Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lane change inhibited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LukeT

Apr 9, 2019
UK
Picked up my car today (MS Long range). So exciting...

I was warned that autopilot could take up to 100 miles or maybe more to calibrate, so I was pleasantly surprised that it came available after only 20 or so of nose to tail Birmingham end of the day traffic. However, auto lane change doesn't work at all. The car says that auto lane change is inhibited. This is in all instances on both sides of the car, tried many times on motorways with no traffic nearby.

Anyone else had this happen? Is it a common issue or even a failure on my part to get some settings right?

Or I wonder whether it's a calibration issue? Now up to about 80 miles but I'm not aware of any further calibration having happened.

Car has FSD.

A few issues re paint and panels flagged so it'll be interesting to see how they're dealt with but experience of others here makes me pretty relaxed on that. I think/hope they're all pretty minor.

As an aside, I cycled the 55 miles to get the car (it just felt wrong for someone else to drive that both ways in an ICE to fetch an EV and I made a nice ride of it, took the canal towpath nearly all the way in from the Warwickshire countryside) and asked them to put some old boxes aside to protect the boot when the bike went in. They were very obliging with my silly request!

Welcome to the club!

Unfortunately NoA is very poor in the uk at present and lots of people get this issue.

I am sure it will go away (and then probably come back) over the next few revisions. It’s still ‘beta’ though and UK roads are harder to navigate than US roads.

Doesn’t matter though as the rest of the car is amazing!

Might it be this:

“Additionally,” Tesla writes, “to initiate Auto Lane Change, the turn signal must be engaged to the first detent (held partially up or down) and the lane change must start within 5 seconds of engaging the turn signal.”

From here:
Tesla Autopilot update dilutes features for some owners

I was probably always going the full indicator click, which I assume is the "second detent". I'd be surprised though if a partial hold did it and a full click didn't. Pretty sure the demo car I had didn't do that.

Might it be this:

From here:
Tesla Autopilot update dilutes features for some owners

I was probably always going the full indicator click, which I assume is the "second detent". I'd be surprised though if a partial hold did it and a full click didn't. Pretty sure the demo car I had didn't do that.

Duh.

I'm a numpty. Forgot about this on my quick test earlier. It's fine, assuming it's normal for auto lane change to be on the light tap only.