Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just in case this gets buried... can someone who has the highland confirm this for me pleaseeeeeee?? :D

Here's the user manual's section for Child Safety Seats. It mentions this, but not clear what to tether it to?

1704260570158.png

Reactions: ctir
Just in case this gets buried... can someone who has the highland confirm this for me pleaseeeeeee?? :D

No, there isn’t one.

That seems weird, because my limited understanding of this is that Australia rules dictate there should be one.

At least that is what I learned from the cars that come to Australia without a rear central armrest, the excuse always seems to be this Aussie rule that differed to Europe.

Be interesting to see if this is different in the second batch that arrives

IMG_3130.jpeg

IMG_3133.jpeg

What are the chances this causes an issue in Australia? The more I read up on it the more I am very eager to see what the new deliveries look like. Is there a chance that the early deliveries were not quite Aussie specs?

This isn’t something that the Gov are likely to just let slip when they are so hard enforcing this with other manufacturers.

*** Maybe one could argue that there are only two rear seats in this car. The middle “seat” isn’t really a seat, is so skinny. So nobody is ever putting three child seats in this car. If you want to put a child seat in the middle you could just tether it to the two other tether points. Which kinda makes sense.

Not sure that makes it any more legal though.

Last edited:
Reactions: X Æ A-12
What are the chances this causes an issue in Australia? The more I read up on it the more I am very eager to see what the new deliveries look like. Is there a chance that the early deliveries were not quite Aussie specs?

This isn’t something that the Gov are likely to just let slip when they are so hard enforcing this with other manufacturers.

*** Maybe one could argue that there are only two rear seats in this car. The middle “seat” isn’t really a seat, is so skinny. So nobody is ever putting three child seats in this car. If you want to put a child seat in the middle you could just tether it to the two other tether points. Which kinda makes sense.

Not sure that makes it any more legal though.
Appreciate you taking the time to check. Would there be an anchor behind the rear of the middle seat?

As you’ve mentioned, I believe it's a legal requirement in Australia under the ADR, for 3 anchor points. That's why the first Atto 3s were held up. They had the hole, but no 3rd anchor point in the centre. If there isn’t one here, it would mean the car is non compliant with ADR.

Appreciate you taking the time to check. Would there be an anchor behind the rear of the middle seat?

As you’ve mentioned, I believe it's a legal requirement in Australia under the ADR, for 3 anchor points. That's why the first Atto 3s were held up. They had the hole, but no 3rd anchor point in the centre. If there isn’t one here, it would mean the car is non compliant with ADR.

No, the back of the seats are flat, no anchors on any of them. Nothing on the boot floor either.

It is interesting to say the least.

Okay, if you saw my last reply then ignore it, I deleted it anyway. Something wasn’t right with my interpretation of my photos.

This is the view underneath the parcel shelf…

IMG_3146.jpeg

You can only see two here, but there is definitely three anchor points welded underneath the shelf. Tesla’s problem here seems to be the total opposite to BYDs, rather oddly, in that they do have the anchor point but on my car at least they have forgotten to add the hole!

What I take from this is that I would expect new cars coming from the factory to have three holes. Not sure how many have come without it though, and whether some cars on Don Juan have had the same issue? Would that explain the weirdness around VINS?!?

Isn’t the rule one tether point per set of isofix attachments? So if the car only has isofix for two child seats, then it only needs two tether points. I thought the Atto problem was isofix without tether points.

I definitely think there must be a way to legally fix a child seat to the middle seat. This is actually the recommended position when you only have one child seat.

If you have no tether point it isn’t legal is my understating, regardless of ISOFIX.

The good news is that they have the tether points there welded on. So u imagine this is an easy fix that can be done by the service centre. Just cut a new hole and add the surround piece.

I am now going to expect a recall when they have figured out how to do it.

Have to assume new ones are fine.

Well this was interesting.

The good news is that they have the tether points there welded on. So u imagine this is an easy fix that can be done by the service centre. Just cut a new hole and add the surround piece.

I am now going to expect a recall when they have figured out how to do it.

Have to assume new ones are fine.

Well this was interesting.
I've managed to get around this issue by avoiding having children at all costs