Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...stop...

AEB is a standard feature with no extra charge. It is NOT design to avoid collision but it is aimed to make the collision softer such as described by the manual: Instead of colliding at 56 mph AEB would allow you to collide at 26 mph, and it will not continue to brake once achieved its goal.

If you want a system to avoid collision (brake to a halt, not just slow down for a more gentle collision) then you can pay more for Autopilot.

AEB is a standard feature with no extra charge. It is NOT design to avoid collision but it is aimed to make the collision softer such as described by the manual: Instead of colliding at 56 mph AEB would allow you to collide at 26 mph, and it will not continue to brake once achieved its goal.

If you want a system to avoid collision (brake to a halt, not just slow down for a more gentle collision) then you can pay more for Autopilot.

Does AutoPilot have to be engaged for the "brake to halt" or simply having AP will do this? I have a '15 85D with AP1 + convenience features.

AP, any version, is good at maintaining a distance when following a vehicle even if that means slowing to a stop. No version is good about stopping when coming up to a stopped vehicle or obstacle. It may work some times, but you can't count on it.
Without AP engaged, you will run into things if you don't brake. As mentioned, the emergency features only aim to lessen the severity of the crash.
With AP not enabled for the car at all, cruise control is not "traffic assisted" and will run into slower cars ahead (if I understand correctly).

AP, any version, is good at maintaining a distance when following a vehicle even if that means slowing to a stop. No version is good about stopping when coming up to a stopped vehicle or obstacle. It may work some times, but you can't count on it.
Without AP engaged, you will run into things if you don't brake. As mentioned, the emergency features only aim to lessen the severity of the crash.
With AP not enabled for the car at all, cruise control is not "traffic assisted" and will run into slower cars ahead (if I understand correctly).

It’s not guaranteed, but plenty of YouTube videos showing it does brake aggressively even for two cars ahead.

No version is good about stopping when coming up to a stopped vehicle or obstacle. It may work some times, but you can't count on it.

Yep, this is still a huge problem which seems to happen mostly* at motorway speeds when a lead vehicle steps aside to reveal stopped traffic up ahead. Also known as Firetruck Super-Destruction [ironic FSD] mode.

Have personally experienced the phenomenon twice in 8 months over 32,000km, latest in software 2018.48.12.2, and it is damn scary every time!

Cautionary real-life video @55mph here.

* AP/TACC will generally brake to a full stop from 50 or 60kph if approaching stationary vehicles at a light in town, unless they are hidden by a bend, in which case it is much less likely to work.

* Have also seen AP [sw v.2018.34] fail to react when approaching behind a lorry on wide sweeping motorway curve at night with a 60kph speed differential, i.e. he doing 90kph, I doing 150kph. All software revisions from 2018.36 seem to have patched this defect though.

how does one activate the "Traffic Aware Cruise Control"?

Single pull on the AP stalk for TACC, double pull for full AP. The differences are basically autosteer and the way it reacts to speed limits.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you seriously need to sit down and read the user manual before trying out any of these features. Then you may well have other more detailed questions, but this one is the equivalent of asking "which pedal should I press to brake!

Reactions: OPRCE
how does one activate the "Traffic Aware Cruise Control"?

If you didn't buy Autopilot, you can't activate Traffic Aware Cruise Control but you can do it as simple conventional cruise control.

If you did buy Autopilot, your cruise control no longer a simple one, if you activate it, it's a smart one with the goal of avoiding crashing into obstacles.

For Model S and X, the control stick is on your left.

For Mode 3, the control is the same stick as your gear stick.

Remember that I've been saying "goal" and not reality. The purpose is to avoid crashing but in reality, it can still crash in certain scenarios so drivers still have to be alert to operate TACC or Autopilot and ready to intervene at any time.

It's the same way that the goal of aircraft autopilot is to avoid crashing but in reality, it can still crash.