Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto folding wing mirrors - am I missing something here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would reduce the wear on the fold mechanism, if they only opened out when moving out from 'park' to D or R
My leaf only opens it mirrors when your about to set off.
If your just going back to the car to grab something, they fold again and again.
I know it’s not identical but half-way there

4EF24131-2649-4A74-B7A6-B03F022D0B0D.jpeg

Reactions: 26ct2143
It would reduce the wear on the fold mechanism, if they only opened out when moving out from 'park' to D or R
My leaf only opens it mirrors when your about to set off.
If your just going back to the car to grab something, they fold again and again.

Is that really something to worry about?

I've had folding mirrors on all of my cars for the last 20 years and so far not had a single failure due to use, some of those cars were new and some were second hand a couple in double-digit ages. The only one I had to replace was damaged due to vandalism (someone decided to kick off the wing mirrors nearest the pavement on every car on the street one night).

I find it useful to tell from a distance if the car is locked or not.

That's the main reason I had it enabled, however this morning is the second in last few days where they wouldn't unfold due to the ice :p despite having the preheat on for 15 minutes before I tried to get in... my impatience resulted in me giving them some gentle encouragement to open while pressing unfold on the screen - but I figure that's probably not good long term so for next few weeks I'll just leave them unfolded :)

That's the main reason I had it enabled, however this morning is the second in last few days where they wouldn't unfold due to the ice :p despite having the preheat on for 15 minutes before I tried to get in... my impatience resulted in me giving them some gentle encouragement to open while pressing unfold on the screen - but I figure that's probably not good long term so for next few weeks I'll just leave them unfolded :)
This must be a design issue, in 8 years my last car never had the mirrors freeze and stop folding. Admittedly in a fairly mild south England climate, but still had plenty of hard frosts and frozen snow.

Is that really something to worry about?

I've had folding mirrors on all of my cars for the last 20 years and so far not had a single failure due to use, some of those cars were new and some were second hand a couple in double-digit ages. The only one I had to replace was damaged due to vandalism (someone decided to kick off the wing mirrors nearest the pavement on every car on the street one night).

Sounds like something that some putz would put on his YouTube channel :(

Sounds like something that some putz would put on his YouTube channel :(

Pre-dated YouTube, but I suspect Jackie Chan or Chuck Norris could be influences.

We lived on the main route between all the local drinking establishments and the train station so there would be at least one of these types of incident every year; some young gentlemen are unable to exercise appropriate restraint when intoxicated.

Usually the "damage" was limited to clipping something back into place or removing discarded food from the car, on this occasion it prompted me to finally arrange off-street parking for myself before anything worse happened.