Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autobahn Tune - Higher Top Speed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they don't restrict the high speed tuning to only Model S's in Germany. The car does feel very "light" when at speeds of 180km/h. (I was at the dragstrip :)
There was a tweet or something saying it was available beyond Germany, I thought. Or maybe that was just the 135 kW supercharging. I forget.

- - - Updated - - -

Cross-posting...

I haven't heard anybody comment about this yet:
Therefore, Tesla has announced a third major step to offer a free high -speed performance upgrade for the Model S in Germany in order to optimize it for the highway. This upgrade will be available for all customers in Germany , and includes a retrofit of all the Model S , which have already been delivered and are on the roads .
( Alternate translation: )
Tesla as the third big step has therefore announced in Germany to offer a free high-speed-performance upgrade for the model S, to optimize it for the highway. This upgrade will be available to all customers in Germany, and includes a retrofit of all model S, which already have been delivered and are on the streets.

Perhaps someone in Germany can speak on experiences with the upgrade/retrofit.

The equivalent MB or BMW doesn't need special adjustments for the Autobahn..... why should the Model S, aside from allowing it to go faster if possible...

The autobahn still has very fast drivers, my friend was just there in a new Porsche 991 and was passed while going 170 MPH....

The equivalent MB or BMW doesn't need special adjustments for the Autobahn..... why should the Model S, aside from allowing it to go faster if possible...

The autobahn still has very fast drivers, my friend was just there in a new Porsche 991 and was passed while going 170 MPH....
Ok, I'll bite. Let's see if you like this rephrasing...

When we originally introduced the Model S, it was a priority to get the vehicles out quickly to the initial buyers. In the market and geography for these cars, we tuned both the performance and creature comforts as best possible on an aggressive schedule.

Subsequently, when we rolled out to the broader North America market (including Canada) combined with the winter weather we became aware that there are some improvements we could and should make in the near term. This led to the introduction of options such as the rear heated seats, and the final rollout of the winter tire options.

Additionally, some of the performance enthusiast market had less-than-ideal feedback on the suspension in the Performance offering. In response, we've offered the Plus package that significantly modifies the suspension, and also changes the rear wheels and tires. The response has been positive both in direct feedback and in the indirect feedback of people opting for the Plus package.

With expansion in the German market, we've gotten feedback about the Autobahn and high speed driving in general. As we attempt to do on a regular basis, we've again re-evaluated our offering and have some improvements in the works to address those concerns. We hope German buyers will like what we've done but we're, as usual, open to feedback. We want to satisfy and delight our customers.

Elon was in UK yesterday opening the London store. He was asked about Autobahn tuning and his response was :-

Steering and handling. Lane chance wasn't smooth enough. These was roll. I present he mean Lane change. He also said that the tuning would be available to whole of EU (did not mention anywhere else but he was in Europe at the time)

Anyone had experience at sustained speeds of 90 mph+ with Model S for over 20-30 miles? From what I've been reading on this forum is that the MS can only sustain 100 mph+ for only short distances before warning signals come on... but it's been my experience that I've driven for about 30 miles at about 90 mph (don't ask me where... :wink: ) without any warning signs coming up. Am I abusing my MS if I keep driving at high speeds? Will I shorten my battery life?

If the car is letting you do it, I would think it is OK. Battery life may be a little shorter, but anything you do with the car shortens battery life some. If the car is not complaining about the batteries being hot and restricting power, I wouldn't worry about it. The car seems to take pretty good care of itself.

The warnings no doubt come on faster when ambient temperatures are higher, so people trying the same thing in Arizona or July may report different results.

Last edited:
Anyone had experience at sustained speeds of 90 mph+ with Model S for over 20-30 miles? From what I've been reading on this forum is that the MS can only sustain 100 mph+ for only short distances before warning signals come on... but it's been my experience that I've driven for about 30 miles at about 90 mph (don't ask me where... :wink: ) without any warning signs coming up. Am I abusing my MS if I keep driving at high speeds? Will I shorten my battery life?

I've driven it between 90 and 95 for ~40 miles without any issue. It does eat battery power at that speed. >500 wh/mi !

I can tell you for a fact this is not the case. I have no problem with sustained 95-100mph for 90+ miles straight. Though it does eat lots of energy, essentially uses 500Wh/mile at those speeds. Uses 180 miles rated range to go 95 actual miles lol

6u6u8a7u.jpg

ahyvygyb.jpg

Though both of those times when I stopped the car to park and charge this came up:

e2apebat.jpg