Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers are awful

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I'm on this topic, all (almost all?) other implementations provide the driver with a control (often on the wiper stalk) to fine tune the sensitivity of the automatic wiper system. Tesla obviously think they can do the job so well that this isn't needed. Well, it clearly is, so lets have a draggable control on the wipers pane to let us adjust the sensitivity of the system. There could even be a second control to adjust the rate at which the wipers vary with road speed. And then Tesla could collect the adjustments made by people and use them as inputs to the AI learning, keeping them happy.

Not the best by far but not consistently. Some days they are great (ok.. good then) ...others not. I do like living life on edge, not in the hedge Mr. Musk.

If Your life is somewhat a wee bit boring, they are sure to give you a bit of excitement.... I sometimes let them do their thing and see how far I can go without them coming on (finger hovers over the button) or turn them off if they unnecessarily keep going for no reason.

The Mrs, however does not complain with hers which leads me to assume that I must also be bad from time to time as to keep the "thing" going.

There is only one sure thing on this and the Teslaverse as a whole and that is... controversy.

They really are far inferior to any other car i've driven. Especially, as the OP says, when washing the windows. They basically don't know when to stop and end up starting to smudge whatever it was you were trying to clear off. Also at least twice on my long road trip they came on for no reason whatsoever.

Yes, Yes Tesla, it's all very clever using a "neural net" to detect rain instead of an IR sensor like everyone else. However, IR sensors work, your system simply doesn't. To be kind, the one place it does work when an IR sensor doesn't is when you first get in a car that has water already on the windscreen. I always had to do a single press of the wipers on my other cars to seemingly wake up the sensor. Other than that though, they were flawless and this isn't
Thanks, I was wondering why it's so bad at detecting rain. We get a lot of it here in the Pacific NW!

Reactions: Neilio
I agree that the auto wipers work poorly. As I understand it, they're using visible light into the front-facing camera to detect rain drops. My experience has been that, when it's dark and cloudy during a storm is when the auto wipers perform worst.

A traditional rain sensor uses its own infrared light to detect rain drops. The choice of Tesla to try to do this with visible light from outside using a neural network to detect the rain drops seems to have been a bad design decision that just doesn't work in low light conditions.
I believe the traditional rain sensor is UV and not IR.

They are woeful. They really need to put a control on the indicator stalk for the M3 the same way the MS has it. I have a MS as a courtesy car at the moment and it makes it so much easier to deal with the terrible sensing abilities.
It really is one thing that would make me think twice about buying another M3 when my lease is up in 12 months....

Reactions: roadcred
They are woeful. They really need to put a control on the indicator stalk for the M3 the same way the MS has it. I have a MS as a courtesy car at the moment and it makes it so much easier to deal with the terrible sensing abilities.
It really is one thing that would make me think twice about buying another M3 when my lease is up in 12 months....
Not the new Model S / X, as they got rid of all the stalks... even for the indicators. Plus you get the wonderful yoke, which will be absolutely fine when you need to make an emergency manoeuvre ;)

The car was designed in California. I am sure the controls are adequate there..."It never rains in Southern California"
Tesla are masters in inventing solutions to non existent problems!

AutoWipers, AutoHeadlamps and standing water are a match made in hell.

I regularly drive on unlit rural roads. Hit any amount of standing water coming into a turn and you get:
  1. A huge amount of water thrown up ointo the windscreen (I've never driven a car that throws so much water up onto the windscreen).
  2. The wipers will invariably stop
  3. The headlamps will dip (confused yet *again* by reflective signs warning of the corner).
So, just when you need fast wipers, headlamps and visibility Tesla delivers bugger all.

Reactions: Durzel and goRt
Compared to the previous cars with the Auto wipers, they work better in the tesla. Not perfect either.
I dread to think what cars you’ve previously owned for that to be true. I can’t recall ever owning a car with worse, if they were it wasn’t memorable, maybe because they were so easy to adjust using a stalk. On BMWs we’ve owned you could adjust the sensitivity easily if needed which was also really useful.

I dread to think what cars you’ve previously owned for that to be true. I can’t recall ever owning a car with worse, if they were it wasn’t memorable, maybe because they were so easy to adjust using a stalk. On BMWs we’ve owned you could adjust the sensitivity easily if needed which was also really useful.
Toyota, a common problem with the clear adhesive pad that attaches the camera to the windscreen. Couldn't get them to sort it out under warranty.

AutoWipers, AutoHeadlamps and standing water are a match made in hell.

I regularly drive on unlit rural roads. Hit any amount of standing water coming into a turn and you get:
  1. A huge amount of water thrown up ointo the windscreen (I've never driven a car that throws so much water up onto the windscreen).
  2. The wipers will invariably stop
  3. The headlamps will dip (confused yet *again* by reflective signs warning of the corner).
So, just when you need fast wipers, headlamps and visibility Tesla delivers bugger all.

and this is still the case... I picked up my Model 3 in Aug 20th and last night was the first real rain I drove through and it was just painful - ended up switching to manual but I think about my partner who's not into tech stuff and would have a really *sugar* time touching the screen to turn the wipers on manually - in fact I think it'd be one of the reasons for him to refuse to drive it

I must be a very rare case then because I've never had a major problem with mine. Only minor blip is they can take a second or two to come on, especially if setting off and it's raining already. I just give the stalk button a press.

After that I forget about them and they do a good enough job for me. I've never had to go into the settings and manually change anything. Maybe the odd push, can't really recall it's that rare🤷‍♂️

Wife also has no problem with auto high beam. I don't use, never have as my last couple of German motors were slower than I would have liked so prefer to do some of the work myself for the sake of others.

Reactions: Yachtsman and init6
I must be a very rare case then because I've never had a major problem with mine. Only minor blip is they can take a second or two to come on, especially if setting off and it's raining already. I just give the stalk button a press.

After that I forget about them and they do a good enough job for me. I've never had to go into the settings and manually change anything. Maybe the odd push, can't really recall it's that rare🤷‍♂️

Wife also has no problem with auto high beam. I don't use, never have as my last couple of German motors were slower than I would have liked so prefer to do some of the work myself for the sake of others.
Lucky you

Reactions: Jason71
For those wondering why they don’t use the cheap legacy auto wiper detection: They need to detect rain for lots of other systems in the car (e.g. Auto Pilot) and not just on the front windscreen or specially in a small space on the front windscreen. Whilst they’d have ideally kept both systems for redundancy, I hope the FSD software will massively improve it when the code is finally shared with non FSD users.

This is also the same issue they appear to have with auto fill beams.

Other car makers use cheaper and more reliable systems or buy third party systems from companies like MobileEye (hence licence fees and paid upgrades). These system are very mature but closed, so Tesla can’t use them in conjunction with their own software. Similar to Apple with Maps they are stuck between aiding their competitors or taking the plunge and playing catch-up for long term gain.

Reactions: init6