Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto park fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I tried the auto park feature. I engaged it 3 times - the first went fine, as expected. The second time I used it, I followed the prompt to put the car in reverse. It raced backwards until I hit the brake. Assuming I'd perhaps done something wrong, as the car and Auto Park are somewhat new to me, I tried again, with extraordinary care. The same thing happened - the car raced backwards, only this time I didn't hit the brake soon enough to avoid a collision with a parked car (luckily minor). I noticed a thread from 2 years ago that had the same experience I did - that seems like a very long time for a bug like this to exist. Anyone else encountering this problem?

It's still in beta and I am not sure there's any improvement with AutoPark.

Since only Sonars are being used for it, we can blame on Sonars. We are still waiting for Cameras to be included in the algorithm and hopefully, AutoPark crashes will be solved.

Thanks for the insight, and I can understand how sonar might be inferior as a sensing device. Still, the acceleration was a little scary and perhaps a problem with a different root cause.

...the acceleration was a little scary and perhaps a problem with a different root cause...

AutoPark is turtle speed so I am not sure how you could experience any significant speed that might do great damage.

If you have Sentry Mode, it might be a good idea to plug in a USB flash to the front port to record such incidence.

You might as well install a dual dash cam with audio to play back such incidence like this.

• Funny
Reactions: goldengate
Yesterday I tried the auto park feature. I engaged it 3 times - the first went fine, as expected. The second time I used it, I followed the prompt to put the car in reverse. It raced backwards until I hit the brake. Assuming I'd perhaps done something wrong, as the car and Auto Park are somewhat new to me, I tried again, with extraordinary care. The same thing happened - the car raced backwards, only this time I didn't hit the brake soon enough to avoid a collision with a parked car (luckily minor). I noticed a thread from 2 years ago that had the same experience I did - that seems like a very long time for a bug like this to exist. Anyone else encountering this problem?
Can you provide more details of the collision?

I use autopark whenever it picks up a spot both parrell and perpendicular and so far it has never hit anything.

I've never had autopark move anything like fast - it's always been at about the same, consistent speed, and certainly not faster than I can monitor where everything is and step in to stop things if needed. And I've only had to do that once, and not because it was going to hit anything, but because it was just closer to one side than I liked.

I can't imagine how it would "race", unless perhaps the OP thought that he had to assist the process with the go pedal or something.

You know you're using autopark when:
  1. You engage it in a seemingly quiet parking area with no traffic (Looked left, looked right, repeat 10x times) just to "try the neat feature out". :)
  2. By the time it aligns the car for the back up routine, you have no less than one other car honking at you, and a crowd of people trying to cross in front/behind your car. :mad:
  3. Just when you (and the cars honking at you) think it's finally over, autopark decides to pull out and straighten the car out one more time. :(

Does the S/X models use cameras with auto park or is the sonar only thing across all lines?

Across all lines. Current turtle speed Autopark and Summon do not need cameras as close proximity sonars are theoretically adequate.

Cameras will be incorporated into the turtle speed in this coming Summon soon (before next year as Early Access Program owners are playing with this feature right now) as your car would follow you just like a dog does and you can wait under a dry covered porch while you summon your car from rainy parking space to come to you.

However, that's summon and I am not sure when cameras will be incorporated into Autopark.

I’ve used auto park dozens of times with my model 3 and it’s always been successful without issue. I’d seriously consider doing a recording as proof and providing it to your SC. It’s my favorite EAP feature by far. Not a gimmick whatsoever.

So this is the first time you post?

I don’t believe you.

Across all lines. Current turtle speed Autopark and Summon do not need cameras as close proximity sonars are theoretically adequate.

Cameras will be incorporated into the turtle speed in this coming Summon soon (before next year as Early Access Program owners are playing with this feature right now) as your car would follow you just like a dog does and you can wait under a dry covered porch while you summon your car from rainy parking space to come to you.

However, that's summon and I am not sure when cameras will be incorporated into Autopark.
"Turtle speed" is an oxymoron!

Can you provide more details of the collision?

I use autopark whenever it picks up a spot both parrell and perpendicular and so far it has never hit anything.

I was in a parking lot with perpendicular parking spaces. I had the parked cars to my right and got the signal when a space appeared. The monitor showed the space (I was several cars past it) as the blue outline about where it ought to be. The rest is as stated - I put the car in reverse when asked and it did the rest. The contact was a scrape that removed some paint but did not cause a dent in either vehicle.

AutoPark is turtle speed so I am not sure how you could experience any significant speed that might do great damage.

If you have Sentry Mode, it might be a good idea to plug in a USB flash to the front port to record such incidence.

You might as well install a dual dash cam with audio to play back such incidence like this.

Probably a good idea