Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a little excited to post this earlier on, but understandably everything is a bit of a bummer around here at the moment.

However, I saw my first new Model 3 today other than mine, sat next to me at traffic lights. Was a white one, with a very Teslary number plate. Driver didn't notice me at all, which was a tad annoying. First one I have seen on the road.
If i was driving your car and another highland driver didnt give me the thumbs up id would immediately ask google to explain to me how to conduct a high speed pit manouver

If i was driving your car and another highland driver didnt give me the thumbs up id would immediately ask google to explain to me how to conduct a high speed pit manouver
I'm not sure what the protocol is, I thought about a quick horn beep, but thankfully remembered I still have La cucaracha as my horn sound, so obviously didn't.

I thought he might like my wheels, he still had the aero covers on his. But no, we missed our chance to be connected for a moment. Judging by his number plate this isn't his first Tesla, so maybe it is is a different, more business as usual, experience for him I guess.

I look forward to seeing my next one with a nerdy geek driving it instead.

I'm not sure what the protocol is, I thought about a quick horn beep, but thankfully remembered I still have La cucaracha as my horn sound, so obviously didn't.

I thought he might like my wheels, he still had the aero covers on his. But no, we missed our chance to be connected for a moment. Judging by his number plate this isn't his first Tesla, so maybe it is is a different, more business as usual, experience for him I guess.

I look forward to seeing my next one with a nerdy geek driving it instead.
Im guessing superchargers would be a good place to start.
Youd get similar attention levels than taking a puppy dog to an acai bar.

I'm sure they could void insurance if you make illegal modifications that leave your can non ADR compliant.
There's obviously a big difference between you, as a party to the contract, not fulfilling your obligations under that contract (eg. by making illegal modifications to the car) and the actions of a third party.

No doubt there's some clause under which they can cancel the insurance for any reason as well, but that'd require a notification and refund of unused premium, and if they don't see any reason why the change would have made your policy suddenly unprofitable, they're not going to do this. I mean, did you hear of anyone having their insurance cancelled when half of the cars out there had the Takata airbags that were killing people with shrapnel?

Likely you have an obligation to get recalls carried out in a timely manner though.

Car is great. Had for a week now, but man the wipers suck. They either don’t react until I can’t see or they go full speed panic mode when it’s sprinkling. I’ve been manually setting them… No change when updating the software either. Everyone have a similar experience?

Reactions: Murphster
Car is great. Had for a week now, but man the wipers suck. They either don’t react until I can’t see or they go full speed panic mode when it’s sprinkling. I’ve been manually setting them… No change when updating the software either. Everyone have a similar experience?

Yes, they suck. I have found a fix though, and works most of the time.

I just plant my foot down whenever I get the chance, like a rocket, and the water instantly clears from the windscreen. Doesn't matter where I am, or who is in front of me, I accelerate to 80kph as quickly as I can most times. To be fair I also do this when it is dry, so not just a rain thing.

Yes, they suck. I have found a fix though, and works most of the time.

I just plant my foot down whenever I get the chance, like a rocket, and the water instantly clears from the windscreen. Doesn't matter where I am, or who is in front of me, I accelerate to 80kph as quickly as I can most times. To be fair I also do this when it is dry, so not just a rain thing.
I was going to install a switch which reverses the fans that draw air into the cab from under the windscreen so it blows all the water off.
Added bonus fart and pube extractor.
Might suggest it to S3XY buttons

Reactions: X Æ A-12
I was going to install a switch which reverses the fans that draw air into the cab from under the windscreen so it blows all the water off.
Added bonus fart and pube extractor.
Might suggest it to S3XY buttons
Will have to get some of those grill things made up that go on the footwell air outlest but for the airvent across the dash so it collects all the pubes. Can just use magnets so its easy to remove and bang against a tree or cyclist to clean.

Okay anyone who has taken delivery I have a photo request. Everyone has seemed certain even early build highlands have received HW4 but I've really struggled to actually find solid confirmation. Is anyone who's taken delivery here able to get a happy snap of some of the camera lenses? I wanna see that red tint to confirm!

Okay anyone who has taken delivery I have a photo request. Everyone has seemed certain even early build highlands have received HW4 but I've really struggled to actually find solid confirmation. Is anyone who's taken delivery here able to get a happy snap of some of the camera lenses? I wanna see that red tint to confirm!
Just check one in the show rooms. They definitely have the tint

Reactions: dronus
In pre highland rental, not seen full speed panic mode yet but normally needy to tap the button to initiate the wipers.

You know I have been really panicky and worried this arvo that the posts here were the reason this has all blown up.

But I have just found a thread on the Facebook group Tesla Owners Australia that was started on the 24th Dec by someone who posted that their car didn’t have the child seat tether.

A couple of users commented that they have made complaints, one to a friend of hers in the Aussie car standards department.

So don’t worry too much, it wasn’t your question or my responses that has publicised this.

As much as we might be upset about delays, the sooner this was reported and resolved, the better for everyone. Even if you have no kids, resale options for a five seater are better for a five seater than a four. Looks like a dumb oversight but sh#t happens and who hasn’t done something dumb. Just hoping delay is minimal.
Hoping the poster on FT is not getting hate as they’re doing us a favour reporting soon as.

Reactions: Hairyman
I had a guy at work start a movement to pre-emptivley ban me from parking my car at work carpark as he heard that when EVs catch fire the fire department cant put them out, unlike a normal petrol car.
I dont even know where to start with that.
A guy at my work bought an Atto3. He got in early. The first week he had space each side. Haha no chance of dings there but a coupe weeks later, no one bothered avoiding anymore.

Last edited: