Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lane change on X - blinker doesn't turn off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When AP is enabled on my 2020 Model X and I activate the turn signal, it changes lanes as expected. However, the blinker remains on after the lane change is complete. This doesn't happen on my 2018 Model 3 - it performs the auto-lane change and then the blinker turns off. Why is the behavior different on the Model X? I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this.....

How do you activate the turn signal? If on AP/NOA, you can use a light press/lift of the turn signal stalk or pull towards you on the AP stalk. If just on AP and you want to change lanes, you need to do a LIGHT press/lift of the turn signal stalk. If you do a hard (full) press/lift, it will stay on, as the stalk doesn't "reset" until the steering wheel has completed a certain amount of revolutions.

• Informative
Reactions: dckiwi
How do you activate the turn signal? If on AP/NOA, you can use a light press/lift of the turn signal stalk or pull towards you on the AP stalk. If just on AP and you want to change lanes, you need to do a LIGHT press/lift of the turn signal stalk. If you do a hard (full) press/lift, it will stay on, as the stalk doesn't "reset" until the steering wheel has completed a certain amount of revolutions.

Ah, that was it - thanks! I wonder why this is different than the Model 3......

I get confused too. So the Model 3/Y will start to lane change but won't continue unless you apply a full push of the turn stock. I think the difference is that on the 3/Y, nothing is physical on the turn stock where as on the S/X the turn stock stays in place.

Reactions: dckiwi
I get confused too. So the Model 3/Y will start to lane change but won't continue unless you apply a full push of the turn stock. I think the difference is that on the 3/Y, nothing is physical on the turn stock where as on the S/X the turn stock stays in place.
The S and X are old school, using a traditional mechanical latching turn signal lever. The newer 3 and Y, the “latching” is done in software. The refreshed S and X have no stalks at all. Bringing in touch sensitive buttons on the yoke. My opinion? I think the whole steering yoke and associated controls is just brilliant. I can’t wait!

The S and X are old school, using a traditional mechanical latching turn signal lever. The newer 3 and Y, the “latching” is done in software. The refreshed S and X have no stalks at all. Bringing in touch sensitive buttons on the yoke. My opinion? I think the whole steering yoke and associated controls is just brilliant. I can’t wait!
Don't let THAT word get out about liking the yoke. Some of these Yoke threads is like walking through a porcupine's den. I think this will all work out well with FSD. And with FSD beta, the vehicle initiates the blinker anyway. BTW, I can't wait to experience the Yoke myself.

Don't let THAT word get out about liking the yoke. Some of these Yoke threads is like walking through a porcupine's den. I think this will all work out well with FSD. And with FSD beta, the vehicle initiates the blinker anyway. BTW, I can't wait to experience the Yoke myself.
Clearing the ICD is what I am looking for. I am constantly fiddling with the steering wheel height to see everything I want in view. Some folks want a heads up display, I’ve never owned a vehicle with one, although I’ve rented a few, and the HUD drove me nuts, extremely distracting. The first thing i want to turn off! So next Feb can’t come soon enough, the steering yoke is the feature that topped it for me. I was going to buy a Y, but now have my name on a X.