Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto dimming mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think tesla hasn’t gotten around to updating the manual since the last update reads 2020.4/January 27, 2020.
I think the inclusion of this statement in the January 27, 2020 manual is their way of documenting the production change of the mirrors (emphasis mine):
Due to market region or build date, this may not be available on some vehicle
As is often the case, they don't flat out announce this change, but do let you know in a backhanded way that this feature has been discontinued. They can't remove all references to dimming mirrors in the manual since older cars do have them.

Last edited:
Reactions: IDRVSLO
I think the inclusion of this statement in the January 27, 2020 manual is their way of documenting the production change of the mirrors (emphasis mine):

As is often the case, they don't flat out announce this change, but do let you know in a backhanded way that this feature has been discontinued. They can't remove all references to dimming mirrors in the manual since older cars do have them.
Agreed. Oh well, should be glad we don’t have it right?

Can you post a picture of the mirror glass? Nobody has posted one yet that I've seen...
I don't think mine auto-dim, delivered 03/05/2020.

Attachments

• IMG_2046.jpeg
    IMG_2046.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 147
I hate my side mirrors at night. I have 30% on my window and can’t see well in reverse at night. I also wish only the passengers side tilted down in reverse.

If I recall correctly on my X, you can adjust the reverse position to be any where you want either mirror to be. Just adjust them while in reverse. It’s a “reverse profile”. Not sure Model 3 is the same. I kind of figured it out by accident.

Wow, the things that Tesla keep cutting costs on is getting a bit ridiculous at this point.

My car was manufactured in January of this year, picked up in 01/18, I still have the auto-dim mirrors. Perhaps sometimes between January to February is when they stopped having auto-dim mirrors?

epc shows a variant called NEC. I'm guessing means non-electrochromic?

Interesting to note that the whole assembly also has an NEC variant. Two possibilities:
The connector might not be there anymore.
Or maybe the connector is still dangling in there unused, but the ASSY refers to the whole assembly including the NEC glass, so there's two variants. In this case, upgrading is easy.

upload_2020-3-17_21-43-36.png

Last edited:
The first version of the mirror was made by Gentex. The Chrome Ring Bezel where the epoxy meets. I spoke to Gentex CS (2018) and was informed that it is not software adjustable. Gentex was really nice. Even had a an engineer from product group call me back. They make many of the OEM mirrors on the market. I may have posted that in another thread.

Back in early 2018 we were all trying to figure it out based on time and sunset sun rise. I even remember someone saying daylight savings time was off for the mirror. Cut the wire was what some did that didn't care for it.

I wonder how much the savings was. What is the rear view mirror in car now for 3 and Y?

Wow, the things that Tesla keep cutting costs on is getting a bit ridiculous at this point.

My car was manufactured in January of this year, picked up in 01/18, I still have the auto-dim mirrors. Perhaps sometimes between January to February is when they stopped having auto-dim mirrors?
They removed the reference to “auto dimming side mirrors” from the specifications page on January 30th. I had someone from service inquire further and verified it was a “January change.” When exactly they stopped actually putting them on I do not know. I ordered my car in January before they removed the feature, however my March build does not have them.