Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-Lane Change in Version 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kind of wanted to split this off the V8 megathread. I haven't had an AP car for long but I noticed in 7.1 on my car and on a previous P90D loaner that auto lane change only worked about 50% of the time. It was so inconsistent that I didn't bother using it.

I haven't noticed the drastic improvements in AP that others with AP have but what I have noticed is that auto lane change finally works consistently. On a 50 mile drive today I used it probably 30 times without issue. Not only that but if I'm changing from a lane with no car in front of me to a lane with a slower moving car in front of me, the moment I hit the turn signal the car slows down to accommodate for the slower moving car in that lane and then moves over.

This seems like a huge improvement in functionality all around for me. Has anyone else noticed this?

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Are there a lot of cars out there today with AP 8.0? I'm picking up my S75 tomorrow morning and told it probably will not have 8.0 for a couple weeks. We'll see I guess.

I'm not entirely sure. It's historically gone from coast to coast and sometimes hits AP cars before classic cars. It seemed to be somewhat of a mishmosh this time around. My AP car got it Monday I want to say and then my classic got it yesterday. I suspect everyone will have it sooner than a few weeks from now.

I just got it Tuesday night.

I've noticed it tracks the lane markers much better and doesn't want to follow the car in front if it's switching lanes in bumper to bumper traffic.

All in all a much more polished experience.

See I haven't had AutoPilot long enough to know it ever tried following the car in front of you from lane to lane. But it's good to know that's a problem I won't have. :)

I'm not entirely sure. It's historically gone from coast to coast and sometimes hits AP cars before classic cars. It seemed to be somewhat of a mishmosh this time around. My AP car got it Monday I want to say and then my classic got it yesterday. I suspect everyone will have it sooner than a few weeks from now.

See I haven't had AutoPilot long enough to know it ever tried following the car in front of you from lane to lane. But it's good to know that's a problem I won't have. :)

Yeah I think it has to do with how well it's tracking the lane markings. If it's too close to the car in front, and doesn't have a good view of any markers (here in San Diego you get a lot of cat-eyes instead of painted stripes), it used to just play follow the leader. Not sure if it's the radar allowing it to track other cars as well, high res gps maps, or just better marker detection but that seems to be very much diminished.

I drive on more open roads then people in California, 7.1 lane change has worked great for me. I have messed up, and not left the blinker on long enough, it didn't love changing in turns, but I was happy with it. I have driven long periods, on AP, passing with the turn signal. Just took the 8.0 update last night, haven't tried autopilot yet.

I'm a little surprised the OP didn't like it.

Just picked up my S75. It has AP 8.0. What a car. I might have to cancel my M3 reservation.......

I cancelled mine after two weeks of ownership of my MS. Girlfriend made a great point... "You know you aren't going to downgrade from an $80,000 car to a $30,000 car." I figured either she's right, or I'll have time for them to work out the kinks on the M3 and order one later.

I drive on more open roads then people in California, 7.1 lane change has worked great for me. I have messed up, and not left the blinker on long enough, it didn't love changing in turns, but I was happy with it. I have driven long periods, on AP, passing with the turn signal. Just took the 8.0 update last night, haven't tried autopilot yet.

I'm a little surprised the OP didn't like it.

I think you misunderstood my post. I love AP but found auto lane change to be all but useless in 7.1. If it works anything less than say 80% of the time than I can't depend on it and I just won't use it. I'll ether stay in my lane or I'll override Autopilot, change lanes and then re-enable it. And to be clear, which I wasn't originally, I consider it a failure when the lane is clear and I have to have the turn signal on for 10 - 15 seconds before it decides to start moving to that lane.

With the 8.0 upgrade I'm finding that it's working every time, immediately and as soon as I make the indication it slows me down to match pace with the car in that next lane which is something it very well might have done in 7.1 but since auto lane changing didn't work for me much in 7.1, I never used it and thus may have never noticed that functionality. It's nice to see the car anticipating the speed of the car in the next lane and matching that speed before it enters the lane versus just moving over and then being surprised and having to slow down.

Personally, I find the lane change a little too abrupt. Currently driving cross-country country, and on mostly empty Interstates, after passing a vehicle and moving back to the right lane at 75-80 mph, it is almost making the tires squeal as it cuts the wheel over.

I still use it, but I wince each time.

I think you misunderstood my post. I love AP but found auto lane change to be all but useless in 7.1. If it works anything less than say 80% of the time than I can't depend on it and I just won't use it. I'll ether stay in my lane or I'll override Autopilot, change lanes and then re-enable it. And to be clear, which I wasn't originally, I consider it a failure when the lane is clear and I have to have the turn signal on for 10 - 15 seconds before it decides to start moving to that lane.

With the 8.0 upgrade I'm finding that it's working every time, immediately and as soon as I make the indication it slows me down to match pace with the car in that next lane which is something it very well might have done in 7.1 but since auto lane changing didn't work for me much in 7.1, I never used it and thus may have never noticed that functionality. It's nice to see the car anticipating the speed of the car in the next lane and matching that speed before it enters the lane versus just moving over and then being surprised and having to slow down.
I didn't misunderstand at all, it didn't work that way for me. Our experiences were very different and I'm surprised. I'm glad you are happier with 8.0, your description is how 7.1 worked for me.