Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we downloaded the new Beta Software. The auto park worked one time. I’ve tried several other times and it won’t populate. I did a screen reboot. No change
The current versions of auto-park and smart summon don't work well (when they work at all). According to Elon, better versions that do work, based on the occupancy network, may be released in a few months. Best to wait for the working versions IMO especially if you want to avoid dings and dents.

IIUC auto-park will only try to park in a spot that is flanked on each side by a parked car (so it can use the USSs).

Reactions: Joesmoe3
Upvote 0
kind of a bummer since the auto park in my 2010 Prius worked pretty decent. It was a little more hands on (you had to modulate the brake to control the speed), but that was also 13yrs ago. Teslas have no issue controlling their speed.

Not sure why they cant see spaces though. My 2010 had one USS on each side of the front bumper to "look" for spots. (really it was just looking for breaks between cars for parallel parking and line detection with the rear camera for back-ins. You'd tell the car you want to park, parallel or back-in, then it would give you instructions on what to do. Stuff like "drive slowly"... then it would ding and say "put it in reverse". Then it would show you where it was going to park the car and you could adjust it if you wished (you'd RARELY have to adjust it). Once you were happy with it, you'd click "ok" and it would tell you to keep your foot on the brake to control the speed.

What I dont get is how the Tesla cant do that. with a lot less interaction. It should be able to easily do that without a lot of the steps I outlined above. It should recognize a space, you click it to confirm and the rest should be automatic. The Prius did it with 1 USS and a rear camera, the Tesla should be able to do it so much better with all its tech.

Upvote 0
What I dont get is how the Tesla cant do that. with a lot less interaction. It should be able to easily do that without a lot of the steps I outlined above. It should recognize a space, you click it to confirm and the rest should be automatic. The Prius did it with 1 USS and a rear camera, the Tesla should be able to do it so much better with all its tech.
It's a matter of priorities. Elon has said the fate of Tesla depends on them solving FSD. Tesla has made large investments in FSD with things like Dojo and the team of 1,000 human labelers.

While non-FSD software development has not halted, I do expect it to take a 2nd, or 3rd seat. The new, improved, working versions of self parking and smart summon will be built on top of the occupancy network that is part of FSD beta. It may be frustrating for customers but it makes sense for Tesla to avoid wasting effort using non-FSD technology to improve these feature since that work will eventually be thrown away once the occupancy network becomes mature.

There are tons of useful software features I'd like to see. I finally bought S3XY buttons which implement some of them. From what I've seen, I think Tesla is loathe to invest work in creating manual features when they expect to be able to perfect their automatic version. Likewise, they are unlikely to invest in making automatic versions of things that will superseded once FSD is working.

Elon may well be wrong about FSD being solved by the end of this year (as he has been for so many years) but he is sincere in this belief. And this strong belief sets the priorities for other software development. Once you assume FSD will be solved by the end of this year, a lot of Tesla's software development decisions start to make sense.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Joesmoe3 and Thp3
Upvote 0
IIUC auto-park will only try to park in a spot that is flanked on each side by a parked car (so it can use the USSs).
That used to be the case, but no longer (see 4:00 mark).

That vid makes the point that you must be going less than 5 mph and be close to the parking spaces. I bet that explains many failures.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Joesmoe3 and BitJam
Upvote 0
Simple answer - Tesla software is inferior to Toyota's.
Year after year, Tesla over-promises and under-delivers. If in doubt, look up Elon's promises for FSD and robo-taxis from 4+ years ago.

Toyota and Mercedes are the opposite, so ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) things work MUCH better than Tesla's, but those companies don't over-promise the world of robo-taxis. So you don't hear that much about their capabilities.

a

Upvote 0