TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autocar | Tesla plans electric 3-series

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dpeilow, Jan 27, 2010.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

The "Blue Star"...but 3-Series....Model S was lame enough.....they need more creative names

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

umm... I'm sure 3-Series just means it will be about the size of a BMW 3-series and says nothing about the name of the car.

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I think the only reason they used the "Model S" name was so the next car would be logically called the "Model T," the EV for the masses (and the first car, the Roadster, starts with an R).

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Yea, I'd heard that....still think it's lame

5. GSP

GSP Member

"Tesla’s chairman and CEO, Elon Musk, founded PayPal and a business called SpaceX that builds satellites for the US government."

Satellites? Someone needs to buy AutoCar a subscription to Aviation Week, or show them how to use Google. :tongue:

GSP

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I read it as different skateboard models off the S platform. Not an entirely new car ie the BlueStar,

7. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Question:
    Could this 3-series Tesla be based off of the E.Y.E design???? Or will Tesla design this new model in-house?

8. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

I believe the E.Y.E. design was simply a fun idea by students with Tesla agreeing to put their badge on it, just as Audi did with a Hovercar, called "Shark", as seen here.

Since the 3-series is a BMW vehicle line I read the article as if Tesla was developing the powertrain for BMW to use in their 3-series vehicles, similar to the Smart EV.

9. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

As Doug said above, it's more to do with the size of the car. I don't know about over that side of the pond, but in the UK the 3 Series is used as the yardstick for the small saloon/sedan market - hence Autocar's use of the phrase.