Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have just joined us:

1702335928987.png

What are the risks associated with all that metal floating on salt water for weeks and months on end? Surely that will eventually have an impact on the likelihood of rust long term?
Yeah ok... jesus wept, are you serious? The cars onboard these vessels are probably the most protected cars on the planet. The salt water would have to get through the hull of the ship first then magically flood the vessel without actually sinking it before a single solitary drop of salt water reaches any of these cars. The people that have cars on this ship have plenty of problems to deal with but rust isn't one of them,

Yeah ok... jesus wept, are you serious? The cars onboard these vessels are probably the most protected cars on the planet. The salt water would have to get through the hull of the ship first then magically flood the vessel without actually sinking it before a single solitary drop of salt water reaches any of these cars. The people that have cars on this ship have plenty of problems to deal with but rust isn't one of them,
brb....just gotta find a chill pill....

Reactions: inexus
What are the risks associated with all that metal floating on salt water for weeks and months on end?
All cars into Australia are imported. At one time or another the vehicle carriers they are on are delayed while at sea. The cars are all enclosed within the ship and not exposed directly to sea water or spray. Additionally you will not know how long a car has been at the docks or on a ship when you see it in a showroom.

Therefore it is no different to any other car and I don't see modern imported cars having a rust problem.

Overall a problem that does not exist...

Reactions: Jules22
You know what, this is absolutely true. We miss a car, whilst these poor souls have been bobbing in place for 2 months and probably will not go home for another month at least.
yeah, some perspective can be a good thing. Most of the crew on these vessels wouldn't be home for Christmas regardless of the circumstance but it would still be a really frustrating situation for the crew. Most of these vessels have really good kitchen facilities with a great Chef onboard so you can rest assure they'll have a big feast planned!

Reactions: Jules22
Long time lurker with a Y on order since August.

FWIW - I spoke with the terminal late last week (I work in intl' logistics and we use them as a vendor for project cargo) and they said that they are waiting on instructions from the shipping line as to when they want a berth. I'll liaise with them again early next week and will keep you all updated if anything changes but if you believe what they say the hold up isn't with the terminal.

In my opinion, I think it's either still under quarantine direction from DAFF (though strange it's taking so long) or there could potentially be a dispute between ship owner and the cargo owners as to who is going to foot the bill for vessel detention while the GC has been waiting to discharge and the ship owner is delaying until settled (vessel demurrage/detention if you're interested). I'm hoping the latter is the more unlikely of the two as in my experience with bulk vessels (coal etc.) this is usually calculated and agreed after the fact - here's to hoping car carriers are the same.
Just heard back from the terminal... when prodded to see if they had been given instruction from the shipping line they coldly came back with "Nothing yet". Not the positive news I was hoping to report back with. Will keep chasing them until I get a different answer and will update as that unfolds.