Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit replacement worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the reasons I have no reservations about using the unlimited supercharging to the extent that I do, is knowing that Tesla's going to charge top dollar for replacing parts that could normally be repaired, nickel & diming, and then they pull stuff like the Pyro fuse, charge for replacing something that is internal to the HV battery, and still covered by warranty. It's not the old tesla anymore. They are now no different than any of the other manufacturers. It makes me quite sad to say that. Tesla was absolutely amazing in the early days.
My first 500 mile trip required 3 stops of about 30 minutes each. The last time I made that trip was in 2019 and each stop (same Superchargers) took just over an hour each. Have burned gasoline 4 or 5 times since because adding 3 hours to 9 hour day is no fun.

Somewhere around 2016 a firmware “update” slowed my Supercharging in half. It still starts about 115 kW but quickly tapers to about 30 kW at 80%.

Will know what Tesla says next week. If big then I’ll consider alternate repairs before salvage. Don’t want to loose free Supercharging that I don’t use but once or twice per year.

My first 500 mile trip required 3 stops of about 30 minutes each. The last time I made that trip was in 2019 and each stop (same Superchargers) took just over an hour each. Have burned gasoline 4 or 5 times since because adding 3 hours to 9 hour day is no fun.

Somewhere around 2016 a firmware “update” slowed my Supercharging in half. It still starts about 115 kW but quickly tapers to about 30 kW at 80%.

Will know what Tesla says next week. If big then I’ll consider alternate repairs before salvage. Don’t want to loose free Supercharging that I don’t use but once or twice per year.

Those who upgraded their batteries to 100 kWh have reported that the charging speed went all the way back up. A major reason to pursue that route. But 20 grand is a lot to spend on an older car!

Those who upgraded their batteries to 100 kWh have reported that the charging speed went all the way back up. A major reason to pursue that route. But 20 grand is a lot to spend on an older car!
There is no way I will spend $20k on gasoline the next 10 years. And only pay $20k to have a car I might be able to sell for only $20k.

Have a Subaru with 27k miles and F-150 with 10k. If the Tesla goes it will be replaced with a tractor with front end loader.

There is no way I will spend $20k on gasoline the next 10 years. And only pay $20k to have a car I might be able to sell for only $20k.

Have a Subaru with 27k miles and F-150 with 10k. If the Tesla goes it will be replaced with a tractor with front end loader.

The most expensive part of the car is ... the car. You buy a $30,000 car and in 2 years it's worth $15,000; you've lost that $15k and whatever else you've got in the car as well (insurance, gas, tires, tree shaped air fresheners (find one in ever car -- you'll see)), etc.

Save your money by not replacing the dead tesla if it dies; sell the parts to other scavangers who will reuse the hulk for other projects out on the wastelands.

The most expensive part of the car is ... the car. You buy a $30,000 car and in 2 years it's worth $15,000; you've lost that $15k and whatever else you've got in the car as well (insurance, gas, tires, tree shaped air fresheners (find one in ever car -- you'll see)), etc.

Save your money by not replacing the dead tesla if it dies; sell the parts to other scavangers who will reuse the hulk for other projects out on the wastelands.
The most attractive option at the moment appears to be to repurpose my traction battery for PV storage. Have 75+ kWh of capacity.

Drive unit dead. Internal short. Have had the vehicle returned to my carport.

95A1DBEF-1E36-458C-8AF3-F27FC8B3D2A8_1_105_c.jpeg

Continuing and updating my comments from post #30 in this thread....

I had my LDU rebuilt by QC Charge in San Diego, CA in December 2022 for $5,500. To restate, I had a great experience at QC Charge.

11 months later, in Nov 2023, I have a wet speed sensor. Maybe the "drain kit" also installed by QC Charge has saved a failure up to this point?

When speaking with Tony at QC Charge recently about this failure, they will honor their 1 year warranty regarding their repair.

Tony said that QC Charge is coming out with a "coolant delete" part that will bypass the liquid coolant away from the LDU. This new part is not covered under their warranty, and is $600 plus tax.

COOLANT DELETE Tesla Large Drive Unit

QC Charge's other option is to add an oil based cooling system, for a parts cost of $1,100

My questions are:
  1. Is the coolant for the motor the same coolant used for the HV battery?
  2. If not, if you design a part to bypass the coolant, why not just drain the coolant?
  3. Since I have been losing coolant, how do I check the coolant level?
  4. If I need coolant, I assume "get it from Tesla", or is there an aftermarket product for G-48 coolant?

Thanks