Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also I am shocked at how zippy the AWD is. Like the acceleration is literally sickeningly fast, I think I’m going to be more than happy with the RWD.
I took the LR for a test drive before the RWD to see if it would be worth it. It made my wife feel uncomfortable, a bit scared, and a bit car sick, due to the rapid acceleration and it was my first time ever using the regen braking. It felt super jerky. Sure you get used to it and I'm sure the LR dual motor would be heaps of fun, but when we got into the RWD it just felt... Smoother and more comfortable?

We decided that the extra 10+k wasn't worth it, and I also wanted an LFP battery for safety and ease of charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
No, we tested both variants in standard mode, standard steering. I then changed to comfort steering on the RWD and found that easier for the test drive getting around the Parramatta roads.
I launched both cars. The LR has so much OOMPH, the RWD was a bit sluggish off the mark but picks up really quickly. I am not a speed demon and never launch my cars from stationary. The acceleration of the RWD was plenty for my needs.
Plus with a 4 month old baby I'm definitely not going to be punching it from 0 to 100 anytime soon 😁

Reactions: dronus
OMG, do I think what I see
1700606214947.png

I don't really believe the story that it was only one car. This whole issue would have been sorted by now if it were that small-scale. They'd have undergone the original fumigation and been given the all-clear.
It could've just been one car, stinkbugs are highly invasive and the Australian Agriculture do not want to take any chances, I've seen cases where 1 stinkbug turned into 300 within an hour, these bugs are not the bugs you want to deal with.

Reactions: MrMister
Nice one, I’ve done the same thing. Ordered my original MYP on August 6th which ended up in the Glovis and cancelled for a cheaper inventory with same spec - was hoping it wasn’t in the Glovis but turns out it was as well. Spoke with Tesla recently and asked if there’s any others on different ships and there was so they’ve changed my VIN across.

Did they tell you where your new MYP is? I’m guessing my one is on Don Juan or already on land. Fingers crossed, don’t want to jinx it. This whole thing with GC has been a debacle. Really hope it works out for everyone before Xmas.
Aparantly it’s at the docks in Melb, just waiting for transport to take it to a delivery centre.

RWD was a bit sluggish off the mark but picks up really quickly
I remember a time when most cars did 0-100 in 10-13 seconds… Even now, most cars are over 8 seconds.

Where performance actually matters, like overtaking the rwd is plenty quick.

I too prefer the LFP. I couldn’t justify the extra cost of the long range. I don’t drive long distances, if it happens once a year then it’s a lot. I can see the long range maybe being appealing for towing but it’s not something I do either.

Last edited: