the West end of the installation and equipment is still there to smooth the terrain. The fellow I spoke with confirmed that the transformer is in place, and they are working hard to finish up "soon"! An asphalt truck arrived while I was on property, and a few minutes later a cement truck also arrived. It appears clear that the physical installation will be completed within a short period of time. The enclosure is yet to be built around the converter area, but all support posts are in place. Power-up date is never predictable, but Georgia Power is a proponent of electric vehicles, so I would be surprised if they introduce any delay in completion of this SC.

• Informative
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt