Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So MC is scheduled to depart Port Kembla this afternoon at 16:00 but I can't seem to track down an expected arrival into Melbourne - assume its a couple of days trip.

I'm in Adelaide so expecting we unload there and then transfer via road from Melb - anyone have an idea on the timeframe from Melb to Adel based on previous experience?

Currently EDD is 14-Feb to 6-Mar which seems like a big gap if unloading on 22-23 Jan..

Just got assign VIN, I think I've been assigned a GC car (due for delivery from 23 Jan- 14 Feb). Although I probably don't care all that much, out of principle I as starting to wonder whether I should just forfeit the $400, and reorder in order to obtain a 2024 build. We did actually wait unti late December to order in the hope that we might get a 2024 build (but would have been fine if that didn't work out). To then end up with a Sep -23. build does p' me off a little bit.

Then the question is ... when would you have to reorder to ensure you weren't allocated another GC car!!

I understand from others here that Tesla say there is nothing you can do to get reassigned a different VIN. Does anyone know what happens if you don't pick it up during the designated delivery period. I thought I heard at some point you go to the back of the line and reassigned a new vehicle.

Reactions: RichY3
Just got assign VIN, I think I've been assigned a GC car (due for delivery from 23 Jan- 14 Feb). Although I probably don't care all that much, out of principle I as starting to wonder whether I should just forfeit the $400, and reorder in order to obtain a 2024 build. We did actually wait unti late December to order in the hope that we might get a 2024 build (but would have been fine if that didn't work out). To then end up with a Sep -23. build does p' me off a little bit.

Then the question is ... when would you have to reorder to ensure you weren't allocated another GC car!!

I understand from others here that Tesla say there is nothing you can do to get reassigned a different VIN. Does anyone know what happens if you don't pick it up during the designated delivery period. I thought I heard at some point you go to the back of the line and reassigned a new vehicle.
Given the volume of cars that were on GC, You will probably have to wait a while.

when would you have to reorder to ensure you weren't allocated another GC car!!
Best bet is to keep an eye on inventory for your state, and place an order when you see a 2024 model that you like

Does anyone know what happens if you don't pick it up during the designated delivery period
You'll lose your $400 deposit and have to reorder

Hmmm. Decisions. We are in absolutely no rush for the MY, so waiting isn't a problem. On the flip side - I don't actually believe that there will be anything "wrong" with these cars. Heart says re-order, head says stick with current order.

Not yet sure which way I'll go!

So MC is scheduled to depart Port Kembla this afternoon at 16:00 but I can't seem to track down an expected arrival into Melbourne - assume its a couple of days trip.

I'm in Adelaide so expecting we unload there and then transfer via road from Melb - anyone have an idea on the timeframe from Melb to Adel based on previous experience?

Currently EDD is 14-Feb to 6-Mar which seems like a big gap if unloading on 22-23 Jan..
I'm expecting MC to be displayed on the Melbourne Port arrivals page tomorrow (for Sun / Mon). Usually two weeks from there so it should be front end of suggested timeline (Feb 4-20 for me in Melb). I imagine Radelaide will be +1 week.

Reactions: timocall
Paulp - I specifically said that I didn't think there was anything wrong with these cars. I am not really a believer that fumigation chemicals would do any harm (although ... I really don't know - not my arena).

For mine though, it's a matter of process. I ordered my car in the hope that we might sneak into a 2024 build date, but if it was the very back end of 2023 then so be it. However, to then be assigned a car that was actually built six months prior to arriving - when those who they were originally assigned for are getting newer cars (some even 2024, from reports coming in!) - does make me think that we are being hard done by with respect to already having a car 6 months older.

I appreciate that the build hasn't changed in that time, so it's not like the car is any different. Does merely "existing" cause any degradation ... I wouldn't really have thought so ...

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

I dont understand why you all think a car that was returned for fumigation is somehow inferior. It wont have caused any mechanical or battery issues.
Has nothing to do with that, other than receiving a 6mth old car, and a MY23, insurance quotes put it at $2-400 more just in the MY alone

Then in 12-24months time when I sell it a MY23 is worth less than a MY24 etc…

Reactions: paulp
Paulp - I specifically said that I didn't think there was anything wrong with these cars. I am not really a believer that fumigation chemicals would do any harm (although ... I really don't know - not my arena).

For mine though, it's a matter of process. I ordered my car in the hope that we might sneak into a 2024 build date, but if it was the very back end of 2023 then so be it. However, to then be assigned a car that was actually built six months prior to arriving - when those who they were originally assigned for are getting newer cars (some even 2024, from reports coming in!) - does make me think that we are being hard done by with respect to already having a car 6 months older.

I appreciate that the build hasn't changed in that time, so it's not like the car is any different. Does merely "existing" cause any degradation ... I wouldn't really have thought so ...

Maybe I'm overthinking it.
I'm one of the people getting a 2024 build. I totally understand the frustration but also understand that we have been waiting for months as the GC sat off the coast, being led by the nose that "next week" would be the golden date of clearance. We have had leases cleared, finances sorted, old cars sold, accessories purchased etc.
So yes, we are ahead of the queue and prioritized for the first batch.
Also many are on the Morning Crystal which are still MY23 builds.

I'm a bit disappointed that Tesla are not offering a small discount or an incentive for the ex-GC cars and are just relisting them for sale.

However I'm also glad they're being sold. I would hate for thousands of cars to be built and then scrapped or abandoned just because of their manufacture date.

I'd say to the people getting GC cars, explain politely to Tesla you know the history and would accept the car with an intensive - see what you can get? Can't promise anything though. I think they've had it with the GC saga and want this all just done.

Reactions: paulp and RichY3