Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin built MY LR (330 mile range) -LFP or NCA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't need to charge LFP batteries to 100%, but you can, without the same deleterious effect that has on other LiOn batteries. As to why Tesla recommends that you regularly charge LFP batteries to 100%, see here. TL;DR: it helps with keeping the Battery Management System calibrated.

Reactions: yser
both LFP and NCA are variants of "Lithium Ion batteries"
Ah true, both are forms of lithium ion battery. Of note, LFP chemistry is not put in 2170 cells or 4680 currently. Currently Tesla LFP are prismstic blades/pouches which is what many of the electric cars are using today. My 2012 Volt had them. Recently Sand Munro said he prefers cylindrical cells for engineering thermal reasons. Wonder if we see LFP in cylindrical form factor eventually.

Reactions: ZenRockGarden
Ah true, both are forms of lithium ion battery. Of note, LFP chemistry is not put in 2170 cells or 4680 currently. Currently Tesla LFP are prismstic blades/pouches which is what many of the electric cars are using today. My 2012 Volt had them. Recently Sand Munro said he prefers cylindrical cells for engineering thermal reasons. Wonder if we see LFP in cylindrical form factor eventually.
Got it. Thought 4680 cells have LFP chemistry since they have less range for the same mass? (Austin 4680 cars vs. Austin 2170 cars)?

NCA.
The Austin built MYLR uses the same 2170 cells as the Fremont car.
The Austin build MY AWD is also NCA but uses 4680 cells.
There is no MY in N. America using LFP. Only M3 SR RWD.
Overseas there is MYSR using LFP ( I think?).
OK, newbie question here and a bit off-topic. I picked up my 2023 MYLR AWD (built in Austin in December 2022) on 12/26. I've been down the Google rabbit hole for the last 24 hours and cannot figure out a way to determine whether the battery is a 4680 or 2170. Based on your post, I'm assuming it's a 4680. Are there any differences in the interior of the car if you have a 4680 battery or a 2170 battery? I'm looking at buy floor/cargo mats and the company said their current mats will fit the 2022 model with a 2170 battery.

OK, newbie question here and a bit off-topic. I picked up my 2023 MYLR AWD (built in Austin in December 2022) on 12/26. I've been down the Google rabbit hole for the last 24 hours and cannot figure out a way to determine whether the battery is a 4680 or 2170. Based on your post, I'm assuming it's a 4680. Are there any differences in the interior of the car if you have a 4680 battery or a 2170 battery? I'm looking at buy floor/cargo mats and the company said their current mats will fit the 2022 model with a 2170 battery.
When charged to 100% what is the estimated range showing? Is is ~279 miles or ~330 miles? My understanding is that currently the 4680 cells are only being used in the Austin built Standard Range Model Y, i.e. 279 mile range. For now the Long Range Model Y continues to use the 2170 cells for an estimated EPA combined City/Highway range of 330 miles. Also, where available, the Standard Range Model Y costs $3,000 less than the Long Range Model Y. This is before any Tesla end of quarter/year price incentives.

Last edited: