Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lane change concern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have experience a sudden lane change in my model X. When on Auto Pilot and wanted to try the lane change, as soon as I push up or down the blinker, the car would change the lane in a flash. Is it normal? Should not it take a more gentle shift to the lane I wanted to go? It is so sudden, that every time, I try this, my wife thought, I was falling to sleep.!!!!

That's what it does. It's continiously monitoring the lanes around you; it doesn't have to check that they're clear because it already knows. So as soon as you hit the signal, it goes.

I've found that the X is more aggressive in making lane changes than the S, though. Both have a slight delay, likely just for humans being comfortable with the technology and to signal surrounding drivers, but yeah, it just goes with confidence.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
I have experience a sudden lane change in my model X. When on Auto Pilot and wanted to try the lane change, as soon as I push up or down the blinker, the car would change the lane in a flash. Is it normal? Should not it take a more gentle shift to the lane I wanted to go? It is so sudden, that every time, I try this, my wife thought, I was falling to sleep.!!!!
On my Model S, my wife, as passenger, thinks the AP lane change is too abrupt. I don't notice any problem.

That's what it does. It's continiously monitoring the lanes around you; it doesn't have to check that they're clear because it already knows. So as soon as you hit the signal, it goes.

I've found that the X is more aggressive in making lane changes than the S, though. Both have a slight delay, likely just for humans being comfortable with the technology and to signal surrounding drivers, but yeah, it just goes with confidence.
I too, was in an impression that it is checking continuously the surrounding vehicle. But it is not true all the time. I had a close close, when I passed one car on my right and after overtaking about 15 ft, I command to go back in the same lane that car was. I was thinking that the car was too close, so Model X would go bit further and then lane change would happen. But as soon as, I press the blinker, the car went into the same Lane, just feets ahead of that car. It was bit scary. I wish, It gives more distance before changing the lanes in those situations. Well!! I learnt now. But hope the software update make this more refined and safer in future...

AP doesn't have emotion, fear or bad judgement.
It knows better than humans.
It knows that there is space and time and makes the move.
Doesn't second guess itself, doesn't take an overly conservative approach, it is: analyze, act.

I too, was in an impression that it is checking continuously the surrounding vehicle. But it is not true all the time. I had a close close, when I passed one car on my right and after overtaking about 15 ft, I command to go back in the same lane that car was. I was thinking that the car was too close, so Model X would go bit further and then lane change would happen. But as soon as, I press the blinker, the car went into the same Lane, just feets ahead of that car. It was bit scary. I wish, It gives more distance before changing the lanes in those situations. Well!! I learnt now. But hope the software update make this more refined and safer in future...
It only has the sonar sensors to check for vehicles in the adjacent lane. Their range is about 16 feet. So you always need to look before changing lanes.

My Model X used to switch lanes too fast and abruptly. However, there was a firmware update a couple cycles ago that improved it to where it's about what I would do myself. The same firmware also reduced the amount of force required on the steering wheel to cancel Auto Steering. Both of these changes were much appreciated by my wife.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad