Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lane change on FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys

Been going out for random drives to try out the FSD. All the autopilot settings are turned on and i still can't get the auto lane change to work?

I tried with navigation on and without it on. tried a half press on the indicator or a full press. still nothing?

any ideas?

interesting. and i assume it only suggests it when autopilot on navigation is on?

No, it works as I described above with nav on or off.
IIRC, you can also 'request' lane change by half (or maybe full as well - haven't tried) pushing the stalk, then about 3 clicks later, the car moves lane if safe to do so.

With Nav on, it will indicate and take the exit lane as well - albeit a bit lumpily.

Letting it auto-take exits is a whole new level of terror. You'll get no real idea what it's planning, then once it's at the start of the exit it will indicate and turn immediately. Then a few seconds later it'll get upset if there aren't enough lane markings and drive like its drunk from side to side, sometimes accelerating as it does.

It certainly makes you feel alive.

Using NoA on the road is fine, it's mainly a lane change reminder. It is better than me at predicting when to change lanes to avoid slower traffic. You still flick the indicator and provide some pressure on the wheel and it will do the rest.

You can tell which Tesla dont have FSD as they are just sat in the middle lane,

interesting stuff guys. appreciate your help. yeah it doesn't seem to work on the north circular or the a40. Suppose its no biggy but it does make me feel maybe I was too quick to spurge on the FSD as it doesn't seem to be worth the money in the UK...

interesting stuff guys. appreciate your help. yeah it doesn't seem to work on the north circular or the a40. Suppose its no biggy but it does make me feel maybe I was too quick to spurge on the FSD as it doesn't seem to be worth the money in the UK...

what map version are you on? Needs 2019.21
I take it your just getting normal 2 blue lines
That said those roads might not be mapped for lane change yet. Surprising though.

Full auto lane change only works in USA, in Europe is not allowed by law.
You need to confirm lane changes even when in NoA.

In Germany you will not have fully automatic lane changes any time soon, for the simple reason that there is no speed limit on most of the autobahn freeways. On suitable stretches of the autobahn it is quite common to have somebody approach from behind at 200 km/h (124 mph), sometimes at 250 km/h (155 mph), and theoretically at 300 km/h (186 mph) or any other speed.

I don't think the cameras can always reliably detect an approaching car and its speed in time to abort a lane change.

In Germany you will not have fully automatic lane changes any time soon,

I agree - and in Germany, you are doing those speeds legally. In France, some highly agressive local drivers use the autoroutes to 'hop-on and hop-off' over a 20 km stretch. They are well aware of cameras and favourite Gendarme locations so will close up to you at anything up to 190/200kph. Until that is stopped, FSD doesn't stand a chance.