Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 highland accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've noticed with the soft close though, is there an emergency release cable? How do you get in the frunk should the soft closing motor fails?
I know one person who already was in this situation. Its me. Few things to know:
- soft closing motor not holding the frunk, just pulling it down so it will be picked up by the original car lock and then releasing it after.
- I did not realised it and thought it is actually holding the funk and managed to get inside the frunk space from the right front wheel and cut the power cable powering the soft closing motor. After that I found it was not holding the frunk 😇. So basically I can't imagine situation it will lock the frunk.

Reactions: dronus and sammody
I know one person who already was in this situation. Its me. Few things to know:
- soft closing motor not holding the frunk, just pulling it down so it will be picked up by the original car lock and then releasing it after.
- I did not realised it and thought it is actually holding the funk and managed to get inside the frunk space from the right front wheel and cut the power cable powering the soft closing motor. After that I found it was not holding the frunk 😇. So basically I can't imagine situation it will lock the frunk.
Correct, it just pulls it down and the normal latch holds it

Reactions: sammody
Finally got around to installing my "performance" pedals. Cut my thumb bled a bit in the process haha but got it done after about 15-20mins. Using the hair dryer, the brake pedal took 2 min, but the acclerator was a b!ch to get it to sit right . Worth it tho they look great!

Attachments

• 20240224_130734.jpg
    20240224_130734.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240224_130957.jpg
    20240224_130957.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 15
Finally got around to installing my "performance" pedals. Cut my thumb bled a bit in the process haha but got it done after about 15-20mins. Using the hair dryer, the brake pedal took 2 min, but the acclerator was a b!ch to get it to sit right . Worth it tho they look great!
I tried it and after 5 mins just somehow squeezed the original one back and put these in the glovebox and forgot about it until I saw this message. Think I should take my hot air station next time to avoid hurting my fingers :)

Reactions: Mes1 and dronus
wow that looks great! wait is that a UMC? where did you get that holder for it? mine just hangs on the hanger

Yeah probably why he quote $1000 since he has to run 20m of cable up and across the house (double storey)

but wonder if I could get away with a single phase 32A 3 pin socket? Even if my house is a 3 phase, can I just get him to install a single phase? or that wouldnt work?
It won't make a lot of difference as 32A 3 core cabling which gives you 7kw is equally costlier or more and harder to route than 16a 5 core cable which gives you 11kw with the added benefit that it will keep the grid balance. And you can get OEM 11kw/22kw 3-phase chargers at around ~$300-$400. So all together it makes more sense to go with 3-phase if your house is 3-phase.

But then if you are 100% mind set that you are only going to use 7kw single phase for all your life then there is no point in getting 32A 5-wire three phase cabling routed from 20m away.

Things to consider:
1. CCS2 charging is open protocol and you are not getting any magic sauce by sticking to tesla chargers except the auto charging port opening by pressing button on the charging plug.
2. These AC chargers are just glorified switches with some signaling. Unlike a mobile or laptop charger, there is no power conversion happening in these AC single phase or three phase chargers. Whatever is coming from the grid is passed over to the car with a simple signal which tells the car how much maximum to draw. That's all.
3. Most of these third party chargers are manufactured by some well reputed OEMs like Mida and are dissected and studied many times and are found to be of excellent quality.

Yes, you will miss the tesla magic charge door open button. But other then that if you just want reliable charging at affordable price you have lot of options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mes1
Last night I bought the 5-pin 32A adaptor from evchargers 👍

I've got Red scheduled in to replace my meter to a 'smart' one and after that I'll be getting the sparky in to install a 5-pin 32A outlet for me.

Charged the car last night for the first time, with the mobile connector, from 50% to 80% and it took ~12hrs lol

It won't make a lot of difference as 32A 3 core cabling which gives you 7kw is equally costlier or more and harder to route than 16a 5 core cable which gives you 11kw with the added benefit that it will keep the grid balance. And you can get OEM 11kw/22kw 3-phase chargers at around ~$300-$400. So all together it makes more sense to go with 3-phase if your house is 3-phase.

But then if you are 100% mind set that you are only going to use 7kw single phase for all your life then there is no point in getting 32A 5-wire three phase cabling routed from 20m away.

Things to consider:
1. CCS2 charging is open protocol and you are not getting any magic sauce by sticking to tesla chargers except the auto charging port opening by pressing button on the charging plug.
2. These AC chargers are just glorified switches with some signaling. Unlike a mobile or laptop charger, there is no power conversion happening in these AC single phase or three phase chargers. Whatever is coming from the grid is passed over to the car with a simple signal which tells the car how much maximum to draw. That's all.
3. Most of these third party chargers are manufactured by some well reputed OEMs like Mida and are dissected and studied many times and are found to be of excellent quality.

Yes, you will miss the tesla magic charge door open button. But other then that if you just want reliable charging at affordable price you have lot of options.
The tesla wall charger also has a nice integration with the tesla app, if that is of interest to anyone