Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto wipers on in autopilot when it's not raining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 Model 3 just had the windows tinted including the windshield. There was some condensation in the front camera area for a portion of a day that interfered with it, but it cleared up and seems to work fine. However, when I engage autopilot, the wipers come on. I understand the function is supposed to be active in autopilot, but it's been clear skies and sunny. I don't see any moisture in the camera unit or on any lens. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? This only started after windshield was tinted.

My 2022 Model 3 just had the windows tinted including the windshield. There was some condensation in the front camera area for a portion of a day that interfered with it, but it cleared up and seems to work fine. However, when I engage autopilot, the wipers come on. I understand the function is supposed to be active in autopilot, but it's been clear skies and sunny. I don't see any moisture in the camera unit or on any lens. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? This only started after windshield was tinted.
Under Tesla Vision, Auto wipers can't be disabled in AP:
Tesla Vision Autopilot has some interesting new behaviours

Do you mean however that it does a dry wipe?
If it does that, try cleaning the glass where the camera is.

You can also check your dashcam footage and see how it looks.

Upvote 0
Had this happen to me recently as well. I do not have my windshield tinted but that day I had parked under a tree that dropped little specs of sap. The camera probably picked it up as being water droplets.
It hasn't happened again for me after wiping the windshield.

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0
I get this from time to time too on a 2022 m3 rwd. No tint. I have had it occur due to tree sap, but it also spontaneously occurs after driving on autopilot without wipers for hours. (We just finished a 500mi road trip and in our last 30 miles the wipers came on - no rain and pretty clean windows. We washed the windows to no immediate avail. Disabled autopilot for 10 minutes and turned it back on and it worked properly.

My guess is that it has to do with glare from some overhead streetlights. The last time this occurred (tonight) I was driving on thr QEW between Burlington and Toronto. The lights there are high mast lights in clusters of 6 lights. Perhaps they are being mid-interpreted as distorted due to dirt?

Reactions: DrGriz and rpiotro
Upvote 0
A w
thanks for the reply. I'll check the dash cam footage. Yes, I meant the wipers engage with no rain (dry). I wondered if a reboot might help?? It must have something to do with the window tint that was installed on the windshield.
A windshield tint is applied from the inside of the car. It doesn’t cover your cameras. My wipers are doing the same thing (dry wiping) and it’s absolutely annoying. All my cameras are clean and I don’t even bother using AP on my daily 200km commute

Reactions: balalalala
Upvote 0
Mine has started doing this since the last update at 0610 in the morning in the dark with zero condensation and a clean, untinted windshield. It's just a slow, dry rub on pristine glass. The worst is Tesla doesn't trust us to disable it because you can't on autopilot. It's unacceptable that my car won't let me turn off my own wipers. Please correct soon!

Reactions: balalalala
Upvote 0
I love my new 2023 MYLR, don't get me wrong, however, the AP is almost unusable due to dry wiping when I have my cruise on. I'm avoiding using my AP for fear of causing damage to the windshield by constant dry wiping. The sensitivity of whatever sensor mechanism is in use is totally ridiculous. Anybody try to get service to make adjustments?

Reactions: AnthonyLR
Upvote 0
I love my new 2023 MYLR, don't get me wrong, however, the AP is almost unusable due to dry wiping when I have my cruise on. I'm avoiding using my AP for fear of causing damage to the windshield by constant dry wiping. The sensitivity of whatever sensor mechanism is in use is totally ridiculous. Anybody try to get service to make adjustments?
If it's that bad I'd made a service appt if you have a center close by. That sounds like more than a software bug.

Upvote 0