Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2023 Tesla Y's Windshield Wipers have a mind of their own. It started to operation without rain three times this week, and last time when it was raining, it took a while for the windshield wipers to work.

Did any of you have the same problem as I have? How did you solve it?

Thanks,
Sheila

My 2023 Tesla Y's Windshield Wipers have a mind of their own. It started to operation without rain three times this week, and last time when it was raining, it took a while for the windshield wipers to work.

Thanks,
Sheila
Yep. Those windshield wipers clearly have a kind of their own. It’s very frustrating

Did you have autopilot engaged? All it takes is one bug splatter near the front camera, and the wipers will attempt to clear it with the wipers, thinking that it could be a raindrop.

I’ve been cleaning the windshield more frequently, making sure the camera area is spotless. That seems to reduce the random sweeps of the wipers.

Thanks,
Sheila
Sometimes it will wipe during auto pilot because it thinks something is obstructing the camera view. It's annoying.

Reactions: cenwesi and syao
Musk just posted on Twitter that smart auto wiper software releases in about three weeks. “Actually Smart Summon (ASS)” a month or two after that.

In his previous post he said wipers were among the last functions to go to neural nets, said he was sorry it took so long. Said wipers will go from using single still images to surround video to learn and to function.

Reactions: kpanda17
Musk just posted on Twitter that smart auto wiper software releases in about three weeks. “Actually Smart Summon (ASS)” a month or two after that.

In his previous post he said wipers were among the last functions to go to neural nets, said he was sorry it took so long. Said wipers will go from using single still images to surround video to learn and to function.
Did he mention if this ASS function would also be available for Vision only costumers.

Right now 60% of the advertised features of the NoA package are unavailable for Vision only car owners, but the price is still the same, making it an even worse deal that if it had all of the features

Since you don't like the fix before it's even rolled out, you probably won't be happy with it.
Where did I say I didn’t like it? I’ve seen major improvements with the wiper system over the last 4 years, but I want something that works reliably under all lighting situations like every other car with auto wipers. I’ve had many cars with auto wipers over the last 25 years and they all worked regardless of how light or dark it was outside. If Tesla used actual rain sensors like all others do, they would not need to continually tweak the software. If it works, I will not only like it, I will love it. Maybe scream it from the rooftop and set off fireworks!

Where did I say I didn’t like it? I’ve seen major improvements with the wiper system over the last 4 years, but I want something that works reliably under all lighting situations like every other car with auto wipers. I’ve had many cars with auto wipers over the last 25 years and they all worked regardless of how light or dark it was outside. If Tesla used actual rain sensors like all others do, they would not need to continually tweak the software. If it works, I will not only like it, I will love it. Maybe scream it from the rooftop and set off fireworks!
Before my MY i owned a GM vehicle that had a rain and light sensor.

I can not even begin to tell you how poorly that one was sometimes.

And no, it was not just me having a bad sensor, there were so many complaints on the model specific forum i was a member of, with the exact same complaint.

I had the same brand car before, and it also had the sensor and that sensor worked a lot better, but not perfectly.

So, a dedicated sensor is no guarantee, that everything works just fine.

I think the Tesla is the car i have owned where the rain and light automatics has worked the best. I only got my MY 3 months ago, so i have never experienced the apparantly horrific workings of that feature in the past.

Reactions: Pianewman
Before my MY i owned a GM vehicle that had a rain and light sensor.

I can not even begin to tell you how poorly that one was sometimes.

And no, it was not just me having a bad sensor, there were so many complaints on the model specific forum i was a member of, with the exact same complaint.

I had the same brand car before, and it also had the sensor and that sensor worked a lot better, but not perfectly.

So, a dedicated sensor is no guarantee, that everything works just fine.

I think the Tesla is the car i have owned where the rain and light automatics has worked the best. I only got my MY 3 months ago, so i have never experienced the apparantly horrific workings of that feature in the past.
Unless Tesla releases an update for the wiper soon, the wiper would soon show it's true color to you.

The one car that that I use to own where the wiper worked correctly was my 2002 Lexus ls430.