Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic emergency braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a scary experience a couple of times in my first 1500 miles with the X (my first Tesla, third electric vehicle) and am wondering if it is some kind of hidden feature of the emergency braking system: a car quite a ways in front of me suddenly stops for some reason, so I hit the brakes rather hard myself (even though there is quite a bit of room between him and I) as a precaution...but the Tesla doesn't slow much at all. I start getting worried as I quickly approach this stopped (or soon to be stopped) car in front of me and really begin hitting the brakes hard, but the Tesla is taking a rather leisurely pace at slowing down. I panic and hit the brakes as hard as I can as I approach the car in front, hear some warning chimes as I begin thinking I'm going to hit this vehicle, and then emergency braking kicks in and I stop just in time.

Is the car trying to give me a heart attack, ignoring my hard braking because it doesn't detect an imminent collision, or is something broken? I'm tempted to try looking for an empty stretch of road and try just stomping the brake pedal as hard as I can to see if it will let me brake hard for no reason at all, as a test. Keep in mind autopilot was OFF in both situations (I didn't purchase it, and haven't upgraded to it yet). I haven't changed any emergency braking settings since picking up the car, so I assume they are set to default values.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
Does the AEB take into account the car distance behind you? I did check that mine is enabled after all.
It does not as it does not have an appropriate sensor that works at a great enough distance at a high enough speed. Ultrasonics are not sufficient for mitigating large amounts of crash energy. You'd need something more robust like radar, red-shift vision or lidar to mitigate at speed.

I have had a scary experience a couple of times in my first 1500 miles with the X (my first Tesla, third electric vehicle) and am wondering if it is some kind of hidden feature of the emergency braking system: a car quite a ways in front of me suddenly stops for some reason, so I hit the brakes rather hard myself (even though there is quite a bit of room between him and I) as a precaution...but the Tesla doesn't slow much at all. I start getting worried as I quickly approach this stopped (or soon to be stopped) car in front of me and really begin hitting the brakes hard, but the Tesla is taking a rather leisurely pace at slowing down. I panic and hit the brakes as hard as I can as I approach the car in front, hear some warning chimes as I begin thinking I'm going to hit this vehicle, and then emergency braking kicks in and I stop just in time.

Is the car trying to give me a heart attack, ignoring my hard braking because it doesn't detect an imminent collision, or is something broken? I'm tempted to try looking for an empty stretch of road and try just stomping the brake pedal as hard as I can to see if it will let me brake hard for no reason at all, as a test. Keep in mind autopilot was OFF in both situations (I didn't purchase it, and haven't upgraded to it yet). I haven't changed any emergency braking settings since picking up the car, so I assume they are set to default values.
@Scrith - if you hit the brakes yourself the AEB will not come into play. It does not override a user action. If you are using TACC, the car will take action to slow down and lessen the impact. It may not always be able to avoid a collision. However, the moment you press the brakes, TACC is off and so is AEB.

Following up on my post about poor braking at high speeds, I tested it on a long, straight, empty straightaway today and experienced something very similar: from 65 to 30 (or so) the braking is quite slow, perhaps due to the weight of the vehicle, then it grabs quite hard for a sudden stop. This seems dangerous...has anyone else noticed this problem (or not noticed it) when trying a sudden stop from high speed?

I guess my expectations are based on my last two vehicles, a 2013 LEAF and a 2004 BMW 330i ZHP, both of which seemed to be significantly more responsive during hard braking at high speeds.