Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that now have their Ys (RWD), what energy consumption stats are you averaging?

For reference, we had one of the 2020 M3s and the consumption stats are better on the old vehicle vs the new M3 we also just took delivery of:

2020 M3SR+ 50Kw ~135Wh/km (I'm assuming NCA 54kw)
2023 M3RWD 62Kw ~150Wh/km (I'm assuming LFP 62kw)
2023 MYRWD ~?????

From what I can glean online, the LFPs are cheaper to build but less energy dense. Hence, a LFP battery pack has to be slightly bigger.

Assuming my figures for the new M3 are accurate (more time needed to get good stats), my conclusion from this is that the LFP cars might be cheaper to buy but more expensive to run because you need an extra 8kw of charge to get the same range as earlier. I'm sure 8kw per charge isn't big bikkies anyway but I found this interesting.

Please someone poke holes in the logic or at least share what their MYRWD efficiency stats are. Note if you fancy yourself as Dan Ricciardo when you drive, please feel free to leave your stats off :)
2022 MYRWD Lightly loaded (2 adults very little luggage 100/110kph freeway) ~ 155Wh/km. Noticed an around town figure (mainly 60kph zones but some slower zones) of 107Wh/km in heavy rain once.

Now your assumption of LFP batteries being 62kWh is not what I see in my Model Y. It is 56.8kWh usable from extrapolating percentage battery used to 100% I am finding. But it does show there is energy buffer of 2.7kWh as seen in the screenshot below which might show up if I pushed the car below 0% I think. Then adding that buffer to my usable takes my battery close to nominal full of 59.6kWh as also seen in the screenshot below. Then allowing for degradation it pushes it up to 60.5kWh new.
Screenshot_20230313_155628 - Copy.jpg

2022 MYRWD Lightly loaded (2 adults very little luggage 100/110kph freeway) ~ 155Wh/km. Noticed an around town figure (mainly 60kph zones but some slower zones) of 107Wh/km in heavy rain once.

Now your assumption of LFP batteries being 62kWh is not what I see in my Model Y. It is 56.8kWh usable from extrapolating percentage battery used to 100% I am finding. But it does show there is energy buffer of 2.7kWh as seen in the screenshot below which might show up if I pushed the car below 0% I think. Then adding that buffer to my usable takes my battery close to nominal full of 59.6kWh as also seen in the screenshot below. Then allowing for degradation it pushes it up to 60.5kWh new.View attachment 917016
Just curious... How to get this view ;) haven't been in my tesla yet but still it looks nice :)

What is a 2019 M3 stealth?
Standard non performance brakes, standard 18" wheels (not 20") and no metal pedals. "Stealth' as other than dual motor with red underline logo on trunk, it looks exactly like the standard range cars. Originally no track mode but I believe this was added to the stealth versions later via over the air update. Possibly faster than the non stealth performance cars due to lower weight in the wheels.

For those with solar power and wall connector, what app do you plan to use to make sure that your Tesla is charging only from solar power? I am new to this charging business - charge hq had good reviews but are there any others?
I have charge HQ but can’t get it to charge only off solar and not the grid. I have a fronius inverter and Tesla wall charger. Would be great if someone can screenshot their settings that charge only off solar.

if you look on your "thank you for your order" email, there should be a time the email was received which should be pretty much right after you placed the order.

View attachment 917037
I can't speak for @WhoMYP but most MYP order people didn't get an email or sms when they placed their order. I know I ordered on first morning but I never wrote down what time it was and have no firm concept of when it was.

Reactions: jcan and WhoMYP
Okay, as expected the Paganella is standing by just outside of port Kembla. The less good news is that it's now set to dock on the 19th instead of the 17th. I consider it unlikely now that the Turandot's date won't also move.

The Grande Mirafiori is also hanging outside of Port Kembla with an unchanged dock date.

The Turandot has left BNE but for some strange reason the app says it's going back to BNE tomorrow. That can't be right. It's supposed to be on its way to Port Kembla now. Weird.

The good news is that it is still looking like our cars will be off the boat before next Monday. This is still the week for docking for all NSW/ACT orders with close EDDs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hugh L.
For those with solar power and wall connector, what app do you plan to use to make sure that your Tesla is charging only from solar power? I am new to this charging business - charge hq had good reviews but are there any others?
I’m not sure about specific apps, but this is the reason why I bought a myenergi Zappi instead of the Tesla or other wall charger.

The Zappi uses CT sensors to monitor your PV system, the current required by your house and then it will divert the excess solar energy.

The Zappi has a number of modes, which Eco+ is completely solar, Eco is a combination of solar and grid, then I’ve never bothered about the other modes.

You get a nice looking app that doubles up your data from your solar PV system reports, but it will also show charging stats which your PV inverter will not.

I’m not sure about specific apps, but this is the reason why I bought a myenergi Zappi instead of the Tesla or other wall charger.

The Zappi uses CT sensors to monitor your PV system, the current required by your house and then it will divert the excess solar energy.

The Zappi has a number of modes, which Eco+ is completely solar, Eco is a combination of solar and grid, then I’ve never bothered about the other modes.

You get a nice looking app that doubles up your data from your solar PV system reports, but it will also show charging stats which your PV inverter will not.
Just be warned that, with the Zappi, you have to use the Tesla App to unlock the charging cable instead of just pressing a physical button. That's why I went with the wall connector

Reactions: singo79
This all very frustrating. I also ordered MYP within first 30 minutes of orders opening on 10-June. My EDD also currently showing April 14 to May 5. I also spoke to Tesla a few days ago about this and they couldn't understand my EDD as they confirmed my car is on Paglia ... which is hopefully being unloaded as we speak. It's further frustrating as I started paying off the balance when advised a delivery window starting 14-Feb as have daily pay-anyone limit so thought I'd do multiple payments over a few days to make sure I had car paid for at least 48 hours before delivery. Stopped payments when delayed to 19-Mar to 9-Apr EDD. Now I'm not sure what to do, every possibility my car could be ready for delivery next week although my EDD is showing April 14 ... if I need to have car paid in full at least 48 hours before delivery I need to complete payment this week ... but Tesla can't/don't give me any confidence of when I will actually get my car. Tesla really need to improve the information they provide ;)
Okay, as expected the Paganella is standing by just outside of port Kembla. The less good news is that it's now set to dock on the 19th instead of the 17th. I consider it unlikely now that the Turandot's date won't also move.

The Grande Mirafiori is also hanging outside of Port Kembla with an unchanged dock date.

The Turandot has left BNE but for some strange reason the app says it's going back to BNE tomorrow. That can't be right. It's supposed to be on its way to Port Kembla now. Weird.

The good news is that it is still looking like our cars will be off the boat before next Monday. This is still the week for docking for all NSW/ACT orders with close EDDs.
Thanks for the update Krylonos! One possible explanation could be docking fees. Staying offshore for x2 days could save fees. Factors driving this maybe resourcing - drivers to unload/storage space for vehicles unloaded/transport truck availability. Who knows??? So just like Port Melbourne recently experienced - it is cheaper for ships to stay just outside the shopping centre car park before entering the boom gate where you pay for each hour you park. An alternative theory could be around 5 nuclear powered submarines (unseen of course) awaiting to dock in Pt Kembla. 😉