Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get it, its a safety feature and ill leave it on, but just wanted to confirm that "late" means "leave it as long as possible" or do i have this around the wrong way?
Late does mean "leave it as long as possible".

The slowing down isn't the forward collision warning though - if that triggers, it beeps pretty loudly (interrupting your music or whatever) and draws the offending vehicle in red in the visualisation.

Pretty sure the slowing down is just that it's calculated that if that vehicle were to stop, it'd have to start slowing now to not hit it without emergency braking.

Reactions: dronus
So I did some more driving on rough country roads this weekend and this second rattle became way more apparent. I've isolated the noise to coming from the rear view mirror assembly. It sounds like a metal clip or something, but it's a pretty horrible buzzing noise - worse than anything the steering wheel does. I've added this to the service notes along with this video where you can hear it pretty clearly.

ahhhh i had that exact same noise!

When I first got my car I had this noise, then after 1000kms it just disappeared, mentioned it on service booking but then by time booking came it was gone, and has never come back.

Suspect some debris or something was loose in there flappin about, after 4000kms hasn't come back so all good on that front

• Helpful
Reactions: divstar
I was just about to reply in the phantom braking thread, but then though it might be more appropriate to ask here.

With the setting "forward collision warning" in the manual it states:

By default, Forward Collision Warning is turned on. To turn off or adjust sensitivity, touch Controls > Autopilot > Forward Collision Warning. Instead of the default warning level of Medium, you can turn the warning Off, or you can choose to be warned Late or Early.

I have this setting on "late" and i still get the car slowing down when a car passes in front of me, with plenty of space that (unless they stop) there would never be a collision. It can interrupt the flow of traffic a bit, especially with Adelaide tailgaters, lane mergers and generally crackhead driving behaviour.

I get it, its a safety feature and ill leave it on, but just wanted to confirm that "late" means "leave it as long as possible" or do i have this around the wrong way?

Recent experiences with the M3H safety systems reassure me that they are a lot more clever than i am, and i have confidence they can react faster than i can but i just wanted to throw my thoughts out there :)
yeah late means delaying braking as long as possible, which is what I use.

Still though I'm super paranoid on auto pilot in some areas, like I fear with dodgy lanes on some highways (always roadworks in NSW) the Tesla might get confused and steer into a barrier at 100km/hr haha so can't exactly relax and benefit from autopilot as I feel I should

Still though I'm super paranoid on auto pilot in some areas, like I fear with dodgy lanes on some highways (always roadworks in NSW) the Tesla might get confused and steer into a barrier at 100km/hr haha so can't exactly relax and benefit from autopilot as I feel I should
I refuse it use it around roadworks as well. Already had some times where it wants to take an exit and jerks the car towards it before noping out of that decision - it doesn't fill me with confidence it would handle poor lane markings

Reactions: Mes1
So I did some more driving on rough country roads this weekend and this second rattle became way more apparent. I've isolated the noise to coming from the rear view mirror assembly. It sounds like a metal clip or something, but it's a pretty horrible buzzing noise - worse than anything the steering wheel does. I've added this to the service notes along with this video where you can hear it pretty clearly.

My service experience was overall quite good. The communcation via the app is brilliant, I had a phone call the day before to confirm everything. Upon arrival the tech went for a drive with me and I was able to show him the steering wheel noise to which he agreed was a simple fix. The other rattle unfortunately didn't replicate on the smooth city roads, but they said the provided video would help.
I was provided with an Uber voucher to continue my day which was generous considering the car was ready in about 2 hours from drop off.
Upon pickup they confirmed the steering wheel was fixed, which I can confirm is perfect now - not a single noise.

The other rattle they could not replicate they said they put some non friction tape in the mirror assembly.
I do not believe that has fixed it as I have heard it on some rougher roads already, but I will need to take it on the country highway to diagnose further.
I'm pretty sure if I went back to them and identified the exact spot that is rattling they would be able to fix it.. but they do not have all the time to diagnose intermittent noises. So based on that I give it an 8/10 experience.

i use it on M5 daily without any issues, but westconnex tunnel a big NO, car just keep reducing its speed from 90 to 60 for no reasons....

ahhhh i had that exact same noise!

When I first got my car I had this noise, then after 1000kms it just disappeared, mentioned it on service booking but then by time booking came it was gone, and has never come back.

Suspect some debris or something was loose in there flappin about, after 4000kms hasn't come back so all good on that front
OMG i just discovered the exact noise on sunday! Booked in next week at the service centre. Must be a highland thing! (2 weeks old)

• Helpful
Reactions: Mes1 and divstar
Hey guys, do you feel a mild continous vibration coming through the steering wheel ? I have booked an appointment next week and estimate came back as $0.00 since its covered by Tesla however wanted to check whether its something that needs to be looked at and fixed or just a common thing and not be bothered aboout. thanks

Hey guys, do you feel a mild continous vibration coming through the steering wheel ? I have booked an appointment next week and estimate came back as $0.00 since its covered by Tesla however wanted to check whether its something that needs to be looked at and fixed or just a common thing and not be bothered aboout. thanks
Is it while driving or while parked as well?

Mine is ok. Def worth checking out, you shouldn't be putting up with a vibration

Reactions: allblackm3
So i was having a chat with a guy while i was waiting for my coffee this morning, he was looking at my car and wanted to know if the number plate had come with the little blue EV triangle. I said it had and he was suprised.

His friend had just bought a Tesla recently and picked it up from our delivery centre at the Airport. Now, im not sure what he meant by his plates not having the Blue triangle, whether it meant the plates that came on the car, or if he had ordered other custom plates (come to think of it, more likely) but he got pulled over and fined for not having the blue triangle on the plates of his brand new car.

I cant see in the actual Section relevant to it being an offence to not have the Blue triangle, just lots of reminders that you should have them. Im assuming its an ADR thing and not a local offence.

Here are some other fun offences i found while looking for it

303(1) Ride animal alongside more than one other rider A595 $66 $99 $165
303(2) Animal rider ride alongside more than one other riderin marked laneA596 $66 $99 $165
303(4) Animal rider over 1.5 metres from another rider A597 $66 $99 $165

245 Fail to ride bicycle with at least one hand on thehandlebarsA462 $66 $99 $165
245 Fail to ride bicycle on the seat A463 $66 $99 $165

301(1) Driver of motor vehicle lead animal while driving A593 $121 $99 $220
301(3) Lead animal while riding bicycle A598 $66 $99 $165

Last edited:
So i was having a chat with a guy while i was waiting for my coffee this morning, he was looking at my car and wanted to know if the number plate had come with the little blue EV triangle. I said it had and he was suprised.

His friend had just bought a Tesla recently and picked it up from our delivery centre at the Airport. Now, im not sure what he meant by his plates not having the Blue triangle, whether it meant the plates that came on the car, or if he had ordered other custom plates (come to think of it, more likely) but he got pulled over and fined for not having the blue triangle on the plates of his brand new car.

I cant see in the actual Section relevant to it being an offence to not have the Blue triangle, just lots of reminders that you should have them. Im assuming its an ADR thing and not a local offence.

Here are some other fun offences i found while looking for it

303(1) Ride animal alongside more than one other rider A595 $66 $99 $165
303(2) Animal rider ride alongside more than one other riderin marked laneA596 $66 $99 $165
303(4) Animal rider over 1.5 metres from another rider A597 $66 $99 $165

245 Fail to ride bicycle with at least one hand on thehandlebarsA462 $66 $99 $165
245 Fail to ride bicycle on the seat A463 $66 $99 $165

301(1) Driver of motor vehicle lead animal while driving A593 $121 $99 $220
301(3) Lead animal while riding bicycle A598 $66 $99 $165
I am sorry, but wtf does all that mean. Your dog can't be more than 1.5m from another passenger. Animal rider can't be alongside another rider while you are driving in a marked lane, what does that even mean. And if I am trying to ride my bike up a steep hill and I need to stand up off my seat for more power in my legs I will get booked. What am I supposed to do, let the bike roll backwards.

• Funny
Reactions: dronus
I am sorry, but wtf does all that mean. Your dog can't be more than 1.5m from another passenger. Animal rider can't be alongside another rider while you are driving in a marked lane, what does that even mean. And if I am trying to ride my bike up a steep hill and I need to stand up off my seat for more power in my legs I will get booked. What am I supposed to do, let the bike roll backwards.
Yeah i am having an interesting dialogue with the council about people parking opposite my driveway on a narrow road still and they have quoted an Australian Road rule as their basis for not painting yellow lines opposite such driveways (i want a yellow line so i can get out of my driveway, so do my elderly neighbors) The Councils says as long as they are not parked over the driveway, its no issue.

They quoted ARR 198(2) which indeed does say "Stop on or across a driveway" which has an $192 expiation fee.

Bit weird, as i stop on my driveway every day... but anyway..

But In ARR just above this it does mention 198(1) which says "Obstruct access to and from a footpath/driveway etc" which has a $190 expiation so is $2 less important i guess.

Is parking opposite a driveway obstructing access to the driveway, especially on narrow streets? If it isn't, it's probably just inconsiderate, which isn't an offence unfortunately..

Rule 208(1) says "Park obstructing path of other vehicles or pedestrians" which is only a $178 expiation so not as bad I guess.

The Traffic Engineer went on to educate me that if someone parks opposite my driveway, i can do a multipoint turn to get out of my driveway, which i really appreciated getting educated about, 30+ years of driving and id never have thought of that.. but while we are quoting ARR's...

To make the multipoint turn to get out of your driveway when there is someone parked opposite it you would probably need to drive on the footpath to get around, Unfortunately rule 288(1) says that's a no-no "Drive on a Path" carries a whopping $386 fine, which is more of a fine than the person blocking the driveway would get. Interesting huh?

So in Summary, worse case costs to various people..

Person obstructing the driveway by parking opposite it: $0
Home Owner/Resident who has to drive on footpath to avoid hitting the above persons car: $386
Person in the back of the car who needs to get to a hospital in a hurry: $ add_your_own_value_here
Person Driving a Firetruck or Ambulance who also has to take councils advice to "take a few moves" to get around or up driveways: $unknown
Council $0

They are weird rules, have to be careful in how they are interpreted, but also be mindful when avoiding spending a couple of dollars painting a yellow line.