Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't need to go through all those steps, it is stamped on the front springs.

The MPP.R spring kit is a stiffer set of springs that are right near the limit of what the Sports dampers can handle. If anyone needs more than that (running slicks, aero) I would recommend our competition coilovers which will knock your teeth out but perform very well.

I don't remember the numbers that were on the springs but I googled them and wasn't totally sure based on that so I measured. I've had to do it on some of my old springs cause old hyperco just etched the number at the ends and the sorta rust away.

Got another weekend playing with the M3P. Bit of a mixed bag, but it doesn't completely suck 🙃

Me: National Champion Autocrosser, 19yrs in the game
Mods: MPP Sport coilovers, 265 RE71 (1 year old, 10k street miles)

MPP standard rates are great for the street but the car is still pretty floppy. Definitely need more than that ~1.3deg I have. I think some camber and swaybars will be a happy medium for street car and occasional autox.

The biggest issue, this car critically needs an LSD. Because it cant transfer power, when any wheel slips it can only reduce power globally. The bias seems to work well as a tool to shift power rate forward or backward. If the rear seems to step out more then more front bias will allow more throttle and power to the end with grip and less to the other.

Compared to my evo with "magic" diffs, the car is just so reliant on all tires maintaining grip. I can drive around it, but it would be faster if it could put power down earlier.
The MPP Partybox helps by reducing VSC, allowing more wheel slip without cutting power.

Anyone here has UP FUCA's? How much camber can you get.
I have MPP V1 and no matter what I do I cannot get more than 2.5 degrees, and I don't want to lower the car more than 1.5"
So, I'm thinking upgrading my V1s. How much camber (and extra caster) you guys are getting with UP arms?
Are Redwood arms an option?
MPP v2 seem to be only promising an extra 0.6 degrees, but maybe they are just being honest?

FWIW, I switched a car from MPP V1 to V2 FUCA and that only changed front camber from -2.3 to -2.7. Reluctant to switch to UP because of poor experiences with their other products, but might be the only way to get more camber without slamming the car to the ground.

Yes, noticeably more.
Is that a good thing? You can spin the car quite easily on -10. In what situations is the VSC stepping in when you're in control of the car and it would be doing what you want if VSC didn't intervene?

Is it "reduced" or is it "off"? Is it TC off or VSC off?

I notice that it's in Beta for AWD and "the traction control strategy is still in development."? It also doesn't mention reduced VSC, just disabled.

The Party Box is activated and de-activated by pressing the “slip-start” button on the screen and allows a fixed amount of wheelspin, and fully disables stability control.
Can you even run track mode at the same time as the Party Box?

Is that a good thing? You can spin the car quite easily on -10. In what situations is the VSC stepping in when you're in control of the car and it would be doing what you want if VSC didn't intervene?

Is it "reduced" or is it "off"? Is it TC off or VSC off?

I notice that it's in Beta for AWD and "the traction control strategy is still in development."? It also doesn't mention reduced VSC, just disabled.

Can you even run track mode at the same time as the Party Box?
I’ve seen the release notes for the still internal new partybox beta and they sound pretty epic. I’ll be racing against a LR AWD this year with the same parts as me and this latest beta, I’m slightly concerned. 😂

I’ve seen the release notes for the still internal new partybox beta and they sound pretty epic.
I've seen the release notes for Tesla's FSD and it sounds epic too ;) It's neat to see MPP continuing to push the bar with Teslas, but I hope this isn't following in Tesla's footsteps of endless betas and "limited access" to a select few, nor "customers" that have it discussing it as if it's a released product you can just go buy. If it is actually a superior VSC/TC for Teslas that anyone can buy, that's super awesome.

When MPP's page says it disables VSC and someone else says it "reduces" it, I start to wonder what it really does.

One note, the Party Box is not SCCA legal in SS or EV-X, for anyone that cares about that kind of stuff or wants to win on a technicality.

Umm.. wut?
My response was based on your response to post #229, which had a pic of skid marks going toward an open field from a 75mph lock up and flat spots.
You responded with Seneca. My first thought was Senna's crash at the 94 Italian Grand Prix that had him going off the track into a field and concrete barrier.
I guess I missed your Seneca meaning. Still not sure what that meant.
Must be getting a little dense these days, and showing my age.
Better use AutoPilot on my next trip!

Reactions: GAGT and tm1v2
One note, the Party Box is not SCCA legal in SS or EV-X, for anyone that cares about that kind of stuff or wants to win on a technicality.
1647360724085.png

That seems debatable.

I've seen the release notes for Tesla's FSD and it sounds epic too ;) It's neat to see MPP continuing to push the bar with Teslas, but I hope this isn't following in Tesla's footsteps of endless betas and "limited access" to a select few, nor "customers" that have it discussing it as if it's a released product you can just go buy. If it is actually a superior VSC/TC for Teslas that anyone can buy, that's super awesome.

When MPP's page says it disables VSC and someone else says it "reduces" it, I start to wonder what it really does.

It's debatable on SR/LR cars since there is no way to defeat TC/SC on them.

My response was based on your response to post #229, which had a pic of skid marks going toward an open field from a 75mph lock up and flat spots.
You responded with Seneca. My first thought was Senna's crash at the 94 Italian Grand Prix that had him going off the track into a field and concrete barrier.
I guess I missed your Seneca meaning. Still not sure what that meant.
Must be getting a little dense these days, and showing my age.
Better use AutoPilot on my next trip!

Seneca Army Depot... It's an AutoX site in New York.

That seems debatable.

You'll have to prove that the ONLY point of the party box is to limit TC/SC and does it by altering inputs to the TC/SC processor or disabling the processor. If it increases power or does anything else to the car, it's not allowed. It will be very hard to do this with something that sits on the CAN bus and can mess with anything it wants. You'd probably want MPP to publish a statement on how it works in order to have a chance there. They do say "This is not some other trigger of a Tesla existing feature" which makes it seem questionable on what it does.

But that's for SS. Which camber arms, shocks, etc get you out of anyway.

For EV-X, it's definitely not allowed:
1647364407752.png

Or just don't run at super srs events
+1 to that for sure. I avoid the SCCA stuff for the same reasons and just run at the fun stuff with lots of runs where I can beat up on cars on Hoosiers while on street tires. Just pointing out for anyone that does care. The Party Box came up in response to someone that is a National Champion discussing less power reduction, and this is technically a topic titled EV-X vs SS ;)

Reactions: SK360
+1 to that for sure. I avoid the SCCA stuff for the same reasons and just run at the fun stuff with lots of runs where I can beat up on cars on Hoosiers while on street tires. Just pointing out for anyone that does care. The Party Box came up in response to someone that is a National Champion discussing less power reduction, and this is technically a topic titled EV-X vs SS ;)
Also you can always figure out who’s a national champion Autocrosser, you don’t even have to ask, they’ll tell you :p. I kid, I kid.

Seneca Army Depot... It's an AutoX site in New York.
Seneca Army Depot. Yea I was close with my Senna. Been binging on the Formula 1 Netflix coverage from 2021, and getting pumped up for the first F1 race this weekend.
Been many years since I ran any AutoX sites in New York. Moved to AZ in 2001. Used to run at quite a few New York sites for the big events, when I was in Pa. I mainly ran at the Farm Show lot in Harrisburg. That was a great site.

Reactions: SK360