Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found that mine has done the same a couple of times so I started paying attention more to the dash and the indicators. I found that if the car cannot map the lane you want to go into, it will not auto lane change.

If you look at your dash while AP is on you will see the car maps your lane and in blue it shows how well it can see the lines of your lane. if you pay attention the blue fades in an out based on how well is can see the lanes themselves. Outside of mapping the lane your on, AP also maps the adjacent lanes on both sides. Adjacent lanes show up as dark gray lines to the far left or right of the AP section of the screen. What I found is that if the AP camera cannot map the lane you want to move into it will not allow automatic auto lane change to work.

I a trip the San Diego this weekend I gave it a try and sure enough; if AP could see an map the lane next to me , I could auto change into it. If AP could not see the lane, the car refused to change into it. I think its a security feature so that someone does not mistakenly run the car into a median or off the road.

I don't particularly like the way the lane change UI works. I was lead to believe by the marketing hype that all that was required was a tap on the turn signal lever and it would initiate the turn. Of course, it's the driver's responsibility to make sure that the turn is safe at that point. I thought tapping the turn signal was supposed to mean approximately the same thing as actually turning the steering wheel. But no, I have to HOLD the turn signal for an extended period of time before it even starts to turn. I've always thought the way to make a lane change is to: check that it's OK, signal, wait for three clicks, then move over completing the move in about the same time as the three clicks. If you just tap the turn signal in manual mode it does the three clicks. In auto pilot mode it should do the three clicks then the turn WITHOUT having to hold the lever. If the driver wants to abort at any point he merely has to use the steering wheel.

It's wait for a _minimum_ of 2 seconds. As usual, the 2 seconds is based on human reaction time.

I would strongly argue that it should not work as you propose. Turn signals are used to signal intent to maneuver. They do not mean that you are going to maneuver in 2 seconds.

In my opinion the long hold is a good idea, because
(1) it's a special instruction to the car that you are ready to change lanes as soon as possible
(2) you can abort the automated maneuver without using the steering wheel: if you do it before the maneuver, it's like canceling your turn signal; if you do it shortly after the maneuver has begun, it's like steering back the other way.

It's wait for a _minimum_ of 2 seconds. As usual, the 2 seconds is based on human reaction time.

I would strongly argue that it should not work as you propose. Turn signals are used to signal intent to maneuver. They do not mean that you are going to maneuver in 2 seconds.

In my opinion the long hold is a good idea, because
(1) it's a special instruction to the car that you are ready to change lanes as soon as possible
(2) you can abort the automated maneuver without using the steering wheel: if you do it before the maneuver, it's like canceling your turn signal; if you do it shortly after the maneuver has begun, it's like steering back the other way.

Huh? Two seconds (three blinks) is plenty of time wait before starting the turn after signaling intent. But I would argue that after the three blinks it should continue to blink until the lane change is complete. This is, of course, assuming that the driver has already ascertained that the turn is safe; the signal is really just a backup in case the driver makes a mistake.