Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto frunk options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really do want to get the auto frunk for both my Tesla’s.

But I’d want to know if there is a completely manual way to open and close the frunk.

Years ago before all these auto frunk options came out I was on a road trip with my Model 3. I opened the frunk to take something out. However when I closed the frunk it would not latch. Upon further inspection the secondary latch would latch the hood but the main latch wouldn’t latch the hood. So it was propped open. I didn’t feel safe driving it home 300 miles with the frunk still open an inch. I didn’t want to risk having it bend due from air resistance or fly up into the windshield. Oh and it was a Sunday and I had work the next day. I called tesla service and they wanted me to bring it to a tesla service center where I was on Monday. I told them that was not an option because I had to be back at work. I told them the secondary latch worked but the main one wasn’t latching the frunk fully closed. I told them if I pull the spring out for the main latch then it’ll close but I won’t be able to open it. Well tesla customer service gave me the go ahead and said the service will still be able to open it. Well I made it home and several weeks later at my appointment tesla service was not able to open my frunk. They said the only way to open it was to cut the front bumper off. Luckily they recorded everything from the original conversation and paid for the new bumper and PPF. And they said never to pull that spring again incase it happens.

So since then I never use the frunk unless I really need the space.

So I want to know if these auto frunks have a completely manual release and latching mechanism. Not something electronic where I have to push the interior button. But a fully manual cable just incase.

I know old Porsche 911 owners modded their frunks with a hidden cable to the main latch to latch and unlatch incase it stops working normally. This can also be done on the tesla frunks.
The current Hansshow kits include a emergency release cable behind the tow cover as @ShelJW shows.

Reactions: pandam3
Curious If this emergency release cable allows you to also latch the frunk closed.

To get mine to close at the time I had to pull a spring off. Then it would latch close. I’m guessing if it is stuck open, one can pull the same spring to latch it closed and the emergency release cable will allow it to still be opened?

Curious If this emergency release cable allows you to also latch the frunk closed.

To get mine to close at the time I had to pull a spring off. Then it would latch close. I’m guessing if it is stuck open, one can pull the same spring to latch it closed and the emergency release cable will allow it to still be opened?

The cable is a manual unlock, it can still be closed manually (like OEM) if there is no power.

The answer to your question is no. This is only to release the latch mech. to access the frunk. Did SA investigate what caused the latch 2nd latch to fail? from the design, you have two things that can go wrong. the actual switch inside the latch or the locking mech.

The answer to your question is no. This is only to release the latch mech. to access the frunk. Did SA investigate what caused the latch 2nd latch to fail? from the design, you have two things that can go wrong. the actual switch inside the latch or the locking mech.
Now I remember. There is an actuator that pulls the latch to open it. So in order to close it all I can do is unhook the cable from the actuator so it latches. So does the emergency release cable allow you to open it if you remove remove the actuator cable?

Had the Hansshow on wife’s ‘22 MYP since February or so. It was a PITA to install the first one. I’ve done a few since. Easy peezy. Wife loves it. Puts all take-out food in frunk now.

Bought kit for my ‘22 Plaid. Will be installing in a few weeks. Strut replacement will be a lot simpler.

Now I remember. There is an actuator that pulls the latch to open it. So in order to close it all I can do is unhook the cable from the actuator so it latches. So does the emergency release cable allow you to open it if you remove remove the actuator cable?
I'm not 100% but latch emergency release is used incase the pull latch cable gets jammed or fails (mostly all frunk kits) they one model that's attached directly to the latch hinge, but all these models need the spring load tension to work.
Had the Hansshow on wife’s ‘22 MYP since February or so. It was a PITA to install the first one. I’ve done a few since. Easy peezy. Wife loves it. Puts all take-out food in frunk now.

Bought kit for my ‘22 Plaid. Will be installing in a few weeks. Strut replacement will be a lot simpler.
I did the same thing on my 22. Waited 1 month after my delivery ( mostly due to out of stock) picked up Evoffer. We use it for the same reason.

Do people still have good experiences with this? Any installers in Phoenix Arizona?

I'm trying to decide EVOffer's V5 vs Aliexpress (Satonic V6s).
I just installed the Satonic V6s. Instructions were crap but there was a video that helped. Seems to work OK but only have used it a dozen times. I bought it because it seemed to be a newer unit and had a 2 year warranty (although they sort of lie - first year 100%, second year you must pay shipping). They also sent a 'free' frunk LED light. Surprise - it doesn't work properly. It lights up nicely but the button no longer works to open the hood from the inside. I asked tech support about it since it is a safety concern. Their reply:

"the frunk led is gift , For some cars , it is like that"

Great...

• Funny
Reactions: 101dals
I just installed the Satonic V6s. Instructions were crap but there was a video that helped. Seems to work OK but only have used it a dozen times. I bought it because it seemed to be a newer unit and had a 2 year warranty (although they sort of lie - first year 100%, second year you must pay shipping). They also sent a 'free' frunk LED light. Surprise - it doesn't work properly. It lights up nicely but the button no longer works to open the hood from the inside. I asked tech support about it since it is a safety concern. Their reply:

"the frunk led is gift , For some cars , it is like that"

Great...

Ground the frunk light to one of the frunk latch bolts. It'll work then.

The ground from the light is noisy and needs to go directly to the body. I recently added a light to an auto frunk I got in 2021 and it mentioned that in the instructions. Common issue

Reactions: FMinMI