Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting...

At my end, order for RWD, White with Black interior, 19" Gemini made on 11 July and I have no VIN... at least, I think I don't - I'm using a Chrome extension called "Tesla VIN Finder" - obviously I don't know if it works or not. However, to double-check, I have done a "View source" and searched "5YJ" being Tesla's manufacturer code, and nothing found.

I wonder if Shanghai do runs of LR for a few days, then swap to Performance, then back to RWD?
It sounds like you are searching the right way for the VIN, although the RWD VIN has LRW at the start. The Chrome Extension apparently works, but some people don't like the privacy implications. I never had a hidden VIN. It first showed in the source code after I received notification.
I believe they do work in batches, so you probably won't see MYLR or MYP and MYRWD built on the same day.

Anyone else got an email from Tesla saying significant port congestion impacting several vessels arriving into Australia, causing delays in processing and delivery?
This happens from time to time when the ports are getting congested. If you know which vessel your car is on, you can track it's progress. By looking at the port schedules, you can get a sense of delays to expect. They can be substantial sometimes. Or you can pay for Vedaprime to do the work for you. In the past, Tesla reps were giving very inaccurate information. I can't speak for what they are doing now, but would be very sceptical of anything they say.

Picked up my MYRWD Yesteday from Port Melbourne.

Pickup Experience:

Arrived about 10 mins before my scheduled pickup time. The Staff at the front desk checked my ID and pointed out where my car was parked. Went down to the delivery floor where one of the staff showed us the car and walked us through setting up the key on my and Partner's Phone. He then left us to check the car out by ourselves unbothered. He just told us to honk if required.

The Car:

Wow! not a single issue found. Checked panel gaps, interior quality, exterior paint, all glass windows, and under the car. Used a checklist that took about 30mins to get through with 2 people. I can confirm the car comes Boombox and the Parcel Shelf. No UMC. Car was charged to 76% (Staff said to plug the car in if you wanted more juice, but we decided to take it out as we were keen to try it on the road)

The drive is very smooth. Took about 40km for the car to complete the calibration process before I could use Cruise Control. Barely hear outside of the car in middle of Traffic. Still trying to get used to all the functions, but one I found really amazing is the car will give you a ding when you are in traffic and the light turns green, or the car ahead starts moving after a full stop. I found that so useful considering I frequently day dream when I drive. The steering wheel is much stiffer than my previous small car. Something I'll need to get used to.

Car took about 30mins to update when we arrived home. Plugged to charge using UMC. I'm still getting used to the car fan's operating randomly when in the garage (checked the manual and says they run to 1) keep the car dry, 2) maintain battery at "optimum" temperature, and 3) to cool the car if its too hot. Its been a rainy day in Melbourne, so I'm assuming its Option 1)

Can't wait to start using the voice commands and see what they can do.

Anyway, thanks to everyone on this Forum for helping me understand the process and all the questions that I had. I'm going to bow out of this Thread now!

Good luck to all those that are waiting!

Cheers,
Congrats! When did you order it? I ordered my LR in early July, and no progress yet.

I'm using a Chrome extension called "Tesla VIN Finder" - obviously I don't know if it works or not. However, to double-check, I have done a "View source" and searched "5YJ" being Tesla's manufacturer code, and nothing found.

The Chrome extension works great. If it doesn't detect a VIN it means you either don't yet have a VIN assigned, or you have a pending trade-in or an incomplete task (such as choosing cash vs finance) that's suppressing the hidden VIN.

5YJ is the manufacturer code for cars built at Tesla's Fremont plant.
All Tesla Shanghai vehicles start with LRW so you need to search for that.
Or search the source code for "insuredVIN" as the hidden VIN will show up on the same line:

sourcecode-hiddenVIN-redacted.png

If you have "vin":null,"insuredVIN":null then you don't have a VIN assigned yet, or an incomplete task suppressing the VIN.
If you still have a generic EDD like Jul-Aug then you likely don't have a VIN assigned yet.
If you have something like 15 Aug - 31 Aug then you should have a VIN.

I wonder if Shanghai do runs of LR for a few days, then swap to Performance, then back to RWD?

They can switch between variants multiple times per day, although they do seem to build for multiple RHD markets (UK, Aus, Japan, NZ etc) within the same few days.

The Chrome extension works great. If it doesn't detect a VIN it means you either don't yet have a VIN assigned, or you have a pending trade-in or an incomplete task (such as choosing cash vs finance) that's suppressing the hidden VIN.

5YJ is the manufacturer code for cars built at Tesla's Fremont plant.
All Tesla Shanghai vehicles start with LRW so you need to search for that.
Or search the source code for "insuredVIN" as the hidden VIN will show up on the same line:

View attachment 960494

If you have "vin":null,"insuredVIN":null then you don't have a VIN assigned yet, or an incomplete task suppressing the VIN.
If you still have a generic EDD like Jul-Aug then you likely don't have a VIN assigned yet.

They can switch between variants multiple times per day, although they do seem to build for multiple RHD markets (UK, Aus, Japan, NZ etc) within the same few days.
Thank you for a very useful and informative post!

I will begin searching for the correct VIN - but I also note you comment on a pending trade-in which is true in my case. I might give them a call next week, it's been pending for 2 weeks, so I'd have thought they would be close to confirming a price by now :)

Thanks again!

I also note you comment on a pending trade-in which is true in my case. I might give them a call next week, it's been pending for 2 weeks, so I'd have thought they would be close to confirming a price by now
Unfortunately they won't start assessing your trade-in until your car is close to delivery.

They had too many problems last year where Teslas were taking up to 12 months to arrive, and they had to adjust the trade-in values because in the meantime the age and kilometers increased and the second hand market dropped from the Covid highs.

You can remove the trade-in from your account and add it back later. Tesla kept emailing me asking if I wanted to trade in a vehicle until a few weeks before delivery.

Thought I’d just share my experience here over the past few months. I ordered my Y RWD 9th of May. Trade in offer by 22nd of May. My car was actually built on the 12th of May but I didn’t get a VIN allocated until I declined the trade in. Deliver window was initially July 16 - Aug 5. A couple of weeks ago it got pushed back to July 31st - Aug 21. There are a few car carrying ships due to arrive at Port Kembla in the next few days. They have all gone via Brisbane as usual so good chance these are Tesla ships and my car could be on one of them. This is my second Tesla from Shanghai so pretty similar experience to last time 2 years ago. Just a longer shipping time.

• Informative
Reactions: JonDarian

The timeframe on my app updated earlier today to show dates, but no VIN assigned yet. Can't find it on the source code either.
Perhaps thats something to do with the fact that it only got updated this morning? Not sure really.

Thought I’d just share my experience here over the past few months. I ordered my Y RWD 9th of May. Trade in offer by 22nd of May. My car was actually built on the 12th of May but I didn’t get a VIN allocated until I declined the trade in. Deliver window was initially July 16 - Aug 5. A couple of weeks ago it got pushed back to July 31st - Aug 21. There are a few car carrying ships due to arrive at Port Kembla in the next few days. They have all gone via Brisbane as usual so good chance these are Tesla ships and my car could be on one of them. This is my second Tesla from Shanghai so pretty similar experience to last time 2 years ago. Just a longer shipping time.
Just used the molace.com website to search my VIN and it’s on the Sunrise Ace which is scheduled to dock at Port Kembla in the 1st of Aug.

Interesting...

At my end, order for RWD, White with Black interior, 19" Gemini made on 11 July and I have no VIN... at least, I think I don't - I'm using a Chrome extension called "Tesla VIN Finder" - obviously I don't know if it works or not. However, to double-check, I have done a "View source" and searched "5YJ" being Tesla's manufacturer code, and nothing found.

I think the VIN here doesnt have 5YJ, try LRW? also if you're using the Chrome extension, a small pop up will show if there's a VIN or not

I test drove a MY RWD yesterday and seen the white interior on a showroom model. Seeing it in person I decided it wasn’t my cup of tea so changed the interior back to black.

Checked this morning and discovered I now have a VIN assigned!
Originally ordered MY LR 27/7 White/White but now White/Black
ETA: 20 Aug - 10 Sept

Side note: Does anyone know how to get in touch with Tesla to opt to change my delivery from home delivery to a delivery centre instead? Can’t see anywhere in the app to contact them

I test drove a MY RWD yesterday and seen the white interior on a showroom model. Seeing it in person I decided it wasn’t my cup of tea so changed the interior back to black.

Checked this morning and discovered I now have a VIN assigned!
Originally ordered MY LR 27/7 White/White but now White/Black
ETA: 20 Aug - 10 Sept

Side note: Does anyone know how to get in touch with Tesla to opt to change my delivery from home delivery to a delivery centre instead? Can’t see anywhere in the app to contact them
You can phone Tesla Sales, but for non-urgent things, you can respond directly to their SMS and they should get back to you in about a day.

The timeframe on my app updated earlier today to show dates, but no VIN assigned yet. Can't find it on the source code either.
Are you trading in a car to Tesla?

Have you completed all the "tasks" in your Tesla account?
The way I check for my VIN is by logging into my tesla account then visiting this https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/oxp-bff-api/user-orders. It shows the order along with the options since I'm hoping we get the HW4 soon.
That page hasn't shown the VIN for over a year.
And the options code on that page won't tell you if it's HW4, you need to ask someone who can search Tesla's EPC by VIN.

The best way to search for hidden VIN is with the Tesla VIN Finder chrome extension - it also works on Android on Kiwi Browser.

Or manually search the source code of the product-finalize page for LRW or insuredVIN as I posted earlier

sourcecode-hiddenVIN-redacted.png

Reactions: cafz
Same, on the exact same day - except that I started with White RWD and white interior - and changed on 24th July to Black interior.

I have a horrible feeling this might have put me at the back of the queue :(
I ordered MYRWD with 19 inch wheels and black interior on 24/06 with pickup in Sydney and no trade in.

No update from Tesla on VIN. No VIN assigned in the backend either.

Estimated date is June to August. Not sure how close am I go being adobe a VIN.