Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto park in parking garage contacted trunk with overhanging ledge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopark backed into a spot in a parking garage. The wall above the height of the top of the trunk was about 6-8 inches (15-20cm) proud of the lower wall. Autopark pulled in so tight that the upper part of the wall was above the trunk with less than an inch clearance. I didn’t realize this and when I stepped out, the suspension raised the car enough to contact the trunk on the concrete wall, chipping the paint.

Honeymoon phase with autopark is over. Anything similar happen to you?

IMG_4165.jpeg

IMG_4160.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: petercc9
This is definitely an edge case, punn intended. The parking structure could help alert users by painting a red stripe or other eye catching warning on the protrusion. I bet this is not the first time this happened in that garage, Tesla or not.

This is definitely an edge case, punn intended. The parking structure could help alert users by painting a red stripe or other eye catching warning on the protrusion. I bet this is not the first time this happened in that garage, Tesla or not.
Yeah, looks like the car behind did pretty much the same thing. Looking straight on, I bet it probably looks like a straight wall, which is probably why it's easy to make such a mistake. Definitely needs something more visible to highlight the edge, or maybe some bump stops.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Does your car have USS? If so, what firmware version is your car on? (i.e. Were you using the old USS based Autopark, or the new Tesla Vision based Autopark?

I can't say as I have ever had it park that close to a wall before. But I certainly wouldn't guess the protrusion was 6-8" from the pictures. It looks more like an inch or two to me.

Does your car have USS? If so, what firmware version is your car on? (i.e. Were you using the old USS based Autopark, or the new Tesla Vision based Autopark?

I can't say as I have ever had it park that close to a wall before. But I certainly wouldn't guess the protrusion was 6-8" from the pictures. It looks more like an inch or two to me.
The first picture it doesn't look that deep, but if you look closely at the second picture, look on the left to see the white wall. It actually is much deeper than it looks from straight on, which pretty much illustrates the problem.

Its a 2024 M3, so no USS

But I certainly wouldn't guess the protrusion was 6-8" from the pictures. It looks more like an inch or two to me.
Here’s another photo where you can see the depth better. Probably not 8”, but much more than 2”.

IMG_4160.jpeg