Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers are awful

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a long-ish night drive last night. Quite wet, quite windy.
The fecking auto-wipers were a distraction to the point of being, quite frankly, almost dangerous. I had to keep adjusting the speed (which is fairly easy with a stalk but a nightmare in the stupid touch screen) and whenever I had TACC on it was a lottery what they would do next. I hate them with a passion!

Reactions: McXtravert
I had a long-ish night drive last night. Quite wet, quite windy.
The fecking auto-wipers were a distraction to the point of being, quite frankly, almost dangerous. I had to keep adjusting the speed (which is fairly easy with a stalk but a nightmare in the stupid touch screen) and whenever I had TACC on it was a lottery what they would do next. I hate them with a passion!
My drive today Manchester to Teeside and I thought exactly the same and you.

My eyes are constantly drawn to the screen to cancel some lane change ping or to speed up or slow down the terrible wipers. It is an utter distraction. Autopilot today has been woeful. About 6 phantom brakes, a total autopilot drop out (never seen that before) and some really crap half-half lane changes. Then when it’s 5 miles from the super charger it decides to try a total new re-route to a less busy charger. Again lots of fingers on the screen to stop it. When I arrive only 40% are taken anyway.

Really shitty trip today.

I work in the airline industry and dings, pings, confirmations and unnecessary lights are kept to an ABSOLUTE minimum for a very good reason.

I have had to manually turn on the wipers at night and when there is a mist on the windscreen. Definitely not as good as on my old Audi. Needs either a control on the stick or a voice command option.

I have had to manually turn on the wipers at night and when there is a mist on the windscreen. Definitely not as good as on my old Audi. Needs either a control on the stick or a voice command option.
There are 18 pages of posts in this thread. Take a look... the deficiences and the reasons why they are different to all other cars (not in a good way) have been covered quite comprehensively. You can use voice commands for manual settings if you want. (Models X and S have stalk controls for wipers that 3 and Y don't have.)

Reactions: init6
Sorry to start another thread, but hadn't seen a recent one on here or any that had a similar issue.

Picked up my M3P at the beginning of Sept so haven't had much use from the wipers until recently. I constantly have wipers set to 'auto' and even in slight rain not only will they seem to go a lot faster than a setting I would choose, they also tend to continue on until they start to smear the windscreen when it's bone dry.

On top of that, when I clean the windscreen, it seems to set them off again on another round of frantic wiping - again to a bone dry state.

The auto wiping on my Audi, though less autonomous, was much better than this.

Is this 'normal' or something I need to raise a service appointment for? Anyone else have the same issues.

There are 18 pages of posts in this thread. Take a look... the deficiences and the reasons why they are different to all other cars (not in a good way) have been covered quite comprehensively. You can use voice commands for manual settings if you want. (Models X and S have stalk controls for wipers that 3 and Y don't have.)
I can’t understand why Tesla cannot fix this. I have a new Model 3 and the auto wiper setting has a mind of its own, sometimes not wiping in wet conditions but wiping when screen is bone dry. This seems to be the norm judging by other posts. I have an Audi and though the rain detector isn’t perfect it is superior to the Tesla. I think I will follow others and use the single button wipe and the manual low speed setting. If Tesla cannot fix this I am not inclined to try fsd ever.

What makes matters worse if you can’t turn off the wipers with autopilot engaged.
I have barely used AP since they made this god-awful change.
That and forcing Auto High Beam on in the dark.
Absolute c*ckwombles.

On the other hand, to be fair, I’ve been getting less phantom braking. Mind, it only took them three years to make it go from “happening all the time” to “happens sometimes”. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve been driving with autopilot on a beautifully clear day with overhead clear blue skies and about 50 miles ahead there’s a dark rain cloud and the car wipers start and with autopilot engaged there is absolutely nothing you can do apart from enjoy the screeching sound of dry rubber scraping across the windscreen. It’s utter madness. I’m convinced this was implemented when they changed to camera only navigation for autopilot. Another backwards step.

Additionally if you are driving with autopilot engaged and your windscreen is slightly dirty, pressing the wash/wipe is an absolute no-no. The car thinks it’s raining and for about 7-8 minutes the wipers are scraping across the screen with no rain in sight.

Finally when I’m driving and the wipers are “behaving” themselves for 5 or 10 minutes I think to myself “at last, it’s finally fixed” then suddenly my beautiful intermittent wipers start to clatter back and forth as if I was in a monsoon when in reality there has been zero change in the ambient weather conditions. Fail, fail, fail on every level.

Why on earth this terrible performance has not been immediately picked up by Tesla is anybody’s guess.