Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla integrated with the new "MyQ" type of interface available with the newer openers, they'd have more control over the doors. The car would be able to detect if the door is already open or close - and would know if a command was needed to open or close the door.

As mentioned above, this is available today through a smartphone app for the newer garage door openers - and would be accessible via the Internet - not the short range garage door opener signal.

HOWEVER... This also means that your car would be able to open and close your garage door from ANYWHERE, creating a serious potential security problem...

If Tesla integrated with the new "MyQ" type of interface available with the newer openers, they'd have more control over the doors. The car would be able to detect if the door is already open or close - and would know if a command was needed to open or close the door.

As mentioned above, this is available today through a smartphone app for the newer garage door openers - and would be accessible via the Internet - not the short range garage door opener signal.

HOWEVER... This also means that your car would be able to open and close your garage door from ANYWHERE, creating a serious potential security problem...
I don't want that "MyQ" stuff. Not spending more money on my garage opener. My auto-open and auto-close works perfectly.

I don't want that "MyQ" stuff. Not spending more money on my garage opener. My auto-open and auto-close works perfectly.
Yes, I agree. It's just another nice-to-have, so I hope Telsa Execs don't get that idea for another new thing in their heads right now. I'd much prefer outstanding software DEFECTS be resolved, and basic deficient capabilities (e.g. Nav & Media Player) be brought up to snuff with functionality other mfgrs have had for years -- but Tesla has been lacking since introduction -- before any more new capabilities are introduced.

Ok, finally cracked the "auto close" nut for me I believe...

background: worked once when first updated, though things went awry when I pressed the homelink button manually when "skip" was displayed (pressing button to open garage door to leave). Never in 2 weeks could I get this to work again. Tried all the ideas on here bar the "delete your existing homelink registration and create a new one".

how did I solve this?

Opened garage door using wall switch
- got into car and started it. "Home" (my tag) displayed - no skip or auto closed text on it
- went to settings / homelink
- cleared the auto close checkbox, and then immediately set it again
- put car in reverse, noted homelink details in the settings now said "20ft to auto close and Skip" button
- reversed out of garage and it auto closed. Has worked consistently now for about a week.

I don't know if a sacrificial ritual would have done the same, though this worked for me and I wanted to share in the hope it may work for others.

During this last week of autoclose bliss I've noticed that my usual leaving routine is inflexible: Wall switch to open garage, reverse, auto close happens by end of driveway.

I have also, a couple of times now, noticed that the autoclose only shows when the car is put in reverse, i.e. Start car and "home" displays. Then put car in reverse and "home" now has autoclose distance and skip button.
Amusingly, I'm not brave enough to try opening the door using my car anymore- I actually have gotten out to walk to the wall switch in order to not anger the autoclose gods...

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, finally cracked the "auto close" nut for me I believe...

background: worked once when first updated, though things went awry when I pressed the homelink button manually when "skip" was displayed (pressing button to open garage door to leave). Never in 2 weeks could I get this to work again. Tried all the ideas on here bar the "delete your existing homelink registration and create a new one".

how did I solve this?

Opened garage door using wall switch
- got into car and started it. "Home" (my tag) displayed - no skip or auto closed text on it
- went to settings / homelink
- cleared the auto close checkbox, and then immediately set it again
- put car in reverse, noted homelink details in the settings now said "20ft to auto close and Skip" button
- reversed out of garage and it auto closed. Has worked consistently now for about a week.

I think you did. Pressing the skip button asked the computer to cancel this location. Unfortunately, it remembers that action for all succeeding attempts!

Clearing and resetting the auto-close setting must have fixed it.

Amusingly, I'm not brave enough to try opening the door using my car anymore- I actually have gotten out to walk to the wall switch in order to not anger the autoclose gods...
My garage door wall switch is just beside the connecting door from the house into the garage, so it is very convenient and natural for me to use the wall switch. The wall switch is a low voltage wiring, you may want to consider adding a second switch in a more convenient location for your daily routine.
But if you are brave, you can try pressing the car homelink button to open the garage door (to exit) provided you do this without ever stepping on the brake and have the car in drive or reverse. Once the door is open, you can move the car out of the garage and the auto-close should work as intended.

Since Canadians don't have the summon yet, I find the auto-open and auto-close to be the most useful update for v7.1. AS in v7.1 is worse than v7.0 for me.

Last edited:
I really do believe there is a bug between Summon and Auto Homelink.

Configuration:
- I have two garage doors, each with LiftMaster openers (with roving codes) -- left and right
- My MS parks on the right
- Manual use of Homelink in the MS works perfectly with both doors
- Once 7.1 was installed, I checked Homelink Auto Open and Auto Close on only the right door; The left garage door is unchecked; No other reprogramming was done

Scenario 1 (Manual):
- I use my normal garage door opener or the MS Homelink Dropdown to open the right door where my MS is parked
- Backing out of my garage, the right door countdown begins, and closes as it should
- Arriving back to my garage, the right door countdown begins, and then opens as it should for me to pull in
- Perfect. I love it.

Scenario 2 (Summon):
- I use my normal garage door opener (not in MS) to open the right door where my MS is parked
- I use Summon via FOB to back MS into the driveway, and the FOB lock button to STOP it (driveway is less than 39')
- I use Summon via FOB to pull MS back into the garage
- MS stops itself, AND opens the left garage door (which is not auto-open/close-enabled on the 17" Homelink settings menu). The right door remains up.

The process is 100% repeatable. IMHO it's a certain bug with Summon and Auto Homelink, as no Homelink door should open or close if the auto buttons are not checked in the menu. (...and sorry if this is a repeat -- having a hard time keeping up with multiple Homelink/Summon threads and similar subjects across them all)
Canadians don't have summon yet, so the following is purely a conjecture on my part.
S does not know which garage you park if you program two doors. Does it assume the first door that get programmed to homelink is the default for summon, regardless of whether it is auto-close/auto-open enable?
What if you experiment with the following;
1. delete the left door homelink, then
2. use the summon and see if it just works on the right door.
3. Thereafter, reprogram your left door as your second homelink.

Last edited:
Canadians don't have summon yet, so the following is purely a conjecture on my part.
S does not know which garage you park if you program two doors. Does it assume the first door that get programmed to homelink is the default for summon, regardless of whether it is auto-close/auto-open enable?
Thx. I'm honestly afraid to experiment, as I don't really care about Summon except as a gimmick to show-off, and Homelink otherwise works perfectly for me -- so I don't want to accidentally mess it up and get into troubles others are having. I've got this problem on my list to officially report to Tesla on my next SC visit (hopefully not for a few months) if it's not resolved by then.

I have MyQ and it works well. Nice to be able to check to see if my garage door is open or closed from anywhere on my phone. Also close it if necessary.

Opens wrong door

I really do believe there is a bug between Summon and Auto Homelink.[/QUOTE said:
Hello @BertL, your problem where the MS opens the wrong door is somewhat similar to mine - see my new thread "Bug in HomeLink firmware".

But setting aside Summon and Auto Open/Close, do your correct doors actuate with pressing the associated HomeLink icon? With mine, even though both doors seemed to separately program correctly, the MS only sends out the signal/code for the first door.

For those of you where auto-open always works, but auto-close doesn't show up (no count-down):

Be sure to fasten your seat belt before putting the car in reverse. My procedure has always been to back out of the garage into the back allay, and then fastening my seat belt before putting it in drive. My auto-close never worked.

I've only tried it a few times so far, but putting my seat belt on before engaging reverse has auto-close working consistently.

I guess it makes a certain amount of sense. If the seat belt is not on, it assumes I'm just moving the car around and I'm not intending to leave, so it won't close the door. Or something.

I've noticed if you have three birds in the tree outside of your garage, it won't work. My suggestion is to go out of your garage and clap loudly to scare the birds from nearby trees. Works every time.

In all seriousness, this thread reminds me of gardening forums where lore prevails. Something works for one person (or seems to) and it doesn't for another. "Rub cayenne pepper on your lettuce!"

Funny stuff.

Couldn't someone just rename the Homelink entries into a different order? Or did I just happen to program my 3 in alphabetical order without trying to do so explicitly?

- - - Updated - - -

For those of you where auto-open always works, but auto-close doesn't show up (no count-down):

Be sure to fasten your seat belt before putting the car in reverse. My procedure has always been to back out of the garage into the back allay, and then fastening my seat belt before putting it in drive. My auto-close never worked.

I've only tried it a few times so far, but putting my seat belt on before engaging reverse has auto-close working consistently.

I guess it makes a certain amount of sense. If the seat belt is not on, it assumes I'm just moving the car around and I'm not intending to leave, so it won't close the door. Or something.

I hadn't thought of that. I always put my seat belt on before I put it in gear, but I know many people do not exhibit this same behavior. So when I put my car in Drive to pull out of the garage, my seat belt was always on and I always got the countdown. Good thought!

This thought never cross my mind. I guess my good habit is rewarded by Tesla auto-close working consistently without me knowing. :biggrin:

Hello @BertL, your problem where the MS opens the wrong door is somewhat similar to mine - see my new thread "Bug in HomeLink firmware".

But setting aside Summon and Auto Open/Close, do your correct doors actuate with pressing the associated HomeLink icon? With mine, even though both doors seemed to separately program correctly, the MS only sends out the signal/code for the first door.
Yes, I just went out and quadruple-checked. Each of my correct doors open/close when I manually touch their Homelink icon.

I've noticed if you have three birds in the tree outside of your garage, it won't work. My suggestion is to go out of your garage and clap loudly to scare the birds from nearby trees. Works every time.

In all seriousness, this thread reminds me of gardening forums where lore prevails. Something works for one person (or seems to) and it doesn't for another. "Rub cayenne pepper on your lettuce!"

Funny stuff.

I did proffer this may be the case.

appears there are two potential buglets:
1) when autoclose is skipped, the homelink autoclose option is implicitly cleared. I say implicit as when looking in settings this is not cleared, though clearing manually and resetting it works for dome of us.
1.5) there is a "feature" where seat belt is required before autoclose is offered in reverse gear
2) multiple homelink doors confuses the summon command. This makes some sense as it is likely minimally tested. BertL has good repro steps.

any, independent and brave, soul with an existing working system want to reporoduce this? No ritual sacrifices required ;-)

I'm pre-AP so no summon for me.

Some were saying they get the countdown if they wait between turning the car on and putting it in reverse. I tried that last night, but no go. I'm thinking this must be a SW bug that hits certain cars and the only thing I can do is wait for new SW.
I have an early VIN car as well, had a week of sucess with the Auto-Opening/Closing of both my garage door and the gate. Then today she just decided to get cranky. Stopped working. I reset GPS location for both, and it now seems to work. But I don't understand why it worked for a week+ then just stopped working. Sounds like SW to me, as well.

The strange thing for me is the auto close countdown works but when it gets to auto close it does not close. Auto open works fine.

I think you did. Pressing the skip button asked the computer to cancel this location. Unfortunately, it remembers that action for all succeeding attempts!

Clearing and resetting the auto-close setting must have fixed it.

I did proffer this may be the case.

appears there are two potential buglets:
1) when autoclose is skipped, the homelink autoclose option is implicitly cleared. I say implicit as when looking in settings this is not cleared, though clearing manually and resetting it works for dome of us.

Clearly the "Skip" is intended to be used when you need to bypass the automatic opening or closing on a case by case basis. There is no chance (Soolim) that Tesla intended "Skip" to negate the autoclose setting that is set elsewhere. If somehow the software has a bug that is doing this, that's a different story, but it isn't what the programmers intended.

Clearly the "Skip" is intended to be used when you need to bypass the automatic opening or closing on a case by case basis. There is no chance (Soolim) that Tesla intended "Skip" to negate the autoclose setting that is set elsewhere. If somehow the software has a bug that is doing this, that's a different story, but it isn't what the programmers intended.

want to (dis)prove it's a bug Andy? ;-)

What is intended and what actually happens but not intended =? Bug