Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-Steer vs Regular Cruise Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought of highlighting some similarities (and one dissimilarity) between Tesla's auto-steering implementation and basic cruise control:

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 7.17.14 PM.png

There are obviously more differences; like Auto-steering can disengage (with warning) when it can't function properly but that's not a negative as far as safety is concerned. Overall they are more similar than dissimilar and I would argue both should be treated equally: from a driver responsibility perspective and road regulations.

A major difference is that auto-steer requires some time to reach the steering wheel to control left or right management vs just stop/slowing.

"some time" varies quite a bit based on where the drive keeps their hands or what they are doing with both of them (ie. one hand holding phone and other hand typing). Example in this dragtimes video where hands are sometimes crossed. The first accidents will be interesting. -- DragTimes Gets Pulled Over As Autopiloted Tesla Model S Goes 15 MPH Over The Limit - Video-

Last edited:
A major difference is that auto-steer requires some time to reach the steering wheel to control left or right management vs just stop/slowing.

"some time" varies quite a bit based on where the drive keeps their hands or what they are doing with both of them (ie. one hand holding phone and other hand typing). Example in this dragtimes video where hands are sometimes crossed. The first accidents will be interesting. -- DragTimes Gets Pulled Over As Autopiloted Tesla Model S Goes 15 MPH Over The Limit - Video-

Why will be a delay when people put their hands on the wheel as asked by Tesla?

People with cruise control will put their feet into very relaxing positions that would require significant time to hit the brakes in an emergency.

Why will be a delay when people put their hands on the wheel as asked by Tesla?

People with cruise control will put their feet into very relaxing positions that would require significant time to hit the brakes in an emergency.
Left or right issues happen much faster (partial seconds) than slowing down (seconds) issue (ie. brake lights give you time). Cars changes lanes because you are in their blind spot as an example. That requires very quickly reaction. Weird that these timing seems so obvious to some but are lost on others. Just got back from a lot (hrs) of highway driving yesterday and had to react a few times to people on left or right.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/b8Voqp6.png
b8Voqp6.png

Last edited:
Why is the Tesla Auto-Steer in red in your chart (danger!) while regular cruise control is in light blue (calm, soothing, safe)?

Red=Danger, Blue=Calm, soothing, safe. Almost sounds like an American political statement. :)

Kidding aside, I've not found local media to be anything but enthused. I've done three interviews in the past couple of days and all of the reporters were really excited. In fact when I pulled up to one station to pick up the reporter doing the story three other reporters who were not working the story asked to ride along and all loved the ride.

Left or right issues happen much faster (partial seconds) than slowing down (seconds) issue (ie. brake lights give you time). Cars changes lanes because you are in their blind spot as an example. That requires very quickly reaction. Weird that these timing seems so obvious to some but are lost on others. Just got back from a lot (hrs) of highway driving yesterday and had to react a few times to people on left or right.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/b8Voqp6.png
View attachment 98440

The autopilot system isn't going to put you in those situations in the first place, unless you are completely oblivious to your surroundings and are using it simultaneously in unsafe conditions.

I'd wager it's much safer than the old TACC and other auto manufacturer adaptive cruise control systems. Speeding forward into a car you didn't know existed 2 seconds ago is much more dangerous than somehow ignoring multiple warnings plus the slow-as-molasses computer-driven steering wheel adjustments. If you haven't noticed, the car can only steer very gradually and slowly.

The autopilot system isn't going to put you in those situations in the first place, unless you are completely oblivious to your surroundings and are using it simultaneously in unsafe conditions.
I'm unclear what you mean. Say for example that are on a normal multi-lane highway with a car in the next lane is slightly ahead of me and I am in their blind spot running auto-pilot. They decide to come over to my lane ... which sometimes happens very quickly and without a turn signal.