Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automated Car Washing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two buckets of hot water and rubber gloves work well enough to wash in winter. I purchased J wax in bulk (5 gallon pail) from a car wash supplier and I add a little to the rinse water bucket. It has a drying agent to remove surface water quickly and it leaves a wax coating which is extra protection.

I avoid automated car washing too but I do think that flushing away salt underneath the vehicle is an important step that we miss by hand washing.

There is no perfect solution during winter.

I took a Jeep Cherokee through a touchless car wash, once. Those things should be called cleanless car washes. The car wasn't even that dirty, but it made absolutely no difference.
I have a membership at a touchless car wash - because I have a black car. I go through 2-3 times per week, and it's completely awesome even with the basic wash. Just because you had 1 bad experience doesn't mean all touchless washes suck.

Reactions: croman and ABVA
2 solutions for you: 1.) Never let your car go through the "automated" car wash--our car wash refused to take mine-- the feed that pulls the wheels through will scuff up your rims -- a pet peeve of just about everyone who has one, low profile tires or not, 2.) Instead of springing for the "hand wash" at the car wash - wash it yourself with waterless car wash -- it only takes 5-10 minutes, it's a lot of fun to do yourself, you can stop and start any time, carry your supplies in the FRUNK (spellcheck hates that word!) and it is better for your paint (the "hand wash" usually is done with a single bucket of water and scratchy cotton rags or "microfiber" that is used, damaged, and brittle! I've had it with commercial car washes). - TeslaChick

Thanks. -GG

I have a membership at a touchless car wash - because I have a black car. I go through 2-3 times per week, and it's completely awesome even with the basic wash. Just because you had 1 bad experience doesn't mean all touchless washes suck.

I agree with this. My work parking garage has a touchless car wash that does a reasonable job- good enough in winter months to get the salt off. The chemicals in touchless washes can't as bad as marring the finish with a brush, imo.

However, I'm so paranoid about swirl marks that I wash my car maybe once a quarter. Sure I drive around in a dirty car, but when I do wash it, it looks phenomenal.

I've never seen such a crappy paint the Tesla has in my life. Even a slight breath will leave scratch marks on it. Nowhere near comparable with the premium Europe carmakers paint. Avoid any contact washing at all costs!

I've had my car for 1 1/2 years and have never gone thru automatic car wash. My routine has been manual power wash followed by dry with microfiber and detail spray. Yesterday I got lazy and did automatic for the first time. First I saw the rails nears tire and thought about my wheels getting cuffed. I then folded the mirror inward. This was not touch less and had brushes and mops hanging. I freaked out when my wipers started because I keep them in auto mode. I hit the brakes and jammed the machine. I turned them off. And went thru. You have to get out for the interior and the attendant wasn't familiar with a tesla so I had to get back în and drive it on the conveyor. I survived with no damage. NEVER AGAIN!