Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone, apologises if this is not the right group ... hoping you can help me ... I took delivery of my new Tesla M3 Highland on 08/03 and its great ... love it but ever since last Sunday the really hot day where I took it for a long drive, I hear a low humming sound whether the car is parked or not ... before that heard nothing silence as it should be ... I also noticed (first time it did this) that when I reserved the car today made a screeching noise ... has anyone else experienced these noises ... what can they be? would appreciate the advise thanks in advance.

Reactions: David Sowden
Hi Everyone, apologises if this is not the right group ... hoping you can help me ... I took delivery of my new Tesla M3 Highland on 08/03 and its great ... love it but ever since last Sunday the really hot day where I took it for a long drive, I hear a low humming sound whether the car is parked or not ... before that heard nothing silence as it should be ... I also noticed (first time it did this) that when I reserved the car today made a screeching noise ... has anyone else experienced these noises ... what can they be? would appreciate the advise thanks in advance.
When it is hot the car will run fans to keep the battery etc cool. Also, in your app have a look in climate and see if cabin overheat protection is on. This prevents your cabin getting too hot, you can set it at different temps or turn it off.
You cant turn the battery protection off tho.

The car makes a ufo screachy sound when you reverse to warn pedestrians. Maybe thats what you heard?

If you are concerned it is something mechanical, book a service in the service section of the app

Reactions: paulp
Interesting i went out to the car to contemplate washing it, thought id check to see if that software update had downloaded yet. Good excuse to go sit in the car anyway.
Clicking on software it said “checking for updates” then said this:
IMG_9704.jpeg

Weird because as i write this it is 0955 on the 17th march.
Car is parked next to my wifi router in the shed with full signal strength.

Im guessing trying to find a reason the date doesnt update is futile, a tesla-ism?

Reactions: ConnorMcleod
Is that when .8 was released maybe?

Just guessing, but maybe it's saying that it knows there's a new version but you haven't been deemed worthy yet?

Try it in an hour or two and see what it says. I'll go and try mine also and see if it gives me the same result.

Reactions: dronus
Interesting i went out to the car to contemplate washing it, thought id check to see if that software update had downloaded yet. Good excuse to go sit in the car anyway.
Clicking on software it said “checking for updates” then said this:
View attachment 1028757
Weird because as i write this it is 0955 on the 17th march.
Car is parked next to my wifi router in the shed with full signal strength.

Im guessing trying to find a reason the date doesnt update is futile, a tesla-ism?
Hmm, no, mine gave current time and date. I mean I knew you guys in SA were a bit behind, but... lol

When it is hot the car will run fans to keep the battery etc cool. Also, in your app have a look in climate and see if cabin overheat protection is on. This prevents your cabin getting too hot, you can set it at different temps or turn it off.
You cant turn the battery protection off tho.

The car makes a ufo screachy sound when you reverse to warn pedestrians. Maybe thats what you heard?

If you are concerned it is something mechanical, book a service in the service section of the app
thanks for your advise ... I have booked a service for 3/04 ... I know it the fan is cooling the battery but this noise has not stopped since last Sunday when it was a really hot day ... I reserved the car out of a garage so there were no pedestrians around ... could it be that a stone is caught in the brake as I did go over some gravel a week ago? ... the car is not telling me there is something wrong so that is a good sign ... I will take to Tesla for a quick look ... maybe I pressed something, turned something on ... it wasn't happening for the first couple of days I took delivery of the car ...

Reactions: dronus
thanks for your advise ... I have booked a service for 3/04 ... I know it the fan is cooling the battery but this noise has not stopped since last Sunday when it was a really hot day ... I reserved the car out of a garage so there were no pedestrians around ... could it be that a stone is caught in the brake as I did go over some gravel a week ago? ... the car is not telling me there is something wrong so that is a good sign ... I will take to Tesla for a quick look ... maybe I pressed something, turned something on ... it wasn't happening for the first couple of days I took delivery of the car ...
It could be a stone, pretty hard to tell really :) maybe it will sort itself out in the meantime

Forgive the dumbness, is duitable amount inc the stamp duty itself in the original invoice? I ended up at $78,500 all in inc GST, stamp duties, deliveries etc.
Using this online calculator, I entered the purchase price of $77.000 (Incl. GST) which is the value of the car (with the paint/motor/wheel options) excluding the cost of Rego/Green Slip/Stamp Duty etc

It calculated the Duty Payable as $2950 which is exactly how it appears on my Rego papers.

Based on this, I have to assume the dutiable amount is the value of the Car+GST only.

Reactions: AusMar
Using this online calculator, I entered the purchase price of $77.000 (Incl. GST) which is the value of the car (with the paint/motor/wheel options) excluding the cost of Rego/Green Slip/Stamp Duty etc

It calculated the Duty Payable as $2950 which is exactly how it appears on my Rego papers.

Based on this, I have to assume the dutiable amount is the value of the Car+GST only.
+ pubes

• Funny
Reactions: AusMar and edy80y
So must have been a little bored on the way home today, decided to do some testing on the voice recognition.

I'm still getting "Go Home" consistently not navigating home any more, but playing the song "Closing Time" (interesting it's choosing a song with go home in the lyrics, not in the title)

Of course Navigate Home works every time, Take me home also works fine, just "Home" also works, though "Home, Elon" gets recognised as "Home Alone" (must not have Elon in it's database of words, lol) That gave me 'command not recognised' the first time, but actually navigated me home the second time I tried it.

On a more positive note, I still haven't had a single dry wipe must be close to four weeks now, we had very light intermittant rain on the way home and the wipers were operating perfectly. I was half expecting that after the dry wipes stopped the sensitivity may have turned down and they would be less likely to start, but was pleasantly surprised.