Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local region chair is at the SCCA national convention and said they’re planning to make EVX a supplemental class at national events this year. If confirmed, that’s great because the only options right now are street or street prepared.
Can confirm

1643039739813.png

I have never ran the RE71R so I can't speak to those, but I did just switch from A052s to RT660s. The RT660 are lasting WAY longer than the A052s. They are also not as grippy as the A052s. I'm not saying the RT660 aren't good but I'm slower on them. I'll happily spend $600 less per set in my size for the RT660s and get more life out of them.

I have never ran the RE71R so I can't speak to those, but I did just switch from A052s to RT660s. The RT660 are lasting WAY longer than the A052s. They are also not as grippy as the A052s. I'm not saying the RT660 aren't good but I'm slower on them. I'll happily spend $600 less per set in my size for the RT660s and get more life out of them.

Yeah, I'm fine leaving time on the table in exchange for longevity as I would just go to A7's if I cared that much or had the budget. I had heard the 660's were the spiritual replacement for the RE's but then I heard others saying they wear much faster, I could get 10-11 events plus the 80 miles round trip to those event easily on RE's once I got the front upper control arms. I heatcycled out my last set before the tread is worn.

Heh, I was following those last two posts "if the A052 is out of the question because it wears fast that is probably what you want" ---> "oh $600 more per set AND wears faster? yikes"

Yes, A052's are fantastic if someone else is paying for them.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and M3Pdude
How did you identify them heat cycling out? My RE71's have 200+ runs but have tons of tread left. However, they are getting really sketchy when cold (sub 50F), and I don't think I'm hitting any more peak grip than my PS4S's anymore. But I assumed that was just the cold we deal with in the winter here.
There. Easier to tell when running on a track where you know what your time is supposed to be. When 'crossing I always compare myself to similar competitors to evaluate time across different course layouts. An STU prepped 350z with a driver with similar driving experience to mine was my benchmark. Then the local alien was just a dream to catch in the GS civic or FS M3 sigh*

How did you identify them heat cycling out? My RE71's have 200+ runs but have tons of tread left. However, they are getting really sketchy when cold (sub 50F), and I don't think I'm hitting any more peak grip than my PS4S's anymore. But I assumed that was just the cold we deal with in the winter here.
Pretty much just feel and standings against other competitors.... "hrmm I would have been able to make this move before....". It's not scientific at all lol.

I have seen the RT660 both do amazing things and tragically fail on the same car. It came down to weather and heat.

I dont know if the RT660 needs to be as hot as the old Rival did but it definitely cant be cold. RE71 and A052 on the other hand will work at a cooler temp with the A052 greasing up when over heated.

I didn't know you could get that many runs out of the RE71s on these cars. Do the AO52s wear the same?

I ran the RT660s on my M240 but if I'm going to re-use my Uberturbines, I think I only see the AO52s (245/35-20) as an option.

I didn't know you could get that many runs out of the RE71s on these cars. Do the AO52s wear the same?
Probably depends on the surface a lot. My tires are only about half worn by the tread and I run in the top 3 fastest raw times of the day with my group..

The AO52's do not wear like this. They are softer and quicker, but wear probably 3X as fast. Some people claim they don't heat cycle as much though.

I ran the RT660s on my M240 but if I'm going to re-use my Uberturbines, I think I only see the AO52s (245/35-20) as an option.
If you're going to replace your tires more than once and really care about performance, it's generally cheaper to get some $250 18" lightweight wheels for your race tires. You can go wider then too.

Reactions: tm1v2
Agreed so much about ditching the heavy Uberturbines. Replacing them with lightweight 18s helped my car's steering feel and its sense of nimbleness, especially for tight back-and-forth turns in the twisties. The improvement was bigger than I expected, even knowing the Uberturbines were heavy. I haven't autocrossed my M3P but the benefits seem clearly worthwhile for auto-x too.

$250/wheel 18" flow formed wheels can be paid for in what, one set of tires vs 20"? :) Excellent value there. Even $500-$600/wheel 18" forged wheels won't take long to pay for themselves if you go through a lot of tires (because race car / auto-x car). Granted if you go wide that'll bump the tire prices back up, but it's still a worthwhile change. (I went to 245/45 on 18x8.5, but I am/was only focused on street driving. For now. Obviously I'm following this thread. ;))

If you're going to replace your tires more than once and really care about performance, it's generally cheaper to get some $250 18" lightweight wheels for your race tires. You can go wider then too.
Yea, I actually daily a set of 18" wheels. I know the options open up at 18", but from my understanding, this isnt a legal size for the Performance in S Street. I was debating on picking up a set of 19x9s, but Tire Rack is rather limited (or out of stock lol.) Not alot of options in tires either (but more than 20".)

Mostly debating with myself on if I wanna spend the money on an extra set of 19x9 (and those damn $300+ bluetooth TPMS) vs just repurposing my unused Uberturbines.

Last edited:
Yea, I actually daily a set of 18" wheels. I know the options open up at 18", but from my understanding, this isnt a legal size for the Performance in S Street. I was debating on picking up a set of 19x9s, but Tire Rack is rather limited (or out of stock lol.)
If you need 19s...

19x9" forged for $725/wheel (and you can find small discounts with some vendors, e.g. 5% off + free shipping):
https://titan-7.com/collections/whe...-domestic-applications?variant=39772931391576

19x9.5" forged for same $725/wheel (again can find small discounts with some vendors, e.g. 5% off + free shipping):
https://titan-7.com/collections/wheels/products/t-cs5-forged-10-spoke-wheel?variant=39509626847320

19x9.5" forged for $687.50/wheel (not sure about shipping cost):
https://redwoodmotorsports.com/products/model-3-wheels?variant=31985633984615

I believe all of those are in stock. Not as cheap as cast / flow formed of course, but those are pretty reasonable prices for 19" forged! The T-S5 is definitely direct fit on M3P hubs (that's what I'm running in 18x8.5"). Not 100% sure if the new T-CS5 is but seems likely. I believe the Redwood wheels are direct fit as well but confirm with them.

If you don't mind centering rings then these cheaper flow formed wheels are listed as in stock:

19x9" for $414/wheel (plus shipping):
https://www.apexraceparts.com/19x9-et34-apex-ec-7-tesla-model-3-y-compatible-wheel.html

19x9" for $489/wheel (plus shipping):
https://www.apexraceparts.com/shop-...x-sm-10-tesla-model-3-y-compatible-wheel.html

Not trying to shill for any particular vendors, those are just some wheel brands I was considering when I bought my wheels.

Yea, I actually daily a set of 18" wheels. I know the options open up at 18", but from my understanding, this isnt a legal size for the Performance in S Street. I was debating on picking up a set of 19x9s, but Tire Rack is rather limited (or out of stock lol.) Not alot of options in tires either (but more than 20".)

Mostly debating with myself on if I wanna spend the money on an extra set of 19x9 (and those damn $300+ bluetooth TPMS) vs just repurposing my unused Uberturbines.

Since you can't be competitive in S-Street either way just go with what is cheap or fun.