Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Steer is dangerous...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, mode confusion happens easily enough, another reason why hands should always be on the wheel and eyes forward so as not to prang the preciousss.

Unfortunately the lane departure warning [when veering off without indication it weakly vibrates the steering] is of no practical help, as it is imperceptible at highway speeds. An audible warning should be added.

Last edited:
I stopped using it for now mostly because I felt like it was making me a worse driver.

With Autosteer there was:

Lots of "apply force to the steering wheel" messages despite me holding it just fine. This happens regardless if I'm using comfort or sport steering mode. The sensor just isn't sensitive enough. This meant I was subconsciously looking at the screen for those messages, and then applied torque. The only other way was to hold it completely wrong (on the bottom right with the palm facing down).

When taking over when auto-lane change fails it would change my TACC speed setting which was really annoying. So I was that annoying person driving too slowly because I didn't realize the set speed changed. Sure it would be that way for long until I noticed, but it made me bit self conscious.

More false braking with AP on then just TACC. I used TACC completely for a roundtrip between Seattle and Portland with no false braking events except when doing lane changes. When doing lane changes it would sometimes brake for a truck next to the lane I was going into it. That was pretty easy to manage versus AP's false braking of "I felt like it".

With that being said there are some situations where Autosteer flatly works better than I do. The reason is we have some pretty messed up roads where the lane markings are all over the place. Under certain light it looks like there are lanes in the middle of lanes, etc. I've noticed other drivers getting confused.

For whatever reason AP does just fine, and only detects the REAL lines.

So I'm like "fine, You do your little thing.. you show off. But, as soon as I'm back on good road you're going off".

if you think that's funny you should hear my arguments with NoA.

One of these days I'll record it so people really know what it's like to drive a Tesla.