Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Australia] Model Y - April/May Orders (May-Jun Delivery) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered MY-RWD-White with black interior 08/04 (Brisbane) and is still showing Est. Delivery Apr-Jun 2023. I need delivery by 30 June for this to be viable for tax purposes so this is going down to the wire. My confidence in the estimate has dropped significantly now that we are in May and it is still telling me that it could arrive in April (unless I missed an announcement about a time-travel pack?).

If I can't take delivery before the 30 June I'll have to let it go. If anyone knows of a way to get one sooner I'm all ears - happy to pay a small premium to guarantee delivery in time. I've looked at some of the guys on Facebook market place trying to sell their orders but they seem pretty shady. I'd happily pay a thousand bucks to swap orders if anyone is interested, mine should still arrive May-June, I just don't want to take the risk that it doesn't. I'll check with Tesla if they'd sanction that - they understandably frown on people trying to sell speculative orders for a quick buck, but a legit swap shouldn't have any negative side effects on the supply chain.

Hi,

As much as I would like to tell you that you will receive your order by the 30th of June, it is maybe not likely.
These are my reasons:
I ordered on the 13th of November 2022 an MY RWD white exterior with black interior, with 19" wheels in Melb. Still have no update, except for the VIN glitch that happened this morning. My EDD was in Feb - May period, it's now May 2nd and still shows May - Feb :(. This is the same situation for most people with EDD in the May - Feb period.

But it is not all bad news. I know that Brisbane has around 3 ships waiting to unload their Teslas, which will speed up the delivery process for orders in Brisbane, but due to port delays all over Australia, it may be delayed further.

About speeding up the delivery process, if you have some cash to burn, you could try ordering a performance model, which has a reputation for being delivered quicker than the other model y types. This is because there is less demand for the performance version, and if you ordered right now it has a delivery window of May to June, but remember this is not guaranteed, Throughout tesla's history it has never met its estimated targets.

There is one more option you could try, But you must be quick. As of right this second there are 3 available MY excluding taxes in Tesla's inventory, which you can access through . This is a car in Tesla's possession which is a new car that can be delivered to you quickly.

You also mentioned swapping orders, which is possible if the person you are swapping with has not entered their details (licence, delivery location etc..) yet, into the website. But you might want to call Tesla and check, so you don't lose money. Another point is you do not have to swap, you can also buy someone's spot (as in just pay for their delivery fee and maybe a little more to convince them to sell their spot). With these two orders, see which one gets updated sooner and then cancel the order that did not get updated first.

My opinion would be to stay with your order and see if you could possibly switch/buy an order. If you have extra cash to spend, buy a car in Tesla's inventory.

Best of luck!

. This is a car in Tesla's possession which is a new car that can be delivered to you quickly.
Not always as quickly as you'd think. Inventory just means the car has been built, it could still be in Shanghai, or anywhere between Shanghai and the delivery centre.

you can also buy someone's spot (as in just pay for their delivery fee and maybe a little more to convince them to sell their spot).
That's not possible in Australia

Hi,

As much as I would like to tell you that you will receive your order by the 30th of June, it is maybe not likely.
These are my reasons:
I ordered on the 13th of November 2022 an MY RWD white exterior with black interior, with 19" wheels in Melb. Still have no update, except for the VIN glitch that happened this morning. My EDD was in Feb - May period, it's now May 2nd and still shows May - Feb :(. This is the same situation for most people with EDD in the May - Feb period.

But it is not all bad news. I know that Brisbane has around 3 ships waiting to unload their Teslas, which will speed up the delivery process for orders in Brisbane, but due to port delays all over Australia, it may be delayed further.

About speeding up the delivery process, if you have some cash to burn, you could try ordering a performance model, which has a reputation for being delivered quicker than the other model y types. This is because there is less demand for the performance version, and if you ordered right now it has a delivery window of May to June, but remember this is not guaranteed, Throughout tesla's history it has never met its estimated targets.

There is one more option you could try, But you must be quick. As of right this second there are 3 available MY excluding taxes in Tesla's inventory, which you can access through . This is a car in Tesla's possession which is a new car that can be delivered to you quickly.

You also mentioned swapping orders, which is possible if the person you are swapping with has not entered their details (licence, delivery location etc..) yet, into the website. But you might want to call Tesla and check, so you don't lose money. Another point is you do not have to swap, you can also buy someone's spot (as in just pay for their delivery fee and maybe a little more to convince them to sell their spot). With these two orders, see which one gets updated sooner and then cancel the order that did not get updated first.

My opinion would be to stay with your order and see if you could possibly switch/buy an order. If you have extra cash to spend, buy a car in Tesla's inventory.

Best of luck!
Thanks Bean2006 - great info to know in what is otherwise an entirely mysterious and opaque process. The performance model isn't an option for me unfortunately, I'm stretching as it is but have lined things up in such a way that the tax benefits I can get with a pre June 30 delivery will make it achievable. A post June 30 delivery will pull it out of reach. The guy I spoke to at Tesla about 3 weeks ago was pretty confident that it would be here in time and said that they were going to be delivering a lot of orders prior to June 30. Whether he had some insider info or was just being a typical sales guy I can't know.

I'd actually found a base MY in Perth in inventory (ex demonstrator, so actually on the ground) and was going to put it straight on a truck. The Tesla Advisor told me that it could only be registered in Perth however. Not sure why that is, but I'm guessing they get some kind of discount demonstrator rego on the condition that it then gets sold in the state?!?

Technically Zombie is right - Tesla do not allow the transfer of an order and actively discourage the practice. Having said that, there are plenty out there claiming that it can be done by taking over someone else's account and then putting your details in instead of theirs. I've resisted this so far as it feels like too much could go wrong. I've already had to change a couple of paperwork details in my own order and had to get Tesla to do it on their end - the orders for sale I've seen so far are all in other states, which could throw another curveball in to making that plan work if I needed Tesla to change details for me.

Tesla will happily facilitate an order transfer that they approve (for example to a family member), which is why I thought a legit swap would be a much lower risk if I could get their blessing ahead of time. My Tesla Advisor has told me that they might be ok with it and is putting the question to the team in charge of car movements - I'll report back as soon as I hear from him. The issue with this plan is that even if I was to find someone willing to swap (which wouldn't be a bad way of making a grand or two if the 30th June isn't life or death for you), I'd only be increasing my chances of hitting the date, not guaranteeing it.

I'm also toying with the option of just burning my order and buying a second hand MY, but there are many sharks out there circling desperate fools like myself. I can claim the GST back so was looking at dealerships, but they are asking circa $80-85k for second hand base model Y's. Piss-takers! I responded to a facebook marketplace ad this morning for one at $75k and got the reply that they didn't actually have it yet, but when they got it I could have it for $80k (it had photos in the driveway and everything). I'm going to keep looking for a private sale model Y but it will need to be from someone who can give me a GST invoice.

I know if feels like a rollercoaster for the rest of you, but at least you can sit back and relax until your Tesla (eventually) rolls in. This is consuming me - I keep waking up in the night with new angles on how to get it before June 30 and was scrolling facebook marketplace by the dim light of my phone at 3am this morning where I found the aforementioned car that turned out to not actually exist. It's ridiculous, it's just a bloody car! I think the problem is that I've got this shrinking window of time in which to make it work and am becoming more desperate by the day. I think the waiting room groups on this forum are mostly therapy for anxious people to feel as though they're not alone! I can just imagine those smug bastards in the all the other threads sharing tips and telling each other how much they love their cars :)

Thanks Bean2006 - great info to know in what is otherwise an entirely mysterious and opaque process. The performance model isn't an option for me unfortunately, I'm stretching as it is but have lined things up in such a way that the tax benefits I can get with a pre June 30 delivery will make it achievable. A post June 30 delivery will pull it out of reach. The guy I spoke to at Tesla about 3 weeks ago was pretty confident that it would be here in time and said that they were going to be delivering a lot of orders prior to June 30. Whether he had some insider info or was just being a typical sales guy I can't know.

I'd actually found a base MY in Perth in inventory (ex demonstrator, so actually on the ground) and was going to put it straight on a truck. The Tesla Advisor told me that it could only be registered in Perth however. Not sure why that is, but I'm guessing they get some kind of discount demonstrator rego on the condition that it then gets sold in the state?!?

Technically Zombie is right - Tesla do not allow the transfer of an order and actively discourage the practice. Having said that, there are plenty out there claiming that it can be done by taking over someone else's account and then putting your details in instead of theirs. I've resisted this so far as it feels like too much could go wrong. I've already had to change a couple of paperwork details in my own order and had to get Tesla to do it on their end - the orders for sale I've seen so far are all in other states, which could throw another curveball in to making that plan work if I needed Tesla to change details for me.

Tesla will happily facilitate an order transfer that they approve (for example to a family member), which is why I thought a legit swap would be a much lower risk if I could get their blessing ahead of time. My Tesla Advisor has told me that they might be ok with it and is putting the question to the team in charge of car movements - I'll report back as soon as I hear from him. The issue with this plan is that even if I was to find someone willing to swap (which wouldn't be a bad way of making a grand or two if the 30th June isn't life or death for you), I'd only be increasing my chances of hitting the date, not guaranteeing it.

I'm also toying with the option of just burning my order and buying a second hand MY, but there are many sharks out there circling desperate fools like myself. I can claim the GST back so was looking at dealerships, but they are asking circa $80-85k for second hand base model Y's. Piss-takers! I responded to a facebook marketplace ad this morning for one at $75k and got the reply that they didn't actually have it yet, but when they got it I could have it for $80k (it had photos in the driveway and everything). I'm going to keep looking for a private sale model Y but it will need to be from someone who can give me a GST invoice.

I know if feels like a rollercoaster for the rest of you, but at least you can sit back and relax until your Tesla (eventually) rolls in. This is consuming me - I keep waking up in the night with new angles on how to get it before June 30 and was scrolling facebook marketplace by the dim light of my phone at 3am this morning where I found the aforementioned car that turned out to not actually exist. It's ridiculous, it's just a bloody car! I think the problem is that I've got this shrinking window of time in which to make it work and am becoming more desperate by the day. I think the waiting room groups on this forum are mostly therapy for anxious people to feel as though they're not alone! I can just imagine those smug bastards in the all the other threads sharing tips and telling each other how much they love their cars :)
Sorry if you have answered this before but what state are you in and what order do you currently have?

Still showing as $69,300 on the website?
I should be more attentive before posting! I was so focused on the 300 that I missed the fact that the 68 had changed to a 69. Up until last night the price of the base was $68,900 (and is what is on my order agreement from 08/04). They've pumped it up by another $400, which I believe we will have to pay as we are exposed to any price fluctuations until we've actually paid (does anyone know if that is correct?).

D22AF272-CDE0-46BA-AA99-38CC61795C26.jpeg

Not showing EDD this morning on Tesla app and find the TBD (prepared for delivery), VIN and registration in QLD on my Tesla account :)

But haven’t seen any text messages from Tesla yet!

Order date 06 April 2023
Tesla MY LR