Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVOffer & Hansshow auto frunk - do they report status properly? And reliability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uhh now this has me scared. I was looking forward to getting the power frunk installed in my newly arriving MYLR. But now I am strongly reconsidering. Especially if you have a company that refuses to stand behind their product a month after purchase.
Yes, it is and it sucks. Good thing this guy who installed the powerfrunk has all the extra parts. He came and fixed it.

Uhh now this has me scared. I was looking forward to getting the power frunk installed in my newly arriving MYLR. But now I am strongly reconsidering. Especially if you have a company that refuses to stand behind their product a month after purchase.
Keep in mind that Internet forums are heavily stacked with negative selection bias. For every one negative experience, there could be hundreds of positive experiences. Though with all cool aftermarket stuff like this, I would not do it unless you are handy and industrious or have a great local installer that will be your support proxy. I did it, I love it, and I have no worries if someday the hood sticks (I know I can fix it).

Keep in mind that Internet forums are heavily stacked with negative selection bias. For every one negative experience, there could be hundreds of positive experiences. Though with all cool aftermarket stuff like this, I would not do it unless you are handy and industrious or have a great local installer that will be your support proxy. I did it, I love it, and I have no worries if someday the hood sticks (I know I can fix it).
You make a good point. People don't post online if everything is going well and having no issues. But I would not feel comfortable installing something like this myself. Especially on a high tech rolling computer that is a tesla.

I need to find a good installer because there are a few goodies I'd like to add to the car.

So I installed the EVOffer power frunk back in November of 22. I probably have used it 20 or 30 times since then. Well last week the wife calls and says the frunk won't lock down and the car is saying its not closed. When she pushes the frunk release it makes a noise but nothing happens. So I come take a look and sure enough it wont release the lock all the way its open about 3/4 of an inch I push it shut all the way manually and get it home. Some trouble shooting it won't open, I had to use the emergency release cable to get it to open. It appears to me that the Power Frunk motor on the latch mechanism has failed. I have reached out to EVOffer but have not heard back from them. I'll update you if they make it right or not.

So I installed the EVOffer power frunk back in November of 22. I probably have used it 20 or 30 times since then. Well last week the wife calls and says the frunk won't lock down and the car is saying its not closed. When she pushes the frunk release it makes a noise but nothing happens. So I come take a look and sure enough it wont release the lock all the way its open about 3/4 of an inch I push it shut all the way manually and get it home. Some trouble shooting it won't open, I had to use the emergency release cable to get it to open. It appears to me that the Power Frunk motor on the latch mechanism has failed. I have reached out to EVOffer but have not heard back from them. I'll update you if they make it right or not.

EVOffer released a firmware recently that purportedly addresses the issue "a new feature that prevents the frunk from getting stuck, even when the latch motor is malfunctioning." 2023-03 Firmware Update for Electric Frunk

I know this may not help you now, the firmware might allow the car to function as if there is no power frunk.

In any case, please keep us posted on how it gets resolved.

Edit: By the way--thanks for your service. I have many SAR friends. Much respect.

I looked into this. There is no way I would buy any aftermarket powered frunk. The damage that could happen including peeling back at speed, cracking the windshield, not locking, not unlocking, faults...

the poor design Tesla has of not reinforcing the area where you press the hood down does suck but this these powered "solutions" aren't it.

I know the shopping parking lot cred is strong with a powered lid but the downsides are pretty large, imo.

I have read about this too. I wonder it the issue is with cable routing, where there was not a smooth pull path and the cable was binding.

The Y's hood is flimsy. I agree that if the struts have a lot of tension, pulling down the hood manually may cause damage. I'm curious to hear Y owners' experience on this.

Here too, I wonder if any Y owners with auto frunk have tracked phantom drain. Since the controller is directly connected, it is drawing some current all the time. Once you remove it from your S, please report back. If you are not using the car for a couple days, I suppose you could leave the hood open, unplug the module and see if there is a difference.

It's also good to know that EVOffer has good support. I hear many negative stories regarding Hansshow.
Digging this up from January - but my experience with an EVOffer auto trunk and frunk kit is that if you don't drive the car regularly, for reasonably extended periods of time, then you can expect to have to get your 12v battery replaced more often than you should otherwise expect to.

I've got a March 2020 car, bought an EVOffer trunk and frunk kit around July 2021, installed later that year. In November 2022 I had my first "12v battery needs to be replaced" error message, and today I've just had my second one. The 2nd 12v battery lasted less than a year.

My usage of the car is very low - I can go weeks at a time without driving it, and I've done a total of ~6300 miles in it since getting it. Because of this, both kits are just slowly sucking energy out of the 12v battery until such time as the car spontaneously wakes up to recharge it. This happens more and more often until the car eventually realises something is amiss. That's if you're lucky, if you're not you might find that you get an "electrical system cannot support functions" error, or possibly not even be able to get into the car and have to rely on the emergency pull cable which - as stories have attested to, is not necessarily reliable.

I'm also on my third cinch motor, the latest of which I had to pay $70 for. I've been mounting them in places that should not be affected by moisture, but evidently they are. More fool me for not realising I had to seal them up before using them? EVOffer doesn't mention that....

Reactions: snovvman
I've had the EVOffer frunk since about the end of 2021. It's worked mostly flawlessly with one small exception. The frunk would pop open but not open all the way unless you lifted it slightly. I talked to EVOffer and they recommended a spring swap which fixed the problem completely. I haven't had an issue since and have even had the car in for service where they were messing around in that area. I've a model 3.

Digging this up from January - but my experience with an EVOffer auto trunk and frunk kit is that if you don't drive the car regularly, for reasonably extended periods of time, then you can expect to have to get your 12v battery replaced more often than you should otherwise expect to.

I've got a March 2020 car, bought an EVOffer trunk and frunk kit around July 2021, installed later that year. In November 2022 I had my first "12v battery needs to be replaced" error message, and today I've just had my second one. The 2nd 12v battery lasted less than a year.

My usage of the car is very low - I can go weeks at a time without driving it, and I've done a total of ~6300 miles in it since getting it. Because of this, both kits are just slowly sucking energy out of the 12v battery until such time as the car spontaneously wakes up to recharge it. This happens more and more often until the car eventually realises something is amiss. That's if you're lucky, if you're not you might find that you get an "electrical system cannot support functions" error, or possibly not even be able to get into the car and have to rely on the emergency pull cable which - as stories have attested to, is not necessarily reliable.

I'm also on my third cinch motor, the latest of which I had to pay $70 for. I've been mounting them in places that should not be affected by moisture, but evidently they are. More fool me for not realising I had to seal them up before using them? EVOffer doesn't mention that....

Here is an EVOffer video with claims on drain:

I installed a version from late 2022/early 2023 (V5, I think) and do not see a phantom drain issue with my 15V lithium battery--yet. I took delivery in December 2022 and my Y has around 1100 miles on it so far, just to give you an idea on how much I drive the Y (because of other cars in the stable).

I see that you posted in the other thread regarding the latch motor. I share the concerns. My car has not yet seen rain, but I think I will find a way to keep water from finding its way into the cable and down the motor with the hope that it will help the longevity. I'm sure you, like me, wish these things were better designed and manufactured with higher quality....

Reactions: Durzel
That video came out after I contacted EVOffer with my concerns about how quickly my original battery failed. I think I was one of those "lot of people" he mentioned at the start :)

My original battery was mostly fine for a year or so after I installed both kits, but I noticed on TeslaMate that the car was starting to wake up more and more regularly (from once a week, to every 48 hours, to every 24 hours, etc) and it would stay awake for 1-3 hours each time. I confirmed with Tesla that these instances were due to the car "supporting the 12v system". I can't speak to how well the lithium batteries handle parasitic drains - it could be that they are basically fine with it vs the lead acid ones.

The biggest problem with these kits is the latch motor, in my opinion. The part they supply is clearly a generic one, as it's a very weird shape that looks like it's designed to fit inside or into something else. It clearly isn't meant to be exposed to the elements, though, and I think in retrospect it is pretty bad that EVOffer (and probably Hansshow as well) don't either provide something that is waterproof, or tell customers to seal up the latch motor themselves. Their recommendation is simply to install it wherever you can around the front of the car, cable tied to something.

I can't speak for the Y but the frunk on the 3 isn't a particularly well sealed thing. The frunk shell sits on runners that just locate it in place, but there is more than enough space for moisture to find a way inside. Whenever I have removed my frunk shell to do work inside - usually replacing these damn latch motors - there has been little pools of water in places down towards the front of the car. WIth the second latch motor I went out of my way to install it well out of the way of any of this, but it didn't make any difference.

I'm in the UK so it rains here more often than not. I can see how it might be less of an issue in countries with more warmer climates.

Reactions: snovvman
That video came out after I contacted EVOffer with my concerns about how quickly my original battery failed. I think I was one of those "lot of people" he mentioned at the start :)

Lol you forced them into making a video!

The biggest problem with these kits is the latch motor, in my opinion. The part they supply is clearly a generic one, as it's a very weird shape that looks like it's designed to fit inside or into something else. It clearly isn't meant to be exposed to the elements, though, and I think in retrospect it is pretty bad that EVOffer (and probably Hansshow as well) don't either provide something that is waterproof, or tell customers to seal up the latch motor themselves. Their recommendation is simply to install it wherever you can around the front of the car, cable tied to something.

I agree with you about the motor and its shape. The whole thing is awkward and worse, there are many unmitigated water incursion points.

I can't speak for the Y but the frunk on the 3 isn't a particularly well sealed thing. The frunk shell sits on runners that just locate it in place, but there is more than enough space for moisture to find a way inside. Whenever I have removed my frunk shell to do work inside - usually replacing these damn latch motors - there has been little pools of water in places down towards the front of the car. WIth the second latch motor I went out of my way to install it well out of the way of any of this, but it didn't make any difference.

The Y is the same. There is a big hole where the latch is. I can totally see during wash or rain that water can drain down the latch, which might lead to water dripping down the cable and into the motor.

Reactions: Durzel
The prudent thing to do I think is the slather the whole thing in silicone sealant and/or put it in a watertight enclosure (a bag might work but I'd have concerns).

Ironically I actually bought a enclosure to stick the third latch motor in, figuring corrosion was probably the cause of my issues, but my second 12v battery crapping out was the final straw. It is as things stand being replaced for free again under warranty - if the ranger saw the auto frunk kit connected to the battery then they would probably have every right to deny warranty service, as it's a non-OEM parasitic drain. It was pointed out to me by the ranger that they ought not honour the warranty on it the first time it was replaced.

As much as I really liked having an automatic frunk, the trifecta of multiple latch motor failures, multiple 12v battery failures and a high risk of the emergency release not actually working when I needed it to - I don't need the stress to be honest. :(

I don't blame you.

I've had my EVoffer auto frunk for a couple years. I've only had one "issue" and I hesitate on calling it an issue... I was at the beach and it was really windy, the wind was pushing on the open hood and it wouldn't close. I helped it overcome the air pressure with my hands and it was fine.

That said, I will never keep anything I absolutely need in the frunk, so charging cables/ adapters all go in the sub trunk. If I had as many issues as you, I understand not wanting it at all though. I like it for take-out. Keeps the car from smelling like food.

I've been meaning to run some low gauge wire from the battery terminals to the tow hook area in case I lose the 12V, but I've been too lazy.