Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They think getting to L4 on a geogfecned area is the only way to achive robotaxi status. And it should always have at least 20 sensors and use HD maps etc etc. In other words, they are dogmatic like rest of the industry.

Who do you think is more likely to have the right approach: the multiple companies with actual robotaxis on public roads or the one company (Tesla) with no robotaxis?

LOL. I simply shared a tweet. I am not a front man for anyone. And, I am analyzing things critically and independently.
So, the below is your "independent" analysis ? You need to up your game ;)

No, they don't only want simulations and test track testing. Read the tweet again. It says "prior to public road operation with a safety driver". They want real world testing, just after the simulation and test tracking.
When they have 3 sentences why emphasize this ?

There is no anti-Tesla parts in that tweet. It simply defines what autonomous driving is. Tesla fans are ridiculous. They see anti-Tesla bias everywhere, even in a simple statement of fact about autonomous driving.
The entire tweet is anti-Tesla. I think you are too naive. I'm seeing this industry for a decade (apart from being a political junkie for 3 decades) - I know a hit job when I see one.

Most people on this thread are anti-Tesla.

They think getting to L4 on a geogfecned area is the only way to achive robotaxi status. And it should always have at least 20 sensors and use HD maps etc etc. In other words, they are dogmatic like rest of the industry.

The majority of the people on this thread have Tesla's like myself.

We're intimately familiar with the cycle of promises and the let downs that follow. Right now you'll see a lot of excitement towards FSD Beta V11 that is just around the corner. But, will it significantly improve FSD Beta? I have no idea

The biggest problem with this thread is that its always the usual suspects. There isn't much in the way of new blood, and new insights.

The problem with usual suspects is you know where they're coming from before they speak

Like myself
  • Strongly believes in the government and private industry working together to do autonomous driving on a large scale before China beats us to it. This is critical to keeping a technological edge.
  • Strongly believes in HD Maps to a degree where I think we need a meta earth that is constantly refreshed
  • Is losing faith that anyone will be able to buy an L4 autonomous vehicle
  • Thinks L5 is a fairly tale
  • Doesn't like the SAE Levels - Its either driver assist or its L4 (L3 is some weird distraction)
  • Believe in the need for sensor redundancy and computer redundancy
  • Doesn't believe the current sensor suite in HW3 is capable of L4 driving
  • Doesn't believe a single company can SOLVE autonomous driving
  • Would invest in Zoox if he could
  • Doesn't like Tesla Elon, but likes SpaceX Elon
  • Sold his Tesla stock when Elon went 420 nutso (turned out to be a bad play, but zero faith is zero faith)
  • Defends Tesla on Arstechnica because that's the real deal when it comes to Anti-Tesla.
  • Thinks Tesla took the whole L2 thing too far with FSD Beta
  • Is one of the many Maps/Navigation complainers who want a way to report issues to get them fixed
  • Future Rivian owner because Tesla was so 2020
  • Believes the end of the world was actually in 2016 so this is just some alt-verse where everything is upside down. So everything I do and say might be wrong. Basically don't trust anything I say because I'm so <2016, and reality is different these days.
  • Thinks Star Trek has gotten a bit emo lately. Even the ships computer had a mental health day. Not sure if we need that in our Tesla so lets be a bit careful with the whole General AI thing.

Last edited:
If you are going to have thousands of Autonomous electric vehicles in cities and suburbs you will need a lot more charging stations. You may need autonomous charging stations as well. It is just not practical for every cars to return to depot every time they need to charge

The great thing about autonomous super charging stations is people won't be able to ICE them.

The snake charger will simply tap their car until they move it.

The majority of the people on this thread have Tesla's like myself.

We're intimately familiar with the cycle of promises and the let downs that follow.
But a lot of anti-Tesla / pro-ICE folks too.

Among Tesla folks, most are disgruntled people who are angry Tesla hasn’t delivered yet. You find support for Tesla position in the investor thread, not here.

If people posted the same anti-Tesla stuff in the market thread, they would be banned in 5 minutes.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Feels like an apple to oranges comparison. Cruise only works in a small area and needs remote monitoring. Tesla works (poorly?) with driver monitoring on all paved streets. My money is on Tesla several years down the road offering a meaningful L4 before I can use mobileye or a robotaxi service reliably across the U.S. Main reason is that Elon is a risk taker and others are sheepish. Also believe Tesla won't have the best product from a technical perspective, but because Elon is willing to toss it out there, it will be useable before others. Before L4, believe it is likely we will see L3 first, perhaps 2.5+ years down the road.

Reactions: WhiteWi
If you are going to have thousands of Autonomous electric vehicles in cities and suburbs you will need a lot more charging stations. You may need autonomous charging stations as well. It is just not practical for every cars to return to depot every time they need to charge
What if you could build multiple structures throughout the city for the AVs to park and charge?
Like this:
1643845883501.png

Sure, we can't say for sure who will "win" yet but we can say which approach is showing the best results so far. And so far, the "20 sensors and HD maps" approach is showing the best results.
That is because you are completely ignoring the geo dimension. Let Waymo demonstrate their techonology working in top 100 cities in the world. As Mobileye and GM also say, apart from Tesla, Waymo approach doesn’t scale.

The problem is people are comparing vectors as if they are scalars.

Reactions: WhiteWi
-tesMost people on this thread are anti-Tesla.

Im definitely not anti tesla. The engineering that goes into the product to achieve the range/speed/handling, etc? Incredible. No question.
But some of us are tired of the CEO repeatedly lying and making absurd timelines for the sake of revenue generation. If he'd essentially shut up and hire a reputable marketing/PR person/team? Tesla would be better off.

Twitter isnt always beneficial for everyone. Reminds me of a guy I know who quite possibly could have won the presidency last go around...if he simply didnt tweet..

Im definitely not anti tesla. The engineering that goes into the product to achieve the range/speed/handling, etc? Incredible. No question.
But some of us are tired of the CEO repeatedly lying and making absurd timelines for the sake of revenue generation.

How many times have you (and others) been corrected on this now?

FSD money for undelivered features is not revenue and can not be booked as such under the rules of accounting

That money is actually on the books as a liability until the promised features are actually delivered.

So the idea Elon is "lying to pad revenue" is unsupported by actual facts and math.

Well based on your logic, money coming to Tesla from customers for FSD, is bad. not good. So why keep raising the price, if doing so creates MORE of a "liability" for Tesla.

He consistently and repeatedly states mistruths about FSD's capabilities past/present/ and anytime near future. (What happened to the promised feature of the car parking itself, by the way? Going across country with zero human intervention?) The name itself ("FULL SELF Driving") is extremely misleading.

Fact is: misrepresenting what it will be able to do ANYTIME soon, results in more money flowing from customers to Tesla. And finally, the general public/media see through him.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
"Elon Musk is the slickest of slick hucksters, a master mountebank who has sold the world on the illusion that his domain's worth multiple times its true value. "He's done good stuff, but he's leading the market's new genre of snake oil salesmen,"

"Musk's promises of riches from non-EV businesses are only getting more and more outlandish. Remember the Cybertruck, FSD, paradigm-shifting battery technology, solar panels, and now robots?" None of these forays, "has produced meaningful profits."

• Informative
Reactions: Baumisch