Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless Tesla releases an update for the wiper soon, the wiper would soon show it's true color to you.

The one car that that I use to own where the wiper worked correctly was my 2002 Lexus ls430.
In what way

They have worked pretty much flawlessly every time it has rained.

Sometimes i have activated them myself because of very light rain on the windscreen, but this is in no way, any different than i have done in previous cars with rain sensor.

until we see the final fix that's on the development list of Neuralnets, inside the Tesla OS, think we recently got a stealth update that has the OFF selection when the wipers go to AUTO during rain and AP/EAP/FSD, at least this is a short term fix as OFF was not selectable before
as for the final fix, Tesla is avoiding a frankenstein vehicle with sensors galore, looking to use advanced code to detect rain and control the wipers perfectly in the OS
we cannot knock the approach as this this is how Tesla OS is so advanced and the number on EV vehicle OS, leading the industry
also makes the code a portable foundation with advanced functions and features usable on the other Tesla vehicles and potentially licensing to other manufacturers as Elon has offered, mo money mo money

I'll be glad if they can improve the auto wipers I don't mind them not coming on a fast as they should as I can push the button and they seem to wake up. What I can't tolerate is coming on when there is no rain or moisture; It happens way too frequently. I can understand some of the issues like when I park near a tree that gets sap on the windshield; the sap drops look like rain mist. However other times the windshield is clean. I don't want to have my windshield scratched so now I keep my wipers set to off and don't use AP since it sets the wipers to auto. Personally I miss not having mechanical controls for this important safety function.

The "auto" wipers on the MY are a sad topic, borderline embarrassing when you have passengers in the car, trying to explain why the wipers come on when there's blue skies and the sun beating down, or when there is a terrestrial downpour and the wipers decide they don't feel like working at that time.
Imo, this is a safety issue. One would think Tesla has to address this ...

”Set wipers to (n)” works for me in my 2018 Model 3. Most of the time. When I’m in an area with decent cellular coverage. And the moon is in the 7th house, etc., etc.
thanks. this seems like the best workaround. I have to say though, I'm pretty disappointed that Tesla has such a poor implementation of this when our Toyotas (and likely most other brands) do it so reliably.

Except that the only available manual speeds are too fast, way too fast, and "are you kidding me". Other than pushing the button once a minute there's no way to get reasonable behavior in light mist or road spray. How hard would it be to have an adjustable intermittent wiper setting?
Obviously an adjustable intermittent wiper setting is not hard at all. Why not? Because it’s a part of every non-Tesla automatic wiper system today and has been for at least a few decades. So yeah, not hard. BUT: can it be done with camera input? Er, sure, but either much harder, not a priority, or the more likely “we’ve given you what you need now just go away” thinking extant.

Obviously an adjustable intermittent wiper setting is not hard at all. Why not? Because it’s a part of every non-Tesla automatic wiper system today and has been for at least a few decades. So yeah, not hard. BUT: can it be done with camera input? Er, sure, but either much harder, not a priority, or the more likely “we’ve given you what you need now just go away” thinking extant.
An adjustable intermittent setting would have nothing to do with the cameras, right? Just an addition manual setting would be nice at this point ....

Last edited:
Except that the only available manual speeds are too fast, way too fast, and "are you kidding me". Other than pushing the button once a minute there's no way to get reasonable behavior in light mist or road spray. How hard would it be to have an adjustable intermittent wiper setting?
My wifes car is a petrol GM.

There you can set the intermittend wiper speed pretty easily.

If you press the stalk down it will do a single wipe.

If you press down, wait until it needs another wipe and then do one click up, the wiper speed will be set to intermittend and the interval will be whatever time between the down and up wiper stalk motion.

Pretty simple and works nice.

Reactions: flixden
An adjustable intermittent setting would have nothing to do with the cameras, right?
Maybe, and probably should be that way. But that’s an admission that the camera inputs and processing cannot do everything needed to feed the FSD engine properly. No one at Tesla is likely to admit that. Frankly, I’m surprised that there are manual settings at all after TV’s debut.
Just an addition manual setting would be nice at this point ....
And there’s the rub: “manual settings” are not in Tesla’s playbook when it comes to driving the car.