Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Emergency Braking Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh man that sucks. In my last car I had a small fender bender Similar to your case. I got EAP just so I can avoid that same situation. Sucks to hear it won’t work under 7mph

Note that EAP works just fine all the way down to 0 mph. The issue here was the OP lightly had their foot on the accelerator which overrides EAP braking. That leaves the emergency system, AEB, which is the part that doesn't work under 7mph apparently.

If you use EAP and keep your foot off the accelerator, it works just fine in stop and go (barring sudden cutoffs and other driver craziness that you always have to keep an eye out for)

Reactions: Phillyasian
Note that EAP works just fine all the way down to 0 mph. The issue here was the OP lightly had their foot on the accelerator which overrides EAP braking. That leaves the emergency system, AEB, which is the part that doesn't work under 7mph apparently.

If you use EAP and keep your foot off the accelerator, it works just fine in stop and go (barring sudden cutoffs and other driver craziness that you always have to keep an eye out for)
You definitely should always be keeping an eye out. I've allowed EAP to handle sudden cutoffs and it actually did a good job of stopping in time. It will slam on the brakes but it will stop in time.

Note that some cars (the Cadillac ATS comes to mind) have tried to use parking sensors to provide low-speed AEB and FCW. Note that most people have complained that doing so results in a lot of false activations during parking maneuvers or when getting too close to blades of grass and other mundane objects.

But definitely, in terms of driving habits, in any car with an adaptive cruise control system, you really want to train yourself to not rest your foot on the accelerator. Doing so will override its braking and in a lot of cases override both FCW and AEB.

It wasn't an error though as he commanded the car to move forward. No matter how you command the car to go forward, it will go forward at those speeds.

He was resting his foot on the gas pedal ready to "creep" forward in traffic when he got distracted.
If he was resting his foot on the brake with creep on in order to creep forward he would have commanded it to "stop" instead of "go" by accident.

He was resting his foot on the gas pedal ready to "creep" forward in traffic when he got distracted.
If he was resting his foot on the brake with creep on in order to creep forward he would have commanded it to "stop" instead of "go" by accident.
That's not quite how it works unless your foot is all the way on the brake. If it's not all the way down you'll continue to roll forward. Likewise you could similarly argue he wouldn't have gone anywhere at all if his foot wasn't on the accelerator at all.

Moral of the story: Don't rest your foot on the accelerator unless you wish to go with creep on or off.

That's not quite how it works unless your foot is all the way on the brake. If it's not all the way down you'll continue to roll forward. Likewise you could similarly argue he wouldn't have gone anywhere at all if his foot wasn't on the accelerator at all.

Moral of the story: Don't rest your foot on the accelerator unless you wish to go with creep on or off.

I leave my foot on the brake in traffic. It can be on there pretty lightly. You can screw up in either mode.
With creep off I can see why someone would have their foot just ready on the accelerator to "creep" forward.

Creep On is easier and less error prone in this situation (one foot driving and your foot is on "stand by" on a "safer" pedal).

I'll bet this little bump wouldn't have happened with Creep On. We can both speculate all we want. That's my speculation.

Moral of the story: Turn Creep On and you'll train your foot to "rest" on the brake in traffic.

I leave my foot on the brake in traffic. It can be on there pretty lightly. You can screw up in either mode.
With creep off I can see why someone would have their foot just ready on the accelerator to "creep" forward.

Creep On is easier and less error prone in this situation (one foot driving and your foot is on "stand by" on a "safer" pedal).

I'll bet this little bump wouldn't have happened with Creep On. We can both speculate all we want. That's my speculation.

Moral of the story: Turn Creep On and you'll train your foot to "rest" on the brake in traffic.

No, thank you! I have enough of that on my ICE cars.

Do you want nanny alerts and chimes and false braking events every time the car thinks you’re going to run into the car in front when you have your foot on the accelerator.
Or would you rather just take responsibility like an adult?
I’ll take the latter and forego the annoying alerts thanks

Do you want nanny alerts and chimes and false braking events every time the car thinks you’re going to run into the car in front when you have your foot on the accelerator.
Or would you rather just take responsibility like an adult?
I’ll take the latter and forego the annoying alerts thanks

Oh, yes I do. I do not believe to be infallible. I'd rather have the car nanny me than regret for that one case when I have slipped and caused some harm.

It doesn't matter whether the car nannies you or not - you have to be a responsible adult anyway.