Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, 0.832 instead of 0.838.

All I want for Christmas is more people showing up in EV's in 2023. What I really want is at least 5 of us at Nationals!
I'm debating about Nats this year. We'll see what I get done to the car as we get closer. Also gotta look at the logistics of running an EV there. (Charging, etc) Also, see how I do at Tour in Packwood. Might try to hit Crows Landing in a couple months too.

Last edited:
Great work. He’s also proving the Tesla doesn’t belong in SS with this as pax gets softer if you modify it
This is one of the points I made. He was assuming it was an SS car, and thus had to be faster than SS. I pointed out that the only thing it ever won was BS, and if it was a dominant SS car, we'd see people using it to win SS at nationals, not figuring out how to borrow $250K GT3's and NSXs.

I also pointed out how SSC is now slower than DS- because while SSC cars are in DS, they are no longer competitive. The Gen1 Toyotabrus are slower than the Gen 2's, even after you mod the Gen 1's, and his own SSC PAX shows that.

That seemed to be the thing that got him to look at the raw data a bit more closely. Maybe after a year or two of a lower PAX than SS, we could petition for it to be an AS car, but personally I kind of don't care given there is an EV class.

Also, see how I do at Tour in Packwood. Might try to hit Crows Landing in a couple months too.
For me, Packwood is the annoying one to figure out charging. Crows and Lincoln are easy for charging with superchargers just a few miles away.

• Helpful
Reactions: GAGT and Lindenwood
I'm debating about Nats this year. We'll see what I get done to the car as we get closer. Also gotta look at the logistics of running an EV there. (Charging, etc) Also, see how I do at Tour in Packwood. Might try to hit Crows Landing in a couple months too.

I got a predator 9500 generator for home power outages (country life...). Could bring it and charge 220v 30amp. That's about 7% per hour.
There's also the 110v power at the pole at the far end by the maintenance shop. Though at Tour its usually got a ton of people already plugged in.

• Love
Reactions: Lindenwood
I got a predator 9500 generator for home power outages (country life...). Could bring it and charge 220v 30amp. That's about 7% per hour.
There's also the 110v power at the pole at the far end by the maintenance shop. Though at Tour its usually got a ton of people already plugged in.
I live on a mountain, and have multiple portable generators as well. Charging the Tesla at my house via transfer switch is easy peasy, but you have to play some games with them (bonded nuetral) to charge the Tesla directly from the gen set.

I suggest testing at home and ironing it out beforehand! 😎

• Helpful
For Crows and Nats, there's a SC within 15min of the airports, so good there. For Packwood I'll put a reservation in so I'll have access to power there. Should be all good no matter what I do. Now just gotta dump $5k of C.C.T into the car, before any of that is a consideration. (Coils, camber, tires) 😒

I am probably going to soldier along in SS, as I do not have to funds to make a proper EVX build. Crazy how you can mod it and the pax goes down... 🤯
Why run in SS if EVX is lower PAX? Nothing says you have to have mods to run in EVX.

It's not unheard of BTW- SSC has a lower PAX than DS even though it has the same cars and mods- because the cars you can put in SSC aren't competitive DS cars anymore.

Remember, the new crazy rules from the SCCA: no charging in "Pit" or "Grid." Not sure what they would call the various areas around the Packwood site.

For Packwood I'll put a reservation in so I'll have access to power there.
Hmm, I sense a fight brewing at the two outlets at the Packwood Lodge ;)

We would definitely have to test the gen ahead of time and possibly do some research, but we needed the gen regardless so if it does work its a bonus. I'll probably do some running of the tesla this year while testing the billet uprights, so this was my plan for charging over night.

We always tow with the 24ft enclose and Super C rolling home. So dragging along a 250lbs gen is more of a logistics issue in making sure I just have enough room.

And are you actually going to bring the Tesla to Packwood?
Planning on it. Already have my Packwood Lodge reservation so I can charge. We'll see when the time gets closer...

We always tow with the 24ft enclose and Super C rolling home.
If you tow, do you really need to charge? In my experience 60 second courses are 3-4% per run, so you have ~15 runs before the power starts reducing. My whole issue is that getting to Packwood from Seattle means arriving with about 40%, which isn't even enough for a round trip.

Reactions: Dallas J
Planning on it. Already have my Packwood Lodge reservation so I can charge. We'll see when the time gets closer...

If you tow, do you really need to charge? In my experience 60 second courses are 3-4% per run, so you have ~15 runs before the power starts reducing. My whole issue is that getting to Packwood from Seattle means arriving with about 40%, which isn't even enough for a round trip.

There are some smaller clubs where you can get 10-15 runs in. And theres also the Medford cart track where they do the enduro events. Those I could certainly drain the battery enough I'd think about charging.

But for sure a normal 5 run event, I probably wouldn't bother too much with it.

Reactions: gearchruncher
Hi,
Happy new year to all !

Was wondering if anyone here tested or know someone who tested the Kumho Ecsta V730 ?

I will have to replace my RT660 on the Tesla after running them a little over half 2022 (maybe 10 days total on them)

I was disappointed by the wear on the Falkens, the inside are almost corded already on the front and I had a crack on one of the rears (which did not evolve though). 265*35 18. I will flip them for the first events of 2023 but I think they only have 2-3 more days in them.

I'm debating between RT660 / V730 / Conti ExtremeContact Force / Rivals S 1.5/ Nankang CR-S for 2023

I'm not considering the A052 because from what I saw they will be gone after 5 events on the Tesla despite being the fastest. I'm afraid the Nankang CR-S will have the same issue ?

Issue on this car is the weight and how the tires will cope with it...

Looks like the Kumho are decently fast and wear fine... and super cheap, $850 for a set in 275/35 18

The Rivals S 1.5 might be also an option for durability ? The Conti are super good on roadcourse, like the SC3 but not so sure about AutoX...

Apex EC7 18*9.5
MPP Page Mill disks with M3P calipers
MPP Corkscrew
MPP Solid Bushings
Silver Neomax with Swift springs Coilovers
Party box (ongoing)
MPP Camber arms (ongoing)

Was running -3.3deg camber in front last year with stock OEM suspensions

Thanks

I'm running the Nankang CR-S at the moment in 275/35R19. I got them late last year based on them being significantly cheaper and more available than any other UUHP or semi-slick tyre here in Oz, noting that we're often the last to get new models of anything. I've only used them once, coincidentally for an AutoX. It was my first time on semis so I can't give you any first hand information beyond being amazed at the comparison to regular street tyres.

One of the driver trainers running the event told me that they were great tyres for the money, but that repeated high-speed laps could make the go off badly. For track use he recommended warm up, hot lap, one or two 80% laps, another hot lap and then cool down. For the same reason he suggested AutoX and hill climbs were a good fit and would likely result in good longevity.

For reference I'm in an LFP M3SR+ (i.e. 1800kg) running a setup that is practically identical to what's at the bottom of the page linked below. I drive to the track on street wheels and tyres with street alignment, then spend about 45 minutes at the track changing settings and wheels to the below.

Last edited:
I used the 275/35r18 Kuhmos last year. They’re a good tire on the Tesla but not the fastest. I wish they made a 275/40r18 or something wider. Slower than RE71Rs that I started the season on but much faster and easier to control than the Nexen SU4GR that I despise. After a few events they will have almost no tread even though they’re far from worn out so it did make me nervous it would rain on the commute to/from events.

Last edited:

Here’s my initial review. I ended up doing around 20 events on them and probably should have kept them a little longer.

Curious how you’re getting 3.3 front camber with OEM suspension?

I have 275/35/19 Rivals. Bought them late last season, as they were one of the only 200TW tires available at the time, and they were a real bargain from Tire Rack. I liked them in the one autocross and one track day I did. Beware though that they run very wide. In my size with 5mm spacers they still rub the uprights under hard cornering.

I can’t really compare them to other tires in this class, but I do have 3 AutoX days and ~50 mostly-hot laps on a 1.7 mile road coarse, and still have about 30-40% tread left. I would expect they could easily last a full AutoX season.

(Federal 595RS-Pro in 275/35R19)

Not Nationals or anything, but I was running middle-of-the-pack with all-seasons, then 2nd place for the previous two events after getting the 595s (2nd to the Fiesta who won our club’s overall season), then I got LCABs and lowered tires pressures a bit more and hit the times below.

85CEC1AB-6A6B-4641-92DD-D48C9AA6C84B.png