Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally agree but what I was trying to say that front sensors would have been good. :)
They would be good, however not all cars have parking sensors and we should be careful to rely on any technology to completely replace all our skills as we are still responsible for the operation of the car, and to keep an eye out for upcoming dangers etc.
I agree tho, they would be good :)

Reactions: Jules22
If parking sensors are removed, it's uncertain whether they would still detect children in front of the car. If not, that would be quite concerning.
I agree, however we should still maintain some hazard perception when operating a vehicle, and be able to also operate vehicles that don’t have parking sensors I guess.
But yes I agree, a new car should have them

Reactions: Jules22
I don't understand why Tesla have decided to remove the sensors, it's a proven technology that works and is probably cheap to implement. Surely the cost of R&D for these cameras outweighs any savings of removing a few sensors?
I like what Tesla are doing with software and cheap set of cameras, but using camera only from high on the windscreen just doesn't work...if they had a bumper camera (like Model S X) then I'm sure it'll just work (eventually).... so don't know what theyre thinking using vision only from the windscreen where there is a low blindspot in front of car.... I don't understand!!!???

Reactions: dronus and Way69
I learned a few things about car shipping that I found interesting yesterday and while these apply to car shipping in general not just to the GC I thought you may find them interesting
1) When you contract a ship you can either take the whole ship in which case you usually pay an amount per day for the duration of the voyage or your can take a fixed number of cars and pay a fixed amount per car. If Tesla had lease the whole GC then they would be losing money each day it sat off Brisbane, as they only lease a had a fixed number of space the ship agent/owner pays for the delay. They apparently carry insurance against delays based on the track record of the ship. Though the insurance does not cover the full cost or all lost of profits. I bet the GC will cost a lot more to insure now. This is why most car companies have moved away from leasing whole ships as it becomes complex and costly to have the necessary protections in place.
2) Australia does not have enough quarantine inspectors. I was told that the port of Brisbane is in the process of hiring at least an extra 20 inspectors. It takes time to hire and train so no quick fix. The lack of inspectors is seriously delaying inspections.
3) Over the holiday period there is a shortage of drivers & support staff to unload Roll on/Roll off ships. This may or may not cause more delays to the GC depending on how late it finally docks.
Hope this is of interest, I'll now go back to watch the GC track patterns off Brisbane :-(

I learned a few things about car shipping that I found interesting yesterday and while these apply to car shipping in general not just to the GC I thought you may find them interesting
1) When you contract a ship you can either take the whole ship in which case you usually pay an amount per day for the duration of the voyage or your can take a fixed number of cars and pay a fixed amount per car. If Tesla had lease the whole GC then they would be losing money each day it sat off Brisbane, as they only lease a had a fixed number of space the ship agent/owner pays for the delay. They apparently carry insurance against delays based on the track record of the ship. Though the insurance does not cover the full cost or all lost of profits. I bet the GC will cost a lot more to insure now. This is why most car companies have moved away from leasing whole ships as it becomes complex and costly to have the necessary protections in place.
2) Australia does not have enough quarantine inspectors. I was told that the port of Brisbane is in the process of hiring at least an extra 20 inspectors. It takes time to hire and train so no quick fix. The lack of inspectors is seriously delaying inspections.
3) Over the holiday period there is a shortage of drivers & support staff to unload Roll on/Roll off ships. This may or may not cause more delays to the GC depending on how late it finally docks.
Hope this is of interest, I'll now go back to watch the GC track patterns off Brisbane :-(

If Tesla had stuck to their earlier approach of hiring whole ships, they might've dodged the recent drama with the stink bugs. By having the whole ship to themselves, they'd have better control over biosecurity, rather than now where they've got no say over the other brands' cars on board.

It might be pricier upfront to hire a whole ship, but it could save a heap of money in the long run, especially compared to the losses from a ship just bobbing around at sea for two months.

Reactions: Way69
1000010209.png

GC back on the schedule. Albeit to a grain terminal, but at least it's doing something!

I like what Tesla are doing with software and cheap set of cameras, but using camera only from high on the windscreen just doesn't work...if they had a bumper camera (like Model S X) then I'm sure it'll just work (eventually).... so don't know what theyre thinking using vision only from the windscreen where there is a low blindspot in front of car.... I don't understand!!!???
Vision is unfortunately one of Elons more stubborn moments. It’s akin to Steve Jobs and his viewpoint on iPhone size.

It’s been going on for ages and they can’t get it right. Maybe one day he will have a “square peg, round hole” epiphany.

Last edited:
I sent an SMS to Tesla last night asking if I can change my order from MY RWD to LR AWD. I received a response back saying I will heave to cancel the current order and place a new order. I was also told that I will forfeit my original deposit. :(
I went to Tesla Parramatta this morning and spoke to a gentleman there about the above. He said the same that I will have to forfeit my deposit and place a new order. I said that's fine with me. Then I asked him if I can transfer my referral credit to the new order. He said he will check with his manager. A few minutes later he came back with his manager and told me that since my original order was on GC, they will refund my deposit. I cancelled my order there and then and placed a new oder for Blue/Black-White LR AWD. I am happy with the outcome.