Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Windshield Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your wipers go on your headlights should go on automatically, they don’t. This is state law.
Not in my state. The driver is supposed to turn on the headlights whenever the wipers are being used; headlights are not needed at all when wipers are being used intermittently in misting rain, sleet, or snow during the day. State law says zero about headlights coming on automatically when wipers are on. Same for the adjacent state.

Not in my state. The driver is supposed to turn on the headlights whenever the wipers are being used; headlights are not needed at all when wipers are being used intermittently in misting rain, sleet, or snow during the day. State law says zero about headlights coming on automatically when wipers are on. Same for the adjacent state.
18 states require headlights lights on when your windshield wipers are active. Turning on your vehicle's headlights can help other drivers see you not just at night but also during bad weather, whether it be fog, rain, snow, etc.Oct 26, 2020. Here are the states that require headlights on when wipers are on
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Delaware
  • Illinois
  • Kansas
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Massachusetts
  • Missouri
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Virgini

18 states require headlights lights on when your windshield wipers are active. Turning on your vehicle's headlights can help other drivers see you not just at night but also during bad weather, whether it be fog, rain, snow, etc.Oct 26, 2020. Here are the states that require headlights on when wipers are on
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Delaware
  • Illinois
  • Kansas
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Massachusetts
  • Missouri
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Virgini
>>If your wipers go on your headlights should go on automatically, they don’t. This is state law.<<

I'm in Virginia. Please show me where it is required that the headlights turn on "automatically" whenever the wipers are activated in Virginia or any of those other states. According to the Code of Virginia 46.2-1030 the headlights must be on when windshield wipers are in use for rain, fog, sleet or snow, but are not required to be on when the wipers are in intermittent mode in misting rain, sleet or snow. It says absolutely nothing about them coming on automatically when the wipers are on. My point stands.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
>>If your wipers go on your headlights should go on automatically, they don’t. This is state law.<<

I'm in Virginia. Please show me where it is required that the headlights turn on "automatically" whenever the wipers are activated in Virginia or any of those other states. According to the Code of Virginia 46.2-1030 the headlights must be on when windshield wipers are in use for rain, fog, sleet or snow, but are not required to be on when the wipers are in intermittent mode in misting rain, sleet or snow. It says absolutely nothing about them coming on automatically when the wipers are on. My point stan

If the the law says the headlights should be on when the wipers are on why can’t that be fixed in a software release.?
It certainly could, even though there are times when the law says wipers are needed but headlights aren't. I wouldn't have a problem with it. I stopped by a Ford dealer yesterday and asked if their cars' headlights automatically came on when the wipers were activated and the sales person said they didn't. So it's not like Tesla is not doing something that other manufacturers are doing.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I have the opposite problem. They wipe too fast and stay on wiping a clear window long after the rain has stopped. I often turn them off at that point and use the left stalk button if necessary until that annoys me and I turn them back on. Also find the slowest intermittent is too fast when it's just misty out.
Same complaint here. Just doesn’t seem like the auto-mode is speed sensitive at all.

It's still in Beta
From the manual:
"Note
The AUTO setting is currently in BETA. If uncertain about using AUTO while in the BETA phase, Tesla recommends setting the wiper speed to one of the first four positions, as necessary.
Note
If the AUTO setting is selected but becomes unavailable, the wipers change to the manual setting (one of the first four positions) that is closest to the latest determined AUTO wiping frequency. If the latest wiping frequency cannot be determined, the wipers turn off.
Note
For vehicles manufactured after approximately April 27, 2021, Autopilot requires wipers to be set to AUTO. This setting is made automatically and you can not change it."

For vehicles manufactured after approximately April 27, 2021, Autopilot requires wipers to be set to AUTO. This setting is made automatically and you can not change it."

Which is pretty annoying. Doubly so because it's probably a software link, not a hardware link and therefore could be disconnected if necessary

and maybe it will in a future update

Wasn't this the case for auto high beams as well until recently? Enabling Autopilot always turns on auto high beams, but I believe a recent SW update allowed auto high beams to be turned off manually afterwards. It's just that we have to do this over and over every time we engage AP unless there is some way I don't now about to make them stay off.