Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got assigned a VIN yesterday for a car that arrived in WA nearly three months ago. And delivery is in Queensland. Seems highly unusual. Thoughts?
That is highly unusual, Tesla don't normally like to transfer inventory between states.

But there's a handful of February built Model Y Performance that have been waiting for a buyer since they arrived here in May.
Is it one of those?

They might have realised they've saturated the local market with MYPs after shipping over 300 here in the last few months, and are now trying to get these $100k+ cars off the balance sheet any way they can.

Thanks! Just picked up our Tesla today and I ordered a mobile charger hopefully it will come soon else I have no way to charge my car 😅 so do I also have to buy another adaptor for when I charge at a public station? Or can I use the mobile charger I got from Tesla at a public charging station?
Yes, only for some thought. Lots have the cable so just plug in. For some you’ll need a type 2 cable for some chargers. PlugShare app is pretty good for finding out which ones need it.

Reactions: pattitay28
Does all new standard range MY comes with LFP(lithium iron phosphate) batteries? I was watching a random Youtube video about MYRWD(yes my waiting period is being consumed by watching tesla youtube videos 😅) and saw they mentioned about LFP battery and how they can keep charging to 100% always.
In Australia, MYRWD has LFP and Tesla recommends leaving it plugged in whenever possible and charging to 100% at least once a week.

• Informative
Reactions: Epping2023
FYI tesla waited over a week, and only after a phone call from me to chase up, did they let me know there was an issue with my signature on my registration application form. Issue being it didn't match my drivers license. Have a feeling it held up my delivery but don't know for sure. Now into my third delivery window time frame after being pushed back twice. Still hopeful of picking up the get car within next 2 weeks but lets see..

As an aside my novated lease company are pushing me to settle today / tomorrow to lock in their current 'rate'. I was a bit reluctant as ive heard I should wait until i get the delivery schedule text before paying for the car but I do want to lock in the current price being quoted by the novated lease company..

I've noticed the tesla website shows tails for 8a and 12a with the UMC. But everyone keeps mentioning 10amp and 15amp. What am I missing? thanks in advance
There are 2 types of tails being delivered to Tesla owners. It seems to be the luck of the draw which ones you will get.

Once you receive your UMC, have a look at the Text at the Face of the Socket. It will tell you the rating of the Plug. For Australia, you should receive:

Case 1: 8amp Plug, and 12amp plug.

Case 2: 10amp Plug, and 15amp Plug.

I received Case 2, however, the car is still maxing out at 12amp because of an issue with Firmware that tesla is yet to resolve.

In short, the Tesla store is advertising Case 1 (to protect their ass).

Reactions: catham8
There are 2 types of tails being delivered to Tesla owners. It seems to be the luck of the draw which ones you will get.

Once you receive your UMC, have a look at the Text at the Face of the Socket. It will tell you the rating of the Plug. For Australia, you should receive:

Case 1: 8amp Plug, and 12amp plug.

Case 2: 10amp Plug, and 15amp Plug.

I received Case 2, however, the car is still maxing out at 12amp because of an issue with Firmware that tesla is yet to resolve.

In short, the Tesla store is advertising Case 1 (to protect their ass).
Thank you, That explains it. I will check my UMC when I get home today.

I was also wondering is it safe to use extension cords, I know there is a disclaimer on the tesla site saying do not use them but I have heard of people doing it out of necessity. Someone recommend getting a heavy duty bunnings extension cord.

Reason I ask is that the 6m UMC cable isn't long enough to run from the garage to where the car will be parked, I could drive the tesla in further but the driveway is so tight I can barely open the doors so therefore an outdoor extension cord would solve the problem if its safe to do so..

I was also wondering is it safe to use extension cords, I know there is a disclaimer on the tesla site saying do not use them but I have heard of people doing it out of necessity. Someone recommend getting a heavy duty bunnings extension cord.

Reason I ask is that the 6m UMC cable isn't long enough to run from the garage to where the car will be parked, I could drive the tesla in further but the driveway is so tight I can barely open the doors so therefore an outdoor extension cord would solve the problem if its safe to do so..
There's a couple of reasons to avoid extension cords.

One is that the UMC has a heat sensor in the plug, so it can slow/stop charging if it detects the socket it's attached to is heating up too much - this obviously won't work if the UMC is connected via an extension cord.

Another is that extension leads often have pretty light wire gauge, which can heat up and/or excessively drop the voltage available to the car - you can avoid this by getting an extension lead that has a thicker wire gauge, but I wouldn't just rely on a "heavy duty" cable from Bunnings - often that just means it has thicker/sturdier insulation. A "welding rated" lead from a welding supply store is one source of extension leads suitable for long use at high currents (look for one with at least 1.5 mm² conductors, eg this one).

Using an extension lead also adds to the number of plug/socket connections, and each one is a place for a potential dodgy connection that can heat up excessively.

Can you reverse the Tesla in so that the charging port is closer to the socket?

There's a couple of reasons to avoid extension cords.

One is that the UMC has a heat sensor in the plug, so it can slow/stop charging if it detects the socket it's attached to is heating up too much - this obviously won't work if the UMC is connected via an extension cord.

Another is that extension leads often have pretty light wire gauge, which can heat up and/or excessively drop the voltage available to the car - you can avoid this by getting an extension lead that has a thicker wire gauge, but I wouldn't just rely on a "heavy duty" cable from Bunnings - often that just means it has thicker/sturdier insulation. A "welding rated" lead from a welding supply store is one source of extension leads suitable for long use at high currents (look for one with at least 1.5 mm² conductors, eg this one).

Using an extension lead also adds to the number of plug/socket connections, and each one is a place for a potential dodgy connection that can heat up excessively.

Can you reverse the Tesla in so that the charging port is closer to the socket?
Yes I can reverse it in but its quick tight and tricky. Iam renting and the driveway isnt great in that there isnt a smooth slope into it either. But ill try in the first instance.

Got my delivery date for next Tuesday. Excited. I am wondering how much time I should allow to inspect the car and take delivery. I have some other things going on that day and might need to push some stuff but wondering how long I should allow for the entire process? Also wondering does anyone have a good check list and tips for making the pickup?

Also wondering what is the best method to choose when claiming electric costs on a novated lease? Two options are the assumed method versus actual cost method.

Last edited:
I am wondering how much time I should allow to inspect the car and take delivery
It's up to you how long you take. You can be out the door within 10 minutes, or you can go over a full checklist like this and spend an hour.

The most important thing will be to check for any scrapes or dents the car picked up during transport that the Tesla staff haven't noticed themselves.

You get a few days to report any cosmetic issues, but external scrapes are the kind of thing best detected before you drive off, so that there's no chance they were caused by you after delivery.

I put an order in a couple of weeks ago, and whilst I could cobble together the coin to buy outright, for business/tax reasons, it was smarter for us to get most of the vehicle financed by our bank. On top of that, we're going to trade in the current dino-juice burner, and the two combined will cover the cost of the vehicle.

The trade-in is still "pending valuation" - no worries, that can take some time.

We have no VIN (have checked for hidden VIN). Or bank are now asking for an invoice (I have that from the order), and want to pay Tesla now.

I'm comfortable with that - but at the same time, I'm wondering if that's going to throw something out behind the scenes? Is "early" payment a problem (it'll be $50,000 of the $67,000 odd purchase price)?

I put an order in a couple of weeks ago, and whilst I could cobble together the coin to buy outright, for business/tax reasons, it was smarter for us to get most of the vehicle financed by our bank. On top of that, we're going to trade in the current dino-juice burner, and the two combined will cover the cost of the vehicle.

The trade-in is still "pending valuation" - no worries, that can take some time.

We have no VIN (have checked for hidden VIN). Or bank are now asking for an invoice (I have that from the order), and want to pay Tesla now.

I'm comfortable with that - but at the same time, I'm wondering if that's going to throw something out behind the scenes? Is "early" payment a problem (it'll be $50,000 of the $67,000 odd purchase price)?
Early payment does not bother Tesla at all. I don't know if it is a problem for your bank, as you may have a loan secured against an as-yet nonexistent vehicle . I expect you will be paying some more interest, as the loan will start earlier.

My business bought the car outright. We paid in full when Tesla asked for it, then they pushed the delivery date back and ended up holding our money for nearly two months before delivery. At current interest rates, that can cost hundreds of dollars.

If it turns out that you have overpaid, because you later receive payment for your trade-in vehicle, Tesla are supposed to refund you within 3-4 weeks. It has been over a month for me now without payment and Tesla have ignored my polite follow-up emails. I will need to call them today.