Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto present door handles for Model 3 now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgive if this has been posted before, but this morning I visited the TeslaOffer web site to order an automatic electric frunk opener for my Model S and discovered that they're now making auto present door handles for the Model 3. They work like those on the Model S, except that the handle swings out in the same manner as it would manually. In other words one can open the doors without pushing and pulling the door handle. It works under the following conditions: when the car is unlocked, when you touch the handle, when the key fob is in range.

I love this innovation, so I ordered a set right away.

I totally agree that the cost is way too high for what it does, probably double what it should be. Another potential issue I see with this modification is how these handles will respond, and what potential damage will be done to them, when the handles freeze up. I live in the northeast and in the winter there are days, even when the car is preheated, that the handles are frozen in and need to be manhandled (no pun intended) a little bit to get them to pop out. If this kit is installed and the handles are frozen in place, how will the motors react? Will the handle not moving outward when the motor engages damage the motor? Has anyone had this modification installed yet?

Too pricy for what it does. Also, the handle on model S was a major failing point after some time I would be very cautious when installing something like this on my model 3. what if it fails can I still manually open the door?

The soft closing door is nice. Do want

The judgement about price is purely subjective. Given what it does I think it's good value, but that's my judgment.

And how does one what the development and manufacturing costs are?

The self-presenting door handles on the Model S are a great feature. I've had my Model S for 6 years and only one has had problems, and it was an easy fix.

Reactions: Destiny1701
My main concern is the reliability of key fob passive activation. According to Tesla Offer, the key fob within passive entry range may not work after the car goes to sleep. That being the case, you would have to click on the key fob, use your key card, or touch the handle. Unless the Auto Present door handles work consistently with passive entry, I am not interested. Develop the device so it is fully reliable, and then I’ll be happy to buy and incorporate the feature. (The soft close doors are a great feature IMO.)

IMHO this looks terrible. A tiny handle on the front
and the back is even more terrible. Basically no handle, you have to pull the door to open between a gap.
No, this is not the way I would like to open a door.
Hey, I agree I don't like too much the tiny handle of the Mach-E for the front door.
I think the rear access is more interesting by hiding the location to pull the door on the outside of the door, however this is not obvious.

My point was that having a self presenting door would be more practical than just a self presenting door handle,
because if you hold something in your hand, you may have to change hand.

For example, when you pick up a front passenger, don't you open the door from the inside for this person to ease the access?

In some countries when you take a Taxi, the driver can open and close the rear door for you.

I would find very practical for a driver to be able to open the rear doors, especially if you have young kids to pick up.

This was a complain for owners of the BMW i3 which has rear suicide door, so if you pick up a kid, you need first to open the front door.

Thinking about future self driving car and robot taxi, I think it would be great to have self presenting doors
that could be open, and close, from the inside, by the driver or automatically, when a passenger is approaching, or leaving, a vehicle.

It seems that the Mustang Mack-E could provide the capability to open and self presenting any door from the inside,
but I don't know if this is implemented, however this would be easy to add as a simple software update.

The Tesla Model S and X have self presenting doors that could be open and closed, but I don't think that the driver can control those directly.

Last edited:
I didnt like the Mustang door handles. But the self presenting door handles or out popping doors, I can understand why you want it. For me it is not needed, but I can see some cases where it would be usefull.

Hey, I agree I don't like too much the tiny handle of the Mach-E for the front door.
I think the rear access is more interesting by hiding the location to pull the door on the outside of the door, however this is not obvious.

My point was that having a self presenting door would be more practical than just a self presenting door handle,
because if you hold something in your hand, you may have to change hand.

For example, when you pick up a front passenger, don't you open the door from the inside for this person to ease the access?

In some countries when you take a Taxi, the driver can open and close the rear door for you.

I would find very practical for a driver to be able to open the rear doors, especially if you have young kids to pick up.

This was a complain for owners of the BMW i3 which has rear suicide door, so if you pick up a kid, you need first to open the front door.

Thinking about future self driving car and robot taxi, I think it would be great to have self presenting doors
that could be open, and close, from the inside, by the driver or automatically, when a passenger is approaching, or leaving, a vehicle.

It seems that the Mustang Mack-E could provide the capability to open and self presenting any door from the inside,
but I don't know if this is implemented, however this would be easy to add as a simple software update.

The Tesla Model S and X have self presenting doors that could be open and closed, but I don't think that the driver can control those directly.